Strange deer behavior for late October

CrossVolle

I'll be in Adams county as well in about 1 1/2 wks.
Sounds like you gona hafta start breeding that mare in August for some spring babies 👶
Warm, slow and wet. That about sums it up. Weather was horrendous. 72 degrees or pouring and in some cases both. Neighbor did kill a really nice 10-point. Green scored 158 5/8. Beautiful buck. I had never had that deer on camera so I am assuming he stuck pretty tight on him.

What i did find particularly interesting was on the drive in Saturday morning i saw two really nice bucks hop the road on me. Running right there together. I pulled over there, rolled the window and was sure to let them know it was October 28th and this was unacceptable.

Went through about 10 SD cards with nothing really to note. Rather discouraging considering all the 3 year olds that were passed last year. Not quite understanding it at this point but i guess that is life. 1 for sure shooter, and another that i probably would shoot but would likely be a booner next year if i did not. But, the rut undoubtedly bring some bucks that we have not seen yet so i am optimistic considering the area.

Left out this morning not being able to hunt the morning because of a unmanageable monsoon. I'll be back for November 9th for a couple days but that is likely all she wrote for me. Might try to get out to Fort Campbell or something later in November.

Interested in what all @Ski has been seeing.

Ski

Interested in what all @Ski has been seeing.

Haven't seen much in person yet. Drew on a 10pt tonight but didn't shoot. He was young and spindly rack. Saw big frame coming and was excited but then I saw how young he was and let him go on his way.

My bigger older bucks are getting beat up by something. One is probably booner class and he just got his right beam broke off a couple days ago. That's the second mature buck with broken beam this year, plus a third with gore holes in his neck and hind leg. Hoping to see what's doing it. Woods are busy up here right now.

20231027_210955.jpg

20231029_130426.jpg

20231029_130533.jpg

CrossVolle

Haven't seen much in person yet. Drew on a 10pt tonight but didn't shoot. He was young and spindly rack. Saw big frame coming and was excited but then I saw how young he was and let him go on his way.

My bigger older bucks are getting beat up by something. One is probably booner class and he just got his right beam broke off a couple days ago. That's the second mature buck with broken beam this year, plus a third with gore holes in his neck and hind leg. Hoping to see what's doing it. Woods are busy up here right now.

View attachment 200886
View attachment 200887
View attachment 200888
Man that is WILD! Guy there tonight saw his target buck at about 150 yards. He is a killer that deers days are numbered. Hes a dark chocolate racked main frame 10 and i bet he weighs 300 pounds.

I will be back to see what i can get done. Keep updating on the happenings in the meantime.

Ski

Man that is WILD! Guy there tonight saw his target buck at about 150 yards. He is a killer that deers days are numbered. Hes a dark chocolate racked main frame 10 and i bet he weighs 300 pounds.

I will be back to see what i can get done. Keep updating on the happenings in the meantime.

Sounds like a stud! Hope yall get on him.

BigDave12

This guy got his entire main beam broken off. He was perfect on the 9th & then next pic I get of him is the 15th and he's only got one antler!

View attachment 199725View attachment 199726
Last year I had 3 studs I had been monitoring through late summer and early fall. By the time mid Oct rolled around, a very large bodied 6pt decided he would fight any of them and did so. I had numerous videos of him fighting those studs in my food plots between Oct 19 and Oct 27. After that, the studs disappeared but the 6pt remained. The 6pt was a heavy antlered 6 with a big body, but his back was just average in length and height (he had mass though). Needless to say he was my Bully Buck and I took care of the problem about the 4th day of gun season. On Dec 11, one of the studs showed back up (at night though) but none of the others did. One of them was killed by my neighbor I found out this past spring. So, you may have Bully Buck on your hands too and he doesn't have to be bigger than your Big Boys to cause damage.

BigDave12

I'll be around the area starting Sunday and probably stay thru Wed next wk. DeerCast shows it to be promising so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It will be my son's first bow hunt ever up there too. Can't wait! I have had great luck with DeerCast over the years. It's amazing how accurate that thing can be!

CrossVolle

I'll be around the area starting Sunday and probably stay thru Wed next wk. DeerCast shows it to be promising so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It will be my son's first bow hunt ever up there too. Can't wait! I have had great luck with DeerCast over the years. It's amazing how accurate that thing can be!
Headed up the 9th and weather looks delicious if it holds.

BigDave12

I told you guys wrong earlier in this chain. I am in Scioto county, but not too far from Chilicothe. Got in the woods for my first sit yesterday afternoon. Was in the woods less than an hour and took a nice 8pt. Only have 2 days to hunt so I made the most of the chance I had. FYI - use a grunt call right now!!! He turned around and came in on a string - hard too. Got my son in my spot the rest of the time in hopes a big boy shows up. We all have to leave Tues around mid day and this is our only "annual" trip up here. Keeping our fingers crossed! Hope you guys do well too.

BigDave12

Cool! My daughter plays volleyball there so I got the hat when she was a freshman and have tried making it my good luck hat since. She's a senior there now and will graduate next May.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I told you guys wrong earlier in this chain. I am in Scioto county, but not too far from Chilicothe. Got in the woods for my first sit yesterday afternoon. Was in the woods less than an hour and took a nice 8pt. Only have 2 days to hunt so I made the most of the chance I had. FYI - use a grunt call right now!!! He turned around and came in on a string - hard too. Got my son in my spot the rest of the time in hopes a big boy shows up. We all have to leave Tues around mid day and this is our only "annual" trip up here. Keeping our fingers crossed! Hope you guys do well too.
I arrowed one Saturday morning in Decatur County within a few minutes after shaking a rattle bag. All was quiet from before first shooting light and I decided to give the rattling a try at about 7:10 (sunrise at 7:17) and shot the buck at 7:15. I don't know if the rattling had an impact but maybe.

Last edited:

DeerCamp

No idea Mega. It's a crazy year, and I honestly believe this year is still being influenced by last year (in the areas hit hardest by the drought).
I've also seen the same thing.

Over the weekend had 2 mature bucks feeding in a food plot in the middle of the afternoon together. Not 5 yards apart.

Lot's of daylight activity too.

tbadon

Saw a nice 8pt apparently tending a doe in the middle of a soybean field Sunday afternoon. Earliest for me I have ever seen.

Latest posts