Mature deer behavior?

74MOPAR

How much intrusion will a mature buck put up with? Example, is just winding you enough to alter their travel patterns? Or seeing a human make them move completely? I know it's a never ending subject with tons of variables I was just curious to hear a few opinions.

BSK

I think that depends on how much human intrusion/interaction they are used to. In remote areas with little human traffic until deer season, they won't put up with much. In farmland, where farmers/people are going through all the time, they will ignore any activity they deem nonthreatening.

I intentionally try to acclimate deer on my place to my presence. I work in the food plots, wander through the woods all year, work cameras, etc. without making any effort to hide my scent or presence. In fact, I will vape my strong-smelling vape even around scrapes I'm monitoring with cameras. I'll drive up to the camera on ATV, work the camera, sit and vape for a minute or two, and then leave. Mature bucks will be working that scrape an hour later. They pay me little attention because they smell me all year, and the vast majority of the time, I'm harmless to them.

killingtime 41

Remote areas where they never see or smell a human. They will leave most of the time without you ever knowing they were there. Doe's are the same way in the remote areas. Just not as ghost like as the bucks are. It's really all about how often they smell human scent. And if they do smell humans and if most of the time it isn't usually connected to danger then you're fine. But you bust him in a bed regardless he's gonna use a different bed. In the mountains they have several beds depending on thermals and wind direction. Ski had a brilliant graph on lulls in wind and movement. That's normally why the old bucks are moving at that time in my estimation.

deerhunter10

Depends on a somethings. I think one thing is how much will he put up with where he is fully nocturnal. They already don't daylight much but I do think you can effect daylight movement pretty easy. We have bumped deer while working and have pictures of them an hour or two later. Most of our farms are working farms, and we also as bsk said try to make them somewhat use to us. The only thing we don't do we don't penetrate alot of our woods a ton. We check all of our cameras that aren't cell with our side by side or tractors. A lot of factors and every deer is different. We killed a deer last year that was shot 2 years ago and I swear he lived on 20 to 30 acres. Even after he was shot still got pictures but he only daylighted after he was shot twice once on camera once when he was finally killed. (That we know of of course)

Ski

I keep hearing stories of guy spooking bucks out of their beds then going back in and killing those same bucks as they come back to bed in that same spot. I'd guess that would probably depend on the area of the country your hunting.

I've heard the same. It's no doubt true with some bucks. I'm not sure how many times you've gotta do it before it works. I know on my own place if I get too close and spook one out, I don't see him in person or on camera for weeks, sometimes ever again. On a big tract of public where they get bumped a lot they might come back because it's still the safest place.

fairchaser

I can tell you one thing they won't tolerate is seeing or smelling you in a tree! Also, I see hunters leaving their stands hanging on the tree. I've been guilty of that too. But, what do you think deer are doing all night and when you aren't there? Smelling your stand! That's right. I pull my stand every time unless I'm coming back the same day.

TheLBLman

Mature bucks are just generally less predictable than younger ones.

Although should you have years of studying a particular buck, you may be able to predict his future actions better than a particular younger one. With exception to large public hunting tracts, most TN hunters don't have enough acreage to encompass most bucks' lifetime range shifting.

However, mature bucks often utilize less acreage at maturity, sometimes spending a year apparently never leaving an area as small as 100 acres (or less). Unless you disturb them too much, then they "move over" to some other 100 acres.

They are also more wary, and in many respects, their behavior can be so very different from a 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 that you can think of the mature buck as a different species of animal.

While they are more likely to be mostly nocturnal, they are also more likely to be moving in mid-day.

Go figure.

They also have a tendency to follow (often at a considerable distance) younger bucks, and am not talking about "young" bucks, but more the case of a 5 1/2-yr-old trailing a 4 1/2-yr-old. They may be so far apart each appears a "loner", but the more mature one is using the younger one to be first in checking for any danger.

Another tendency is to parallel trails more than walking on the more established trails. You may have a parade of deer, including 2 1/2 & 3 1/2 yr old bucks come by. Later, the mature one RUNS by, parallel to the others (typically downwind of the trail).

Which brings up another trait:

They have more a tendency to run from Point A to Point B,
as opposed to simply slipping along a trail.

The mature one may stand motionless for a long period as the other deer mosey along. Then suddenly, he just takes off in a flat out run, only to stop again, and stand for a long period.

Making them even more unpredictable, they are more likely to "cut a diagonal", and do so in a flat out run.

They may be following along behind other deer, off-set to the other deer's trail by 75 yds, perhaps 150 yds behind them, but the deer they're "following" are on a trail that twists & curves. Next thing you know, the mature buck takes a "short cut" by "cutting the diagonal", maybe only needing to periodically "run" 150 yds for every 250 yds the other deer are more steadily just mosying along.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

A couple years ago, on the very last day of TN's season, I watched a familiar 6 1/2 yr old buck stand motionless from right about sundown, until it became so dark I could no longer see him, or any the other bucks which had begun entering the field right at sundown. This was a familiar bachelor group ranging in age from 2 1/2 to 6 1/2. One 4 1/2 was a 130-class 8-pointer, which was considerably above average for TN. This 4 1/2 was always next to last to step out, the 6 1/2 was always last, and way last. By his behavior, if any "trophy" buck got shot, it would more likely be one of the others, particularly the 130-class 4 1/2 that stepped out in good shooting light.

That particular 6 1/2 was one I had named "Buford" and he was my #1 target buck in 2021. Came very close to getting him the last two days of the season. Came close, but never could get a high-probability opportunity. The next (last) day, I had him nearly dead to rights, but never had a good look at anything other than his head. Was just waiting for him to take only 3 or 4 steps, and waited, and waited about 30 minutes, by which time couldn't even see the other deer in the field.

It's a very different kind of a challenge to hunt a specific buck.

"Buford" was killed by a bowhunting friend in October 2022 @ 300 yds from where I had nearly killed him in early January 2022. He was 7 1/2 yrs old, and appeared to be in excellent health with a wide 140-plus-class mainframe 8-point rack.

Unfortunately, the bowhunter never recovered "Buford". I spent the late winter trying to find his remains to no avail. Since the trail cam pics stopped and we never saw him again, seemed a certainty the arrow wound was lethal. There was heavy rain and heavy flooding soon after he was hit, and I think he probably was washed down the creek and into the TN River. The creek we tracked him to rose from about a foot of water to over 6 feet, overflowing its banks.

Last edited:

BSK

I keep hearing stories of guy spooking bucks out of their beds then going back in and killing those same bucks as they come back to bed in that same spot. I'd guess that would probably depend on the area of the country your hunting.
I hear these stories as well. Every area is different and deer react to their local conditions. In areas where bedding locations are very limited, I guess I can accept this idea of bucks having A bed. But in the GPS-collar studies I was involved with, where we had bucks and does collared with GPS units collecting positions every 20 minutes for months on end, one thing that really stood out is that the deer - including older bucks - NEVER bedded in the same spot twice. This makes biological sense. By constantly moving bedding locations, predators cannot key in on them.

fairchaser

I had the opportunity to hunt Ensley unit many years ago when it was very good. Since 8 pointers were off limits, I had this giant 8 pointer 140 class, buck ease through my shooting lane. I got to observe this mature buck at close range for over 30 minutes and it taught me a great deal about their behavior. He stood motionless for long stretches of time, only moving his head. He was watching and smelling only. Any movement, sound or smell, he picked up on immediately. I think many hunters get detected long before they ever see this age buck! And the buck simply eases out of their area!

BSK

I had the opportunity to hunt Ensley unit many years ago when it was very good. Since 8 pointers were off limits, I had this giant 8 pointer 140 class, buck ease through my shooting lane. I got to observe this mature buck at close range for over 30 minutes and it taught me a great deal about their behavior. He stood motionless for long stretches of time, only moving his head. He was watching and smelling only. Any movement, sound or smell, he picked up on immediately. I think many hunters get detected long before they ever see this age buck! And the buck simply eases out of their area!
I would agree with you. Mature bucks are a different animal.

JCDEERMAN

Another tendency is to parallel trails more than walking on the more established trails. You may have a parade of deer, including 2 1/2 & 3 1/2 yr old bucks come by. Later, the mature one RUNS by, parallel to the others (typically downwind of the trail).

Which brings up another trait:

They have more a tendency to run from Point A to Point B,
as opposed to simply slipping along a trail.

The mature one may stand motionless for a long period as the other deer mosey along. Then suddenly, he just takes off in a flat out run, only to stop again, and stand for a long period.

Making them even more unpredictable, they are more likely to "cut a diagonal", and do so in a flat out run.

They may be following along behind other deer, off-set to the other deer's trail by 75 yds, perhaps 150 yds behind them, but the deer they're "following" are on a trail that twists & curves. Next thing you know, the mature buck takes a "short cut" by "cutting the diagonal", maybe only needing to periodically "run" 150 yds for every 250 yds the other deer are more steadily just mosying along.
I'm sure I've seen them do it, but most encounters I've had aren't "running", but more of a "on a mission walk"….getting to a predetermined location A. Then a predetermined location B. Those locations may by 20 yards, may be 100 yards depending on terrain and his ability to, as you say, parallel or determine what the deer ahead of him did. Them cutting corners is a real thing. I've seen them do it many times on changes in habitat from thickets lining edges of hardwood mature timber. And them standing motionless for long periods of time, that one will get you. We as humans tend to "settle" after a few minutes, even after we highly suspect what we just saw was a mature deer. Only to let our guard down enough to miss that narrow opportunity 30 minutes later or so much so to never see him again.

LenS

I hear these stories as well. Every area is different and deer react to their local conditions. In areas where bedding locations are very limited, I guess I can accept this idea of bucks having A bed. But in the GPS-collar studies I was involved with, where we had bucks and does collared with GPS units collecting positions every 20 minutes for months on end, one thing that really stood out is that the deer - including older bucks - NEVER bedded in the same spot twice. This makes biological sense. By constantly moving bedding locations, predators cannot key in on them.

Would you mind elaborating on this a little, please? Were the next beds 100 feet away, 100 yards away, etc? I assume the bucks had general bedding areas but the specific location varied within their "sanctuary"?

hitek7

I bumped my target buck 2 or 3 years ago checking a camera at 11AM. I went back in at 1PM and had not even gotten sit down when I saw him coming back down the hill. Granted he was bedded with a doe when jumped and followed her back in.

Latest posts