Mature buck poll

If you had one tag left and saw a fully mature buck with inferior horns do you shoot or not?

• Yes

• No

• Depends on situation

Results are only viewable after voting.

hbg1

let's say he might score 110"; feel free to explain your choice

Last edited:

TN Larry

It depends on the situation for me and how inferior his antlers are. If anytime before 12/1, then no. Mid December is a maybe and late season is a probably.

Edit to add: If now considering 110" of antler, this is not much below the average for my area so changes things a little. It still depends and a maybe anytime before 12/1 but a probably anytime after.

Last edited:

Omega

I hunt numbers, if I need 1, 2 or even three deer I get what ever I see as long as they are out of spots and not a button. For the guys that pay for the processing, I do try and make sure they are big bodied deer, to make it worth it for them.

megalomaniac

All day long. I LOVE to kill the old bucks noone else wants. If it's mature and less than 120in, it's a cull on my places.

Now same mature buck and 125in, I'm passing. Save that for someone else for what might be their biggest buck ever.

Problem I have is my neighbors high grade all the 110in 2.5yos 130in 3.5yos we pass up, so the only deer hitting maturity are the ones at the bottom end of the gene pool. We have the genetics to produce 150 to 170in deer... but in reality our area realizes a bazillion 130 class deer. Most of those are 2.5 and 3.5yos.

deerhunter10

Yes 10 percent and no 90 percent of the time. If he is a deer that we have a history with that has never put on any inches possibly. We are blessed with a lot of acres and several farms. Theres year i wish we could get management tags this year being one of them. Would be easier if he was a cool deer with some trash or something. We actually took a mature deer off the shoot list this past week. Pretty sure 4.5 and pictures had him bigger racked then he actually was. With racks seeming down across the board this year most of our 4.5 year old deer have been taken off the shoot list. While I think a mature deer is a trophy it's hard for me to burn a tag on a 110 inch deer personally and I'm different then others the later in the season it gets the easier it is for me to pass them as the major hunting pressure is done.

tree_ghost

I'm taking him with my longbow yes
I'm passing him with my compound.
Love it or hate it, my personal goal in hunting right now is to kill the largest racked mature buck I can find. I set the goal of a 160" in Tn and accomplished that this season. I have passed 2 other deer since I shot that one in August that were in the low to mid 140's inside bow range. I have set my mind on killing one particular deer as of now and if I do I think I'll have a Tn B&C typical….

Snake

It would really depend on the situation. Younger me probably not but now most likely . I know some go strictly on age but not me . History with why his headgear was less than it should be , historically always less, injury , etc . Some keep telling me there's no such thing as a cull 😁 for those that quality manage their deer herd should cull something like this but i don't have proper tools to do this . In the past I've tried to not shoot the younger bucks but time is slipping away from me .

backyardtndeer

Depends on the situation. I have let two bucks that I think may have been 4.5 walk this season. I had already killed one early on in the season, and my wife also killed one, so it's not like we are short on meat. Hoping still to get my son his first deer too, so that factors in. If it was the last day of season and I was convinced the deer would never amount to anything better than it was while i was watching it, I might squeeze the trigger. Honestly can't put myself in that moment without physically being there. I can say though that the two I shot with my phone camera earlier this season just didn't trip my trigger.

rem270

let's say he might score 110"; feel free to explain your choice
I've seen 3 mature bucks this year. First was Oct 8th. 8 pt,130"+- 6.5 year old deer. I gave him a pass because I only get 1 buck in Ky (1 buck limit works). Oct 30th I passed up a 4.5 year old 8 pt that would be lucky to hit 105". Nov 22nd I killed a 129" 11 pt. I had zero history with that deer but I believe he was 5.5. If I had to do it all over again I would have shot the 6.5 8 pt in early Oct. I have history with him and I would've been just as proud of not a little more.

If I was in TN with a 2 buck limit then I would hunt age mostly.

Ski

Most generally yes regardless of antler size. But I passed a 5yr old buck twice this season because he had a broken antler and I'm fairly sure he'll survive to next season. But normally yes I shoot mature bucks even with little antlers. Killed one this year that probably didn't hit 110", but he was old.

Southern Sportsman

Most generally yes regardless of antler size. But I passed a 5yr old buck twice this season because he had a broken antler and I'm fairly sure he'll survive to next season. But normally yes I shoot mature bucks even with little antlers. Killed one this year that probably didn't hit 110", but he was old.
Good point. Mature but badly broken antlers, no. Mature but below average antlers, yes.

JCDEERMAN

I'm shooting him

Edit to say…..if he is all broke off from fighting and maybe half rack, I'm not shooting. I passed our biggest one on camera in 2021 due to half of his rack broke off. If it's just a genes issue, I'm shooting

Latest posts