Mid day movement of mature bucks?

TboneD

Shot one of my best Sunday after Thanksgiving this year at about 2 pm, not 10 minutes after reaching my stand (public ground).

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5701.jpeg
    IMG_5701.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 19

DoubleRidge

Here's a screenshot. It's on page 12 of their recent publication. The link to it is posted under the screenshot. Hopefully it works. It's a PDF that will download. I linked a youtube video as well of them analyzing the data.

I believe I got confused with some of the info. I was watching the youtube explanation of it while following along in the PDF and they were talking faster than I was reading I think. I made a mistake. Clearly the 12,000 acres is average for mobile bucks. They have bucks broken down into two groups, sedentary and mobile. I mistakingly lumped them into one.

It's an incredibly interesting study and seems to be pretty comprehensive compared to other studies I've seen. There were some affirmations to stuff I thought was happening based on experience but there were also a lot of surprises. Well worth a read and listen if you need to get away from the holiday crowd for an hour or two.
Interesting information...There will certainly be a time period during the holiday that I'll have time to listen :) Thanks for sharing!!!

Hawk103161

3 of these 5 were killed midday. 1 in the middle was killed at 10:55, the 1 on the far left against the wall was killed at 11:30 and the 1 on far right was killed at 10:45. If it was a law that you could only hunt 4 hours a day I'd hunt from 10 til 2 in November and December.
Nice trophy wall

TboneD

Dam fine buck
Congrats on your best and i love the auto crane!!!!
Yes sir! Not the biggest rack but body size….you should've seen the length of those back straps! And nephew's truck crane sure did come in handy! He's a welder and we're so proud of him, and thankful he could come up from MS to hunt with me. He go a doe the morning before, his first public land deer and went to church with us Sunday mornin before our afternoon hunt. Got him to buy the full year non-resident so I'm looking to even more hunts with him!
Thank you for the kind words and God bless!
Dave

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    740.1 KB · Views: 15

MusicCityCajun

I'm finding more mid day (12-3) movement of mature bucks. Do you think this is just the coincidence of the rut or do mature bucks select these times to avoid hunting pressure?

Mississippi state put out a new research paper on their buck movement studies. Nothing revolutionary but pretty interesting read.

Latest posts