Hottest october ever…..

redblood

Looking at the 30 day forecasts, it may end up that way. Lots of mid 80s and nothing remotely close to a frost in the 30 day forecast. Even worse, no rain. Another terrible yr for my plots. Luckily, i cut what i oanted in half and let the weeds take over. Doubling down on cover. Hope im wrong!

tellico4x4

Looking at the 30 day forecasts, it may end up that way. Lots of mid 80s and nothing remotely close to a frost in the 30 day forecast. Even worse, no rain. Another terrible yr for my plots. Luckily, i cut what i oanted in half and let the weeds take over. Doubling down on cover. Hope im wrong!
I'm hoping for late frost to brassica a chance. Looks like fronts are going to pick up in a week or 10 days. Question is how much moisture they'll have...

redblood

I'm hoping for late frost to brassica a chance. Looks like fronts are going to pick up in a week or 10 days. Question is how much moisture they'll have...
I get so frustrated, the closer we get to these "fronts" the more they tick up the temps and dial back the moisture. I have turnips, rye and wheat that desperately need a drink. And i have about 500 more rye to overseed but im afraid to spread it

killingtime 41

I watch some of the YouTube weather men. They say cold weather coming in mid October. Not sure if it'll come to fruition of course. And several saying we are in store for a cold snowy winter due to super El Niño weather pattern through winter.

BSK

The long, long-range models had been consistently showing big cold fronts in early to mid-October. However, this morning's run has taken those out and doesn't forecast a big cold snap until about Oct 22. Hoping this morning's run was just an outlier. But I strongly suspect this is going to be one of those hot MZ seasons I hate so much, where it's dry as a bone and temps in the 80s.

redblood

I think you're in better shape than I am. I've almost $4,000 in lime, fertilizer and seed on the ground, and I suspect all of it will be wasted.
Fertilizer and drought hanging out together make me nervous. We burned up many a field by spreading chicken manure and not getting rain even though it was "forecasted"

Andy S.

I hate it for those of you who gambled on food plots, as it is not looking good. I'm afraid the FIRST time I flushed $2-4k down the drain, would be the last. Tough pill to swallow. Is there ANY contingency plan, or course of action to influence somewhat of a favorable outcome?

Last edited:

MR Yote

Sow wheat straight on top of the ground or cereal ryegrass. Could work it in if wanted to but not needed. With the heavy dews we've had in the mornings I got a pretty decent stand of wheat. Probably double the recommended rate just because some seeds will not germinate and some are gonna be eat by the birds.

Huntaholic

Yall should dig a little deeper than the sensationalized BS they call weather forecasting now days. October has ALWAYS been traditionally DRY and quite warm. As a logger, I pay attention to weather trends over SEVERAL years and Sept and Oct ARE normally the dryest months of the year.
Now come November, once it starts raining, it will last for 3 months typically until Feb, and we usually get some dry days then.
Forecasting the weather has become like everything else associated with the media, they blow smoke up your arse to make themselves seem like they are important.
El-nino, ElPaso, Eltaco, its all a ploy to keep you watching them! If I planned my work by the "meteorlogists" I would have went broke years ago. The old saying goes: "a man will lose a crop waiting on the weatherman to be right".

UTGrad

Yall should dig a little deeper than the sensationalized BS they call weather forecasting now days. October has ALWAYS been traditionally DRY and quite warm. As a logger, I pay attention to weather trends over SEVERAL years and Sept and Oct ARE normally the dryest months of the year.
Now come November, once it starts raining, it will last for 3 months typically until Feb, and we usually get some dry days then.
Forecasting the weather has become like everything else associated with the media, they blow smoke up your arse to make themselves seem like they are important.
El-nino, ElPaso, Eltaco, its all a ploy to keep you watching them! If I planned my work by the "meteorlogists" I would have went broke years ago. The old saying goes: "a man will lose a crop waiting on the weatherman to be right".

100% and the media sensationalizes normal weather patterns. "Climate change likely contributor to current heat wave".

No chit there is a heat wave, it's summer.

Latest posts