Outrageous processing fee!!

Lost Lake

Another reason we do our own.

But then I'm lucky with family. When it's "butchering day," everyone shows up and we handle it is an assembly line. I do the skinning and removal of major sections (hams, shoulders, backstraps, etc.) and other family members specialized in disassembling these large pieces, removing fat and silver-skin, while other do the grinding, final cuts for steaks/roasts, and then another does packaging/labelling for the freezer.

We average an hour per deer. Three deer, three hours work start to finish and clean kitchen.
You're lucky. That kind of atmosphere would make it a lot more enjoyable.

Robtattoo

I enjoy the work enough that i process all my own, plus for a couple of good friends.
I can have a deer cleaned, cut, portioned & vacuum packed in around 3 hours now. I generally end up doing 15-20 in a season.
I'm lucky, having a cooled basement that I can just leave set up for hanging & butchering, plus several chest freezers (I bought them all used, cheap on Facebook)

I don't charge my buddies anything, but I do ask for vacuum rolls in exchange ($30 for 4 of the big, 80' rolls on Amazon)

Spurhunter

You can't be ocd about hair and silver skin and take one to a processor. I promise you they aren't ocd about it.
While it's probably true of most processors, and nobody is going to be as OCD about the product as I am, you can't possibly speak for all processors. I have exactly one processor I use and they do excellent work.

Jcalder

While it's probably true of most processors, and nobody is going to be as OCD about the product as I am, you can't possibly speak for all processors. I have exactly one processor I use and they do excellent work.
My point is no one will do it like yourself. If a processor does 1000 deer a season, they don't have time to be too meticulous. I'm not saying they won't do good work, but they won't take the pains you would.

TX300mag

I have processed hundreds over the years. My 10 year-old son can do it all the way to finished jerky, he's even learning how to can.

I can understand why people will pay for good processing. It's worth it. There are times I wish I had a good one close to me. If I wasn't feeding a large family I would gladly trade sone processing time for more hunting.

Crappieaddict

I spent several years in the 70's working at a country grocery store. At that time you were allowed to process cattle without having them USDA inspected. Starting in fall we would have a large walk in cooler filled and requiring a 2 week reservation (sometimes more) to bring a cow in. We had to process 3-4 per day to keep up….plus process our meat that we sold. Needless to say, we all got pretty good at it. No deer, but they are just a smaller version of a cow….plus, there were very, very few deer around. I say all of that to say, I do my own, but if there was a close processor, I certainly would use them for a least a portion. It takes time!

DoubleRidge

Skinned, quartered, removed thick fat and silver skin...Tenderloins went in the fridge and took these four pans of pure meat to a local processor and had summer sausage made...garlic, jalapeño and cheddar....all vacuum sealed...charged $3.75 per pound....very pleased with end product.
20231121_083725.jpg

Attachments

• 20231116_135146.jpg
    20231116_135146.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231116_101607.jpg
    20231116_101607.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 37

Weegee

Skinned, quartered, removed thick fat and silver skin...Tenderloins went in the fridge and took these four pans of pure meat to a local processor and had summer sausage made...garlic, jalapeño and cheddar....all vacuum sealed...charged $3.75 per pound....very pleased with end product.View attachment 204229
You went to all that trouble only to have someone else make summer sausage? The hard part was already done!

DoubleRidge

You went to all that trouble only to have someone else make summer sausage? The hard part was already done!
I avoid a skining, quartering and deboning charge...saves money. And I dont have a grinder...plus I've never made summer sausage...but I do have cutting board's and knives and enjoy being part of the process.
But to answer your question I make the effort to provide clean meat so I wont have any chewy surpises or hair in my sausage...also not a fan of deer fat and silver skin.
Very pleased with the end product...I've done business with our processor many years and I know I'm getting my meat back...maybe someday I'll invest in a nice grinder....for now this works.

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

lol, I get it. Getcha a grinder, man. I've got a cheap one from bass pro, only use it about once a year. It'll pay for itself in no time.
I need to...this stuff is fantastic....I did snack sticks last time and they were good...but this summer sausage along with some sharp cheddar cheese and saltine crackers makes a meal!... delicious!

Attachments

• 20231121_154959.jpg
    20231121_154959.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts