Outrageous processing fee!!

Urban_Hunter

Well I took mine to shackle island today too after making two trips to flowers. At 10:30 I was the 22nd truck in line but they didn't open til noon apparently. Left and ate, came back at noon and there was over 50 trucks. They're so slow unloading 1 at a time I figured it's over 5 minutes per truck at 55 trucks we were looking at close to 5 hours of wait time.

I quit going to shackle island because flowers vacuum seals. I'm hoping in the last few years shackle island has started, but I didn't even ask as I had no other option.

I used to process my own… but dang it takes FOREVER to package everything and clean up. I'll gladly pay $100 and get my weekend back

ScLowCountry

Same here. I spend way too much time, amazes me how some say they can do a deer from field to freezer in .. minutes. I have hours into every deer, and I just don't seem to get any faster.
I can quarter a deer and have it in a cooler in 10 minutes. Then 20 mins to go get ice and bag up the guys. Deboning and trimming takes an hour and a half. Grinding ect is an hour. And packaging is 30 mins. Then 30 min cleanup.

So four hours from tailgate to freezer, if you tally it all up.

nso123

I have not personally, but the friend who told me that they were under new ownership and now taking deer to process said that he has heard that they are clean and do good work. Just hearsay I know, but I'm taking a chance on them being good, and that they are the closest around for this area. 😁
Well, I suppose I will find out. I just dropped one off. 🤣🤣

archer19

I got blasted for $120 on my last one…..
Sons is in fridge now…….
Backstraps gonna be vac sealed along with the football roasts…..
Rest is gonna be canned for soups and fajitas
Gonna pressure can some in a finished venison stew also.

WilcoKen

What I've started doing is pulling backstraps and tenderloins (very easy), cut out a neck roast, pull the front shoulders and make jerky from those. The 2 back hams I take to processor in a box for a standard cut (steaks/burger). It's $30. I age it all in a dry cooler for 3-5 days at about 34° before I cut jerky, butterfly backstraps and take hams to processor. Once I buy a quality grinder I will do it all myself.

DoubleRidge

No. You can pay to have sausage made but I don't. I make my own. It costs me about $3/lb to make summer sausage myself at home. Probably cheaper to get it from processor but I like mine better.
Local processor is 3.75/lb. for summer sausage...garlic, jalapeño and cheddar...and it's vacuum sealed...not cheap but good stuff...we skin, quarter, debone, remove silver skin and fat and have pure meat made into summer sausage, snack sticks, etc...time consuming preparing the meat but it makes a better product and you avoid all the extra charges.

Ski

Local processor is 3.75/lb. for summer sausage...garlic, jalapeño and cheddar...and it's vacuum sealed...not cheap but good stuff...we skin, quarter, debone, remove silver skin and fat and have pure meat made into summer sausage, snack sticks, etc...time consuming preparing the meat but it makes a better product and you avoid all the extra charges.

That really isn't a bad price. I could get my cost down a little bit by buying supplies in bulk but I don't want an entire cabinet dedicated to sausage supplies. Probably should though because we make an average of 150lbs/yr.

Latest posts