Outrageous processing fee!!

Jmoore

My neighbor took a buck to Shackle Island processor, here in Hendersonville, that weighed 120.
They charged him $150 for processing!
That is outrageous.
Flowers Farms charges $95 per deer, regardless of size.
Took in 150# buck and 70# doe, same price
That's why I bought my own grinder and started doing it myself. Paid for itself in no time!

CliffordN

Just paid $200 per deer & $90 caping fee in NE. Basic steaks, backstrap & burger, they don't tenderize either. Had 3 of them done. Could have done ourselves but with ranch 50 miles from the Airbnb we were staying in, it was more convenient to have them do & freeze.
$90 to cape a head is outrageous....

CliffordN

I drop my deer off and in return I get cuts that are well trimmed, vacuum packed, and labeled. Ground is packed in 3" tubes like if you bought ground meat at the grocery store. Pretty darn fair deal, IMO. Even though I process most of my own, I still drop a few off to the processor.
So basically cut up and packed, but without any sausage...

fairchaser

My neighbor took a buck to Shackle Island processor, here in Hendersonville, that weighed 120.
That is outrageous.
That works out to $3/pound. Hamburger is $5.00/ pound but you don't have to drag it out of the woods. I won't shoot a doe unless you make me and then I usually donate it. Just not worth it anymore for the venison! I hate it but I've turned into a horn hunter. CWD made me do it!

MUP

Have you seen any of their work? That's who I plan to use if I kill anything this year.
I have not personally, but the friend who told me that they were under new ownership and now taking deer to process said that he has heard that they are clean and do good work. Just hearsay I know, but I'm taking a chance on them being good, and that they are the closest around for this area. 😁

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
It's crazy how much this varies geographically. I've mostly hunted where it's less than $100, or there simply are no processors whatsoever.

Chiflyguy

I did my own.
Neighbor taught me last year, went solo this time.
Had a kitchen aide,$25.00 for grinder attachment.
Bought a cheap vacuum sealer last year on Amazon, $25.00
Might sound weird but I consider processing my own is the final step in the hunting process.
I like doin it.
Just crank some Led Zeppelin, pop open a PBR tall boy and get to work.

JW01

That is outrageous.
Has anyone priced vaccuum seal bags lately plus the cost of labor is more.

DaveTN

I did my own.
Neighbor taught me last year, went solo this time.
Had a kitchen aide,$25.00 for grinder attachment.
Bought a cheap vacuum sealer last year on Amazon, $25.00
Might sound weird but I consider processing my own is the final step in the hunting process.
I like doin it.
Just crank some Led Zeppelin, pop open a PBR tall boy and get to work.
That sounds like fun! :cool:

Other than the PBR stuff. I quit drinking that swill when I was old enough to have a job. 🤣 Is that required?

Latest posts