Outrageous processing fee!!

Weegee

You guys gonna cost me some money!!!
I love it when people act like deer meat is free if you process it yourself. Never mind the hundreds spent on gas, thousands on gear, guns/bows/ammo, lease/food plots if you have those, licenses, not to mention the time investment. Probably like $20-$50 per pound. But I wouldn't have it any other way…

DoubleRidge

I love it when people act like deer meat is free if you process it yourself. Never mind the hundreds spent on gas, thousands on gear, guns/bows/ammo, lease/food plots if you have those, licenses, not to mention the time investment. Probably like $20-$50 per pound. But I wouldn't have it any other way…
Correct....I should have said....you guys are going to cost me some MORE money!! :)

But the return on investment is more than freezer meat....and I wouldnt have it any other way either.

jlanecr500

I tend to give away some to family and friends, especially summersausage and jerky. Any deer I kill after my mid/late Dec processing day is stored in the freezer until I get back from the Eglin AFB primitive weapons hunt in early Feb. All of those deer are jerky and any lean trimmings are burger. We've made as much as 100 pounds of jerky. It never lasts very long. Everyone who gets a taste wants some.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
My wife was an accountant. I could not get a quicker laugh than when I would mention that the deer was free meat.

Ski

I need to...this stuff is fantastic....I did snack sticks last time and they were good...but this summer sausage along with some sharp cheddar cheese and saltine crackers makes a meal!... delicious!

Summer sausage might just be my favorite way to eat deer meat. We have a stick in the fridge pretty much perpetually. I slice it up and put it on Flip Sides crackers with some New York extra sharp white cheddar. Never get tired of it.

Another way to eat might sound a bit weird but well worth trying. The Amish stores sell spicy peach jelly. I smear it on sliced sausage and crackers. It's crazy good.

jlanecr500

Summer sausage might just be my favorite way to eat deer meat. We have a stick in the fridge pretty much perpetually. I slice it up and put it on Flip Sides crackers with some New York extra sharp white cheddar. Never get tired of it.

Another way to eat might sound a bit weird but well worth trying. The Amish stores sell spicy peach jelly. I smear it on sliced sausage and crackers. It's crazy good.
You should try frying it for breakfast. Something about frying it that makes those seasonings pop.

Swampster

Most of those items do not exist or are minimal for me.

DoubleRidge

You should try frying it for breakfast. Something about frying it that makes those seasonings pop.
Followed your recommendation yesterday and fried 3 pieces of summer sausage, two eggs over medium with homemade biscuits and it was fantastic...didnt over fry it...just heated it good and browned it around the edges...I will be doing that again...great flavor!

DoubleRidge

Another way to eat might sound a bit weird but well worth trying. The Amish stores sell spicy peach jelly. I smear it on sliced sausage and crackers. It's crazy gogood.
Not weird at all...many years ago a coworker told me to try Captain Rodney's Pepper Jelly with sliced salami and a cracker...delicious!...thanks for the reminder!...I need to get a jar and try it with the summer sausage...sweet and spicy with the smoked flavor...really good!

Last edited:

DeerCamp

Also, as far as processing goes. I'll never understand how a hunter is so lazy they can't even field dress their own deer. The place I go to charges $30 to field dress, $60 if it's dropped off after hours. I would charge $100 to field dress just to take the lazy people's money.
I used to hunt before work and back then I had to go into the office. My vehicle was a Ford escape.

If I killed a deer there was just no time to field dress and get cleaned up plus the extra blood inside the vehicle.

It was a $20 fee back then and often well worth it.

mike243

My pellet smoker runs to hot to properly do sausages, most recipes call for 110-up to 170 in 10-20 degree steps to keep from causing fat from melting out. My Masterbuilt electric smoker gets the nod for that job.

Ski

My pellet smoker runs to hot to properly do sausages, most recipes call for 110-up to 170 in 10-20 degree steps to keep from causing fat from melting out. My Masterbuilt electric smoker gets the nod for that job.

I start mine on the smoke setting which is 165-175* and step it up to 225 after a couple hrs. I don't get any issues with fat melting out.

Speedwell-Hunter

A butcher does it a whole lot faster than you or I do. Do you think they take a week to do a cow.
Take fast times 3

Still an for 1 deer

Plus they deserve $ for their skill

I am a plumber

People get livid at prices; why? They pay me for what I know; i wont work for less than $35 an hour num NUT!!!!!

Processors we pay for their skill

All the cheapskates on here can pound sand!!!!

wrightk2

I've started doing my own the last 2 years. I'm not paying $80 for a doe and $100 for a buck. That was last year's price. Not sure what they are charging this year.

killingtime 41

I do my own sometimes. But will also drop off at the butcher. Next year when one down the road from my house starts taking deer they will be getting my business. That's if I have the extra funds to do so.

Latest posts