New Antelope Rilfe Help

PillsburyDoughboy

My buddy has the hells canyon speed in 7/08. Nice rifle!!
Don't get me wrong 7/08 is a great round. But its a old school round completely overshadowed by today's crop of 6mm cartridges.

It's like 30 years ago being a 30 06 guy and everyone trying to sell you on a 270 and you say why . I have a perfectly good long action rifle:)

Tenntrapper

Don't get me wrong 7/08 is a great round. But its a old school round completely overshadowed by today's crop of 6mm cartridges.

It's like 30 years ago being a 30 06 guy and everyone trying to sell you on a 270 and you say why . I have a perfectly good long action rifle:)
6mm? How did we get to 6mm? 😂
Even though I've killed several deer with a 243, and will be using one this year...how many people think the 6mm is borderline for deer? A bunch!! The internet is full of opinions about it only really being a varmint round.
Not sure I understand what you are saying about the 270/30-06. But...put me in the woods with something that bites back, and I'll take the 30-06 before ANY 6mm!! 😂

Tenntrapper

Ooh ooh my turn. 6.5 PRC, 7-08, 6.5 CM. We can salivate over long range performance, but as OP said, 400yards max. When you cut it off there, you have the following (all with Hornady precision hunter eld-x for uniformity. 100y zero and 20mph crosswind):
6.5 PRC: 2477 FPS, 1949 ft-lbs, 23.1" drop, 13.4" drift
6.5 CM: 2244 FPS, 1598 ft-lbs, 28.9" drop, 15.3" drift
7-08: 2268 FPS, 1713 ft-lbs, 27.6" drop, 16.2" drift
They all meet velocity minimums and energy "minimums". The PRC is the straightest shooting. Let me add the 25-06 (would be my choice if I were to buy an antelope specific rifle).
25-06: 2478 FPS, 1500 ft-lbs, 21.3" drop, 17.1" drift
Bottom line, they all do the job. 6.5 cm and 25-05 recoil the least. 6.5 prc the most (although still not hard). The biggest drawback to me on the prc is barrel life. 900-1200 rounds is what's reported for barrel life. If you're going to shoot a lot in preparation, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have to rebarrel every 2-3 years. All the other choices beat the PRC by thousands of rounds in barrel life.

I would take 25-06 and then 6.5 cm for antelope within 400y. Just my $.02

Now all that being said - I only own one of these, and it's the 6.5 PRC lol. I absolutely love it, and will be taking it for antelope this fall. I bought it as more of a western deer gun, and planned to buy a 25-06 this spring to use for antelope this fall, but I don't feel like spending that money right now so the PRC is coming with me. I certainly will be buying a 25-06 in the near future though.
Using your numbers (I assume @400 yards) and everything using the eld-x.

The Taylor knockout factor...
PRC....13.35
CM....12.10
7/08...13.80
25-06...10.00

Someone (maybe @DaveTN ) post up some 308 win velocities with the eld-x @400 yards, and we can do a real comparison.

Last edited:

DaveTN

Using your numbers (I assume @400 yards) and everything using the eld-x.

The Taylor knockout factor...
PRC....13.35
CM....12.10
7/08...13.80
25-06...10.00

Someone (maybe @DaveTN ) post up some 308 win velocities with the eld-x @400 yards, and we can do a real comparison.
308 Win 178 gr. ELD-X Velocity @ 400 yards 2004 fps, 1587 ft/lb, Tajectory -25.2", Taylor KO 15

308 Win Remington 150-grain Core-Lokt Velocity @ 400 yards 1774 fps, 1048 ft/lb., Trajectory -26.2, Taylor KO 11

Tenntrapper

308 Win 178 gr. ELD-X Velocity @ 400 yards 2004 fps, 1587 ft/lb, Tajectory -25.2", Taylor KO 15

308 Win Remington 150-grain Core-Lokt Velocity @ 400 yards 1774 fps, 1048 ft/lb., Trajectory -26.2, Taylor KO 11
Looky there... another one that is better suited for "less than 400 yards". And if you can't find 308 win ammo, you ain't looking. 😂

PillsburyDoughboy

6mm? How did we get to 6mm? 😂
Even though I've killed several deer with a 243, and will be using one this year...how many people think the 6mm is borderline for deer? A bunch!! The internet is full of opinions about it only really being a varmint round.
Not sure I understand what you are saying about the 270/30-06. But...put me in the woods with something that bites back, and I'll take the 30-06 before ANY 6mm!! 😂
How did we get to 6MM ?? The Op specifically asked about two different 6MM offerings from the get go.

Secondly most all of the 6MM family is more than capable of handling a antelope which this thread is about. Antelope are generally in size smaller than your average white tail and not all that hard to kill. Just need a proper bullet and good shot placement and any 6MM offering would be up to the task at 400 yard ranges. Past that you are really fighting the wind and other variables that demand more but that is a whole other subject.

Tenntrapper

How did we get to 6MM ?? The Op specifically asked about two different 6MM offerings from the get go.

Secondly most all of the 6MM family is more than capable of handling a antelope which this thread is about. Antelope are generally in size smaller than your average white tail and not all that hard to kill. Just need a proper bullet and good shot placement and any 6MM offering would be up to the task at 400 yard ranges. Past that you are really fighting the wind and other variables that demand more but that is a whole other subject.
Nope!! OP is asking about 6.5CM, 6.5PRC, and 7/08. Neither of those are 6mm.

PillsburyDoughboy

Nope!! OP is asking about 6.5CM, 6.5PRC, and 7/08. Neither of those are 6mm.
Fair enough. One is 6mm and another is 6.5mm. Honestly not enough to turn around with in comparison in antelope country to be concerned about us my point other that box store available ammo. Try finding 7mm 08 6mm CM or even 257 Robert's on the shelf and it's gonna be a hard find. All great antelope rounds. All hard to find on the shelf at box stores I bet. Can't tell u the last time I saw 257 Robert's on the shelf. Probably more Antelope taken by that round in the west by any other round prior to 2000

ewc

What's the value of a an arrow at 150 feet per second (recurve speed)?

Probably zero. Let's not hunt with that then,,,,,,😂

PillsburyDoughboy

Someone is taking this mighty personal... 😂
Seems ..

The Op asked
The main criteria is a tang-safety and lightweight. I would keep using my 270 but it is way too heavy.

On to my question. Between the 6.5cm , 6.5PRC, and 7mm-08 , which would you choose and why?

Im not sure he was expecting a launch of Ballistic information.

HottyToddy

Seems ..

The Op asked
The main criteria is a tang-safety and lightweight. I would keep using my 270 but it is way too heavy.

On to my question. Between the 6.5cm , 6.5PRC, and 7mm-08 , which would you choose and why?

Lol, touché.
X bolt speed or stainless stalker (same weight, brake or no brake and aesthetic considerations) in 6.5 creed.
Why: effective and flat out to 400. Plenty of factory loading available, and plenty of 6.5 bullet options if you reload. Barrel life is long, and recoil is minimal.

gtk

Staff member
Seems ..

The Op asked
Agreed. I didn't ask for critique of my shooting/hunting skills. Those comments were ignored, as they know nothing about me or my shooting skills (or lack of), or how often I shoot, or how far I shoot, and know nothing of the area I am hunting. But, I will say this. I have been antelope hunting 1x, and until I have a few under my belt, I will continue to use a rifle and try to make as successful as possible, be it a shot at 10 yards or 400 yards.

I dont know many people who wouldn't want a new rifle if the opportunity arose. I want/need a new rifle just to take antelope hunting and perhaps used in other situations as the need/urge arises.

No issues there. I find that information interesting, and can/could factor in the decision :)

On those rifles with a muzzle brake. Can the brake be taken off and used w/out it? What is the purpose of a muzzle brake on a low recoil rifle ,besides destroying your hearing?

Tenntrapper

Agreed. I didn't ask for critique of my shooting/hunting skills. Those comments were ignored, as they know nothing about me or my shooting skills (or lack of), or how often I shoot, or how far I shoot, and know nothing of the area I am hunting. But, I will say this. I have been antelope hunting 1x, and until I have a few under my belt, I will continue to use a rifle and try to make as successful as possible, be it a shot at 10 yards or 400 yards.

I dont know many people who wouldn't want a new rifle if the opportunity arose. I want/need a new rifle just to take antelope hunting and perhaps used in other situations as the need/urge arises.

No issues there. I find that information interesting, and can/could factor in the decision :)

On those rifles with a muzzle brake. Can the brake be taken off and used w/out it? What is the purpose of a muzzle brake on a low recoil rifle ,besides destroying your hearing?
I'm not sure on the rifles you named, but I'm thinking most rifles that come with a removable brake, also come with a plane "nut", to protect the threads when not in use.
I believe my buddy's hells canyon speed has a removable brake.

HottyToddy

on my hells canyon it comes with the radial brake as well as a thread protector (cerakoted to match) if you choose to go without brake. With protection, the noise isn't a problem (for me) so I choose to shoot with it on and reduce recoil to practically 0. I would however like to eventually switch the stock radial to a directional to eliminate the dust cloud caused by the radial

Latest posts