New Rifle

Daniel n

A while back I was looking at a savage 110 tactical in the sub $800 range. After posting on here about it and asking for opinions I ended up going a different way. I had narrowed it down to Tikka or Bergara. I finally settled on Bergara after driving myself crazy. I had to save a little longer but so far I am very pleased with my purchase. Hoping to perform the barrel break in and put some rounds down range next weekend. Any suggestions on somewhere to start with factory ammo?

Bergara B14 Wilderness HMR .308
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44
Caldwell Bipod
IMG_6707.jpeg

Last edited:

MusicCityCajun

A while back I was looking at a savage 110 tactical in the sub $800 range. After posting on here about it and asking for opinions I ended up going a different way. I had narrowed it down to Tikka or Bergara. I finally settled on Bergara after driving myself crazy. I had to save a little longer but so far I am very pleased with my purchase. Hoping to perform the barrel break in and put some rounds down range next weekend. Any suggestions on somewhere to start with factory ammo?

Bergara B14 Wilderness HMR .308
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44
Caldwell Bipod
View attachment 212285
I have the HMR in .308 too. So far it has not been picky on ammo, and actually shot some of the cheaper stuff best. It liked 150 gr Norma (top right, bottom left). I've shot some 168 grain Federal Fusion MatchKing and it's done well too (center).
The top left and bottom right in the photos were CoreLokts. Still not bad but the least tight groups.
And disclaimer…I'm not that great of a shot. Working on it though.

Attachments

• IMG_3034.jpeg
    IMG_3034.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 37

TNRifleman

The Bergaras in .308 in general tend to like a little heavier bullet. 165-168 grain. I have a TImber in 308 and it really likes Hornady Black 168 and Federal Loaded SMK in 168. It didn't care for the SMK's in 175 but absolutely loved Berger Hybrids in 168. I haven't shot anything under 165 out of it yet.

Great looking setup by the way.

parch

I have the regular HMR in 308 and it likes 168s I shot the berger hybrid hunters and cut holes. My carbon 308 was really picky it shots the 150gr deer season xps really good.

TNRifleman

I have the regular HMR in 308 and it likes 168s I shot the berger hybrid hunters and cut holes. My carbon 308 was really picky it shots the 150gr deer season xps really good.
Of all of the Bergaras, it seems like the 308s can be the pickiest for some reason. But, when you find the right load, it'll shoot. Sometimes you get lucky and it shoots the lesser expensive ammo the best. I will say that of all factory ammo I've shot in the last year or so, Norma is continuously the most consistent.

fairchaser

@fairchaser should have an idea as well. ;)
I don't have any experience with hunting bullets for .308, but I like some of the suggestions above. I personally wouldn't go with the lighter bullets like 140's in 30 caliber. Look at the 160+ grain bullets in the Sierra game kings too. The heavier bullets will perform better at longer distances and have better knockdown. If I bought another deer rifle it would be a .308 for sure. Good luck!

Daniel n

The Bergaras in .308 in general tend to like a little heavier bullet. 165-168 grain. I have a TImber in 308 and it really likes Hornady Black 168 and Federal Loaded SMK in 168. It didn't care for the SMK's in 175 but absolutely loved Berger Hybrids in 168. I haven't shot anything under 165 out of it yet.

Great looking setup by the way.

Thank you and I'm going to pick up a few different options to try.

parch

Get on grab a gun and get the federals loaded with the 168 Berger hybrid hunters they are $32.xx can't beat them my hmr cuts holes with them

Latest posts