New Antelope Rilfe Help

HottyToddy

I haven't tested it yet, but

Winchester Large Rifle Primers
H1000 (4 diff loads from 56.5 thru 58gr)
Hornady ELX 143 grain.

I've been reading and it seem when you are shooting copper like Barnes or Hammers, you see some improvement when switching to Magnum primers.
Curious to see what your rifle reads off that. Sounds very similar to my initial development with the same rifle (except I used 140gr Nosler Custom Comps). Had to get up to 59.0gr to hit 3k fps. Stopped there cause I was satisfied but never found pressure. Also seated way longer than SAAMI. Don't remember COAL exactly off the top of my head, but its way out there to achieve .035 jump. Plenty of room in the mag on those rifles tho, I can still mag feed whatever my super over length dimension is.

HottyToddy

Interesting, as my max length for the magazine is 2.998 which is just a hair over SAAMI.
My bad! My brain had 2.800" as max thinking of my .308 - you're right, i'm not that far over SAAMI. I'll have to check when I'm home, but I think I'm around 3.005" COAL with a little room to spare in the magazine

gtk

Staff member
I got to actually shoot some this weekend. Looks like 57gr is the ticket. Groups started coming back together at 58.5 but I was getting serious pressure signs

Attachments

• IMG_0613.jpeg
    IMG_0613.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0614.jpeg
    IMG_0614.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0615.jpeg
    IMG_0615.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0616.jpeg
    IMG_0616.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 30

megalomaniac

View attachment 195273
Exact rifle I used last month for this NM antelope. Well, the hell's canyon speed, but it's the same rifle as the speed. Also 6.5 PRC. H1000 and a 140gr accubond. Moved about 10' after being hit.
Dude, that goat will go mid to upper 70s. While nowhere near a giant for NM, it may be 20 years before you kill one bigger if you don't live out west. That one deserves a shoulder mount if you don't have one mounted already. Antelope make beautiful shoulder mounts that don't take up much space

HottyToddy

Dude, that goat will go mid to upper 70s. While nowhere near a giant for NM, it may be 20 years before you kill one bigger if you don't live out west. That one deserves a shoulder mount if you don't have one mounted already. Antelope make beautiful shoulder mounts that don't take up much space
Don't live out west, but it's family that owns the 10k acres I hunted and private land tags are OTC… I'll be back 😉

I heavily considered a shoulder mount, but the fiancée doesn't like dead things on walls… dead things on bookshelves? We'll see lol

Latest posts