Sons flinching… Help!

Tenntrapper

You said the rifle was an Axis. Does it have the accu-trigger? If not, those can be pretty darn heavy...my daughter has one. Her's is awful. Agreed on the time with a .22.
Squirrel hunting is fun, and builds woodsman ship. Just my opinion, but I would forego the centerfire for a while...take him squirrel hunting. December is what I call the squirrel rut...they are really active then. Could be a lot of fun.

Openlake

Lots of good advice. Make sure the gun fits him with length of pull while bundled up. Can't allow stretching to squint through a scope. Dry fire (unloaded) at home in between range sessions with a .22. Stress deep breath, release half, and gently squeeze the trigger. The shot should almost be a surprise. Strive to see the bullet strike the target. You do the same with him and you both will have fun.

gtk

Staff member
Possible help/solutions:

dry fire practice.

Check trigger pull. If his rifle is the savage axis, there is a simple mod that can be done to the trigger to reduce pull.

Practice. Take him to shoot. You load the gun for him and hand him the gun. Start by loading with empty hull and watch him. Try it again.. Slip a live round in every few shots..

Bgoodman30

You said the rifle was an Axis. Does it have the accu-trigger? If not, those can be pretty darn heavy...my daughter has one. Her's is awful. Agreed on the time with a .22.
Squirrel hunting is fun, and builds woodsman ship. Just my opinion, but I would forego the centerfire for a while...take him squirrel hunting. December is what I call the squirrel rut...they are really active then. Could be a lot of fun.

I am not sure about the trigger?

Tenntrapper

I am not sure about the trigger?
Does it have a silver blade looking thing in the middle of it? If so, it's an accu-trigger. If looks like any other trigger...it's not.

IMG_20231122_155947.jpg

Tiny

Lots of good advice here..
I have battled a Flinch for years due to getting hit under my glasses by a piece of cap from a ML. My problem is more evident from a lack of shooting time.
One thing I have learned take a 22 to range.Shoot it first or until got things back in line. Then move to the centerfire. Dry fire it a few times..Then shoot for group.
If blink when squessing trigger one is flinching.
Good Luck n Hang in there .

Joe2Kool

Get a scope with a lot of eye relief. Nothing induces flinching more than a smack across the forehead. I shoot a Simmons fixed 4x32 shotgun scope on my ML and turkey gun for that reason.

Then use 2x hearing protection at the range with a 22 or 22WM. 2x meaning earplugs and earmuffs.

And the dry fire practice.

Latest posts