New Antelope Rilfe Help

bulld

Just my two cents worth, my group has been on about 10 prairie goat adventures over the years with standard .270, .243, 708, 308 rifles being used. Antelope aren't particularly tough to put down but I have seen multiple shots required only from the 243. Shots ranged from 80-435 yds. There are many variables but the one consistency was always a WIND!! many times steady at 20+ mph which really puts a hurt on the .243. My sweet spot for antelope would be the 7mm-08 for what it's worth. Good luck 👍🏽

david k.

Any medium caliber rifle on the market will kill an antelope…they are light skinned with nothing tough about them.

I'm "old school" so of the ones you listed I'd personally go with the 7-08 only because of the availability of ammo if I happen to run out or forgot to pack it…and because of the wide range of bullets in 7mm that are available for reloaders.

Between my brother, hunting buddies, and I we killed a pile of antelope back in the day…Ranges were probably out
to past 350 yards (pre-rangefinder days….) and we killed them all with these calibers. 243, 270, 280, 30-06 7 mag and a 300WM (most of them are actually overkill but some years we were on a combo mule deer / antelope hunt).

This pic is from the early 90's when I wasn't so old and fat…we had FREE access to an 86,000 acre ranch in SE Wyoming and the 4 of us all had antelope buck and doe tags that year. We filled all our tags….those were "the good ole days!"

Attachments

• IMG_0514.jpeg
    IMG_0514.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 73

TNRifleman

I picked up a Bergara B14 Crest a few weeks ago and finally got to stretch it to 300 yards today. I'll take 1/2 MOA groups at 200 and 300 all day. This would be a good one to look at if you're still considering a PRC.
IMG_1239.jpeg
IMG_1248.jpeg
IMG_1250.jpeg

GreeneGriz

Is the 6.5 PRC seek one approved? Will it take game quietly next to the swing set?🤣
Believe they used a rifle hunting public land out west a couple days ago and killed a pretty nice buck. Since I'm not a asshat prick like you, I watch them for the enjoyment and entertainment and not to belittle them. Now , could you kindly quit being an internet creep and quit harassing my posts?

timberjack86

Believe they used a rifle hunting public land out west a couple days ago and killed a pretty nice buck. Since I'm not a asshat prick like you, I watch them for the enjoyment and entertainment and not to belittle them. Now , could you kindly quit being an internet creep and quit harassing my posts?
I'm just messing with you bud, I thought you'd lose your yugo like you've done on some other members over these guys. Have a good weekend!

Rakkin6

I think the 25-06 is an underappreciated round for animals of this size. Flat shooting round. I have one and it flat out shoots and has plenty of power for antelope. Use a 120 ground round and you are good to go. I know all the newer rounds are the hotness but I would take my 25-06.

gtk

Staff member
I picked up a Bergara B14 Crest a few weeks ago and finally got to stretch it to 300 yards today. I'll take 1/2 MOA groups at 200 and 300 all day. This would be a good one to look at if you're still considering a PRC.
good looking rifles, but I am a lefty that prefers right handed bolt actions.. so i need the tang safety . Already ordered the Browning Long Range xbolt :)

SSlater

Just outside of Cody, just past the airport and Kanye's place, they're like rats and you should be able to get pretty close. Less than 200 yards close.

rodeojoe

It has been a few years since this thread started, hope you picked one up by now.
I have seen people sight their rifle in here at home and say they are ready to go.
After a few misses they remember they forgot to return their scopes back to zero from shooting long distances here at home. 😞

gtk

Staff member
Yes, i picked up a Browining Xbolt Speed in 6.5 PRC about 2 months ago. I love the gun, its the lightest gun I own., Working up some loads now :)

Hope to take a mule deer with it in a couple weeks (after I kill my elk of course)

HottyToddy

Yes, i picked up a Browining Xbolt Speed in 6.5 PRC about 2 months ago. I love the gun, its the lightest gun I own., Working up some loads now :)

Hope to take a mule deer with it in a couple weeks (after I kill my elk of course)
What components are you using? Just out of curiosity. I've been using WLR primers, but recently got some CCI 250's I haven't yet tested. Also was using accubonds, but might switch to a TTSX/LRX or a partition.

gtk

Staff member
I haven't tested it yet, but

Winchester Large Rifle Primers
H1000 (4 diff loads from 56.5 thru 58gr)
Hornady ELX 143 grain.

I've been reading and it seem when you are shooting copper like Barnes or Hammers, you see some improvement when switching to Magnum primers.

Latest posts