New Antelope Rilfe Help

gtk

Staff member
After my pitiful shooting last year on my speed-goat hunt, I plan on having a new rifle to take antelope hunting this fall (hopefully). It will most likely be a browing abolt since i'm a lefty shoothing right handed rifles.. The main criteria is a tang-safety and lightweight. I would keep using my 270 but it is way too heavy.

On to my question. Between the 6.5cm , 6.5PRC, and 7mm-08 , which would you choose and why? I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the 6.5 when I started really researching more, and the 6.5PRC was coming out on top. Then I added the 7mm-08 from a suggestion, and ballisticlly the 7mm08 comes out with a slight edge. Besides the ballistics, the 7mm-08 is a little cheaper cost wise too..

thoughts?

MUP

Handloads or factory ammo? If handloading I'd probably go with the prc, factory ammo likely would choose the 6.5 CM. But for an antelope smacker I'd be taking my 6.5 CM with handloads, mostly bc I don't own a prc 😁

celebs GIF

gtk

Staff member
You're spot on with your 7mm-08 thinking. 6.5PRC would be my second choice of the three you mentioned, great round. The CM would do the job too, but the manbun thing comes into play and you don't wanna have to lug that hair booger around 😂

I'm ok w/the manbun stuff.. My hair is getting so thin on top a man-bun may help keep the top of my head from getting sunburned. Prob have to let it grow out long on the sides and pull back around and ball up on top.. :)

Handloads or factory ammo? If handloading I'd probably go with the prc, factory ammo likely would choose the 6.5 CM. But for an antelope smacker I'd be taking my 6.5 CM with handloads, mostly bc I don't own a prc 😁

Handloading. But "why" the prc? What is the reasoning ?

backyardtndeer

Hands down the 6.5PRC. Do some ballistic comparisons with other cartridges. It Carrie's more energy past 600 yards than a 280 Ackley or 30-06 with a fair amount less recoil.
Have to agree with this. All the ballistics tables I have seen the prc is faster, delivering more energy and, will have less drop with same weight bullets.
Handloading. But "why" the prc? What is the reasoning ?
Great offering in available bullets, the higher case capacity for the prc allows for heavier charges.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
What ranges will you be hunting at? They're all good cartridges. Inside of 500yd they're all going to be good enough, but the PRC will shoot flattest with the least wind drift. An antelope doesn't require much to kill.

Inside of 500yd the 270Win and 6.5PRC are almost the same. Inside of 500yd the difference between a 7-08 and 270 is negligible. The 6.5CM will have the least recoil, but will also have the most drop.

6.5 PRC ammo is not as available as 6.5CM, and is more expensive. 7-08 can be the same as PRC.

gtk

Staff member
What ranges will you be hunting at? They're all good cartridges. Inside of 500yd they're all going to be good enough, but the PRC will shoot flattest with the least wind drift. An antelope doesn't require much to kill.

Inside of 500yd the 270Win and 6.5PRC are almost the same. Inside of 500yd the difference between a 7-08 and 270 is negligible. The 6.5CM will have the least recoil, but will also have the most drop.

6.5 PRC ammo is not as available as 6.5CM, and is more expensive. 7-08 can be the same as PRC.
Range depends on how good the new rifle shoots and how comfortable I am with it :) Most likely 400yd would be my max. Those antelope are SMALL out past 300 !

Last year I ended up having to keep it 350 and below because I was shooting like crap. I had practiced plenty at 300 but its a diff story in the field while hunting.

TNRifleman

Range depends on how good the new rifle shoots and how comfortable I am with it :) Most likely 400yd would be my max. Those antelope are SMALL out past 300 !

Last year I ended up having to keep it 350 and below because I was shooting like crap. I had practiced plenty at 300 but its a diff story in the field while hunting.
It sure is. It's really hard to replicate adrenaline on the range. And yes, those antelope do get small past 3-400 yards

1984dog

I think some range time would be your friend. I'm not sure what kind of glass or gun you shoot, but you have to hit it before you can kill it. If I had to chose a gun for just antelope hunting, it would be something like a 243, 6mm, 260, 6.5 cm, and maybe the 7mm-08 as antelope are not big animals. A 270, 308, 30-06, 7 Mag, 6.5 PRC and others will kill them grave yard dead as well. Regardless of what you shoot, make sure you have it sighted in good and know your limits (distance wise). Most of your shots will likely be <250 yards so make sure you can shoot like a 3 - 4" group at 250 and you should do fine.

If you are on a budget, look at the CVA Scout V2. It is a single shot rifle, stainless steel gun with a Bergara barrel that is accurate. A Bog Pod Death Grip may also be your friend.

gtk

Staff member
I think some range time would be your friend. I'm not sure what kind of glass or gun you shoot, but you have to hit it before you can kill it. If I had to chose a gun for just antelope hunting, it would be something like a 243, 6mm, 260, 6.5 cm, and maybe the 7mm-08 as antelope are not big animals. A 270, 308, 30-06, 7 Mag, 6.5 PRC and others will kill them grave yard dead as well. Regardless of what you shoot, make sure you have it sighted in good and know your limits (distance wise). Most of your shots will likely be <250 yards so make sure you can shoot like a 3 - 4" group at 250 and you should do fine.
Just looking for a lightweight flat shooting accurate gun, with ammo availability (both factory and reloading components) , and could be used for other game if wanted (deer, possibly elk). The research i've done is why I narrowed it down to the 3 I listed. The scope I go with will prob cost as much as the gun. Might pull my viper off my backup elk gun, not sure yet.

All my shots last year were 300-400 yards. Could have taken multiple shots 500+ .

Latest posts