New Antelope Rilfe Help

Tenntrapper

@gtk , I hope none of my comments lead you to believe that I have ANYTHING against the 6.5s, or the CM specifically. Nothing can be farther from the truth. I am a huge 6.5 fan...have been since before they became "cool". The thing with them is...they don't really come into their own till out past 500 yards or so. Had your distance between 6-700 yards... definitely a 6.5. For your stated purpose, I just think the 7/08 would be a more versatile choice... without giving up much of anything, and gaining in some areas. You didn't say if you reload or will be using factory ammo. If the latter, the CM will give you more options. If you reload...it's a wash.
Again, sorry for any confusion.

gtk

Staff member
@gtk , I hope none of my comments lead you to believe that I have ANYTHING against the 6.5s, or the CM specifically.
heck no, not at all. :) I appreciate the input. I don't get into the creedmore hate. Its a good round, and as I stated earlier, I dont beleive there is such thing as "too many guns".

While at this place we hunt antelope at I could easily shoot as far as I can see, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable out past 400-450. My furthest shot i've made on game was 525, but that was on a big critter (elk).

Lots of "ifs/ands/butts)" but I dont think I can go wrong with any of the 3 choices (as shown in all these comments/advice).

Pro-7mm/08: Affordability and also Brass. My brother hunts elk with his 7mm-08 because he has eye problems (detached retina) and doctors advise him to refrain from any recoil if at all possible. With his 7mm-08, I could get all the brass I need. If I need more brass, I could just screw with his scope before season, and make him have to sight it in again (what are brothers for, right?)

Pro-6mmPRC: flat shooting, backup elk gun, and just the fact not a lot of people have them :)

Pro-6mmCM: brass/ammo availability, flat shooting, plenty of models to choose from.

PillsburyDoughboy

Has anyone in this thread actually hunted Antelope? One of the biggest factors in a rifle for most hunters is going to be lightweight and good optics. Chances are you are going to be doing more spotting and stalking than you are going to be shooting. A successful hunt is probably going to depend on alot of things. Having a rifle with good quality glass with some sort of drop or dial system is probably going to be better than using some sort of kentucky windage system or using drop charts. A good Trigger , some range time getting to know your rifle off the bench , a laser range finder, getting in shape so you are prepared to walk and chase after them when ready will go a long way to a successful hunt. Chambering should really be a much lower priority as anything. .243 and up should be more than adequate for the task matched with the proper bullet selection.

ThorThor

Having killed 5 pronghorn in the last 7 years I can say they are easy to kill. It is really just a reason to buy another gun. First one I killed was with a heavy barrel 308 in az in 2016 but after that experience, windy and missed at 550 yards, and no there was no getting closer… I bought a custom 7mm ultra mag with a 8 twist barrel and I shoot 195 bergers at 3100, it shoots half moa. Anything inside 1000 yards is in real trouble depending on wind. Weight is really not a big issue in pronghorn country your not climbing mountains and a little weight makes long shots much easier.
You want high Bc bullets and speed to deal with wind, but that is only an issue after 250 ish yards. Nothing wrong with 6.5 creed and ammo is almost half the cost of prc. The new 7mm prc would make a great everything gun and will always be available due to it being a hornady round. Those heavy 7mm bullets have the best BC available.

Redfox

I haven't finished reading the 5 pages of suggestions yet, but figured I would vote.
If I had to pick from those calibers I would take the PRC. The 7/08 & CM would do the job but don't have anything special to add over your 270.

I antelope hunt every year and really want to build a dedicated gun myself. If I ever do it'll likely be a 257 weatherby, 6.5-300, or something of the like….Or maybe just a really slick 25-06 that's what the locals seem to like.

PillsburyDoughboy

I haven't finished reading the 5 pages of suggestions yet, but figured I would vote.
If I had to pick from those calibers I would take the PRC. The 7/08 & CM would do the job but don't have anything special to add over your 270.

I antelope hunt every year and really want to build a dedicated gun myself. If I ever do it'll likely be a 257 weatherby, 6.5-300, or something of the like….Or maybe just a really slick 25-06 that's what the locals seem to like.
I almost built a 25-06 Ackley Improved back in my Wildcat days but instead went with the 25 Souper because at the time was shooting more .308 than I was 30-06. Was going for more shorter action stiffer actions and more accurate builds. Not that it can't be done on a long action. But the shorter the better usually.

Tenntrapper

That 6.5-284 savage in the classifieds could make an antelope gun
It is I that has that rifle for sale, and I feel I would be a hypocrite if I don't say this... I still stand by the 7/08 for the ranges he's talking about. It's just a more versatile round. The above mentioned rifle would be great if his intended ranges were longer...and he reloads. Factory ammo is available, but it's scarce with few choices. If going with a 6.5, the CM would make more sense from the ammo availability and short action standpoint. Performance wise, the x284 is a smidge faster with same bullet...maybe 100fps. About the difference in a 308/30-06 comparison. I wouldn't give up the short action/ammo availability for it. And only if I was shooting over 5-600 yards would I choose the CM over the 7/08.

muddyboots

I had same dilemma except I was shooting whitetail. I went with prc because it shoots flatter. After a year of using it I wish I'd stuck with 7/08. Something about the 7/08. Things just die where I shoot them. They still die with the prc they just run a little. I know you said not spend 2000 on a rifle but mine weighs 5 3/4 lb and really feels great.

Cotis

I would take a hard look at the Browning X-bolt in 6.8 Western. Their Pro version with the Carbon Fiber stock is a bit spendy at ~$2k but is 6lb. A 6.5PRC, 7mm PRC, 6.8 Western, are all derivatives of a 270 WSM basically. The 6.8 Western is based on a WSM case with the shoulder set back 0.050 to allow for moderm heavy-for-caliber high BC bullets.

There are no flies on a 6.5 Creed, but it is not a speed demon either. A 6.5 PRC get you the extra 300 FPS which keeps the trajectory flatter and wind drift lower a the expense of higher recoil. This applies equally to all the cartridges I named above.

Most x-bolts have threaded barrels now. And many of them come with radial brakes AND a thread protector to install if you wich not to use the brake. A 6.5 CM x-bolt pro would be my choice if limited to the three calibers you listed. the 7mm-08 would be last. I owned a 7mm-08 rifle briefly, ammo is twice as expensive as .308 simply because it is not made as much/low demand.

Last edited:

Redfox

Not downing the X-bolt but for 2 grand I'd be looking at some of the other carbon offerings. If a man had a pocket full of money, and was after those kinda guns, I'd give proof a look. The ole tikka in 7-08 weighs 6.2 pounds with and could be had under a grand.

Dover_Mike

2-Step Enabled
I have goat hunted the last few years in SD with my 6BR. Probably my favorite all time caliber, got into a lot of walking last year and the weight of it was starting to get to me (12lb rifle). This year I am building a 25cm on a big horn action, going light with a proof carbon barrel and probably a manners.

DeerCamp

If you want to borrow my new .280AI, just holler.

You won't even have to take ammo with you. The antelope will see the green stock, surrender and hop into your trunk.

gtk

Staff member
Started thinkin about this gun back in March, ordered it yesterday .

Ended up going with Browning Speed 6.5 PRC. Will be able to use as backup elk rifle as well as deer getter.

Should be here in a few days.

Now to find some dies, and start researching loads.

HottyToddy

IMG_1340.jpeg

Exact rifle I used last month for this NM antelope. Well, the hell's canyon speed, but it's the same rifle as the speed. Also 6.5 PRC. H1000 and a 140gr accubond. Moved about 10' after being hit.

HottyToddy

VERY nice antelope ! is that an above average for the area you hunt in?
Thank you! It was my first time out there, so from personal experience I couldn't tell you. The few locals I was with said it was towards the top end of what they see around there. Can't wait to get him back from the taxidermist! (Euro mount)