My new "still hunting" rifle.

Tenntrapper

After selling my little 243, I needed a new, lightweight, compact rifle for still hunting.
This is what I brought home...today.
Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact 7/08. CRF action with 16.5" barrel. Wood and blue.
Mounted a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33 scope...I should be about good to go. Obviously, I will need to sight it in and start working on a load for it. Should be fun!!

Last edited:

Tenntrapper

Perfect set up in my opinion.

I have the Ruger American compact in 7mm-08 with the Leupold 2-7x33 scope, with Hunt-plex recticle.

It's not a M77, but I love mine.
I wanted a compact scope and the 2-7 was about an inch shorter and an ounce or so lighter than the 3-9. Got lucky...had that scope been any shorter, it wouldn't have fit in the rings... 😂

Tenntrapper

Perfect set up in my opinion.

I have the Ruger American compact in 7mm-08 with the Leupold 2-7x33 scope, with Hunt-plex recticle.

It's not a M77, but I love mine.
Does you American have a 8.5" twist? What ammo does it like?
My plan is to load some 154g Hornady RN (discontinued) for it. Figure it will be a short range gun....so BC is irrelevant.

Antler Daddy

After selling my little 243, I needed a new, lightweight, compact rifle for still hunting.
This is what I brought home...today.
Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact 7/08. CRF action with 16.5" barrel. Wood and blue.
Mounted a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33 scope...I should be about good to go. Obviously, I will need to sight it in and start working on a load for it. Should be fun!!

View attachment 216280
Very nice? Is it new or a used gun?

TboneD

She's a beauty! Pretty much my thinking for my Ruger American Predator with 18" barrel in 308 Win. I just took a Redfield 2-7x33 off my other brush gun, my Marlin 35 Rem, and used some thin bases and low rings so now I have a great cheek weld on a rifle that only weighs 7 pounds with the scope.

Remi

Take the ring off the front and put it on the rear and order a 3B for the front.

The rings should be marked so you should have a 5B on the rear and a 4B on the front right now if they are factory.

4B to the rear and a 3B on the front will give you lows. That's what I have on my MKII 30/06.

Tenntrapper

Take the ring off the front and put it on the rear and order a 3B for the front.

The rings should be marked so you should have a 5B on the rear and a 4B on the front right now if they are factory.

4B to the rear and a 3B on the front will give you lows. That's what I have on my MKII 30/06.
Cool...thanks. Just ordered a 3b.

DaveTN

Where do you get factory Ruger rings?
If you haven't yet found what you want...

Warne Scope Mounts manufactures all Ruger scope rings in the United States and, attesting to our craftsmanship, offers a lifetime warranty on all models. Like Ruger, Warne Scope Mounts has decades of experience in the industry. Our commitment to excellent manufacturing through the use of premium materials has made us one of the best-reviewed, most-trusted names in the business.

Derek

I love it! Perfect set-up. I have an older Ruger RSI in .308 with a 16.5 inch barrel. I have a Leupold 2-7 on it also. Same length as my Winchester 94.
It's pretty close to the perfect set up for me.

Latest posts