AR-15 help please...

Tenntrapper

First off, I want to acknowledge that I'm aware of Google, and the likely millions of videos online. I trust you guys more than some random dumbass mall ninja that makes videos.(yes, I know there are also good ones). Just asking for some help.

Although I've owned a couple ARs over the years, I never got "into" them. Usually the ownership was the result of a trade, and was very brief. Consider me a newbie...

Can someone recommend a good video for how to disassemble and clean/oil an AR?

Optics...this AR will serve double duty... hunting/home defense. I mounted a low powered scope on it in high rings, and still had to use a set of risers to get it high enough for proper eye alignment. The AR is a flat top. Honestly...it looks kinda stupid. Any other suggestions on how to mount a scope?

Next, how do you mount a single point sling?
Is there something else to put on the rifle first? Where does it mount?

This is a 556 chambered rifle. My plan is to shoot factory ammo... probably 223.
I reload 223 for a bolt rifle, but generally use slower powders than what's typically used for an AR. My understanding is that the slower powders are still too hot when the "flame" gets to the gas block. Am I understanding this correctly? Also, I don't crimp....isn't that necessary for a semi auto?

I'm sure I will have more questions as I work through this, but these are enough for now.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

backyardtndeer

Also, I don't crimp....isn't that necessary for a semi auto?
It is not necessary, I have never crimped a single round for my loads. I primarily load 55 grain pills for a number of ar's, imr4895 is my go to powder. You do NOT need sb dies. I have been using rcbs standard 223 full length dies for a pretty good while and have never had a single issue.

While I am not a fan of Midway, Larry had a very good break down video and also showed lube and oil points. They really are very simple.

You can mount a single point sling to the buffer tube endplate.

I like aero one piece mounts, best for their price by far and away. You can often find them in eBay pretty reasonably priced.

Omega

There are many configurations for ARs, so a pic of yours would help to recommend a sling. The advise above is on point as to cleaning and such, as to reloading most of my reloads are either for hunting or varmint shooting so many of the powders on-hand would suffice. The last time I loaded any, it's been a minute, I used Varget. You only need the small base dies if you get cases that were fired in the SAW or other auto weapon, none of cases I fired required more than a normal set of dies, I have some Lee, and RCBS for that caliber and they both do just fine.

Edit: I do use a crimp, but for years it was just what the Lee die put on them, a roll crimp. I now use the FCD, but it's more habit than anything as I never had an issue with just the roll crimp.

Tenntrapper

There are many configurations for ARs, so a pic of yours would help to recommend a sling. The advise above is on point as to cleaning and such, as to reloading most of my reloads are either for hunting or varmint shooting so many of the powders on-hand would suffice. The last time I loaded any, it's been a minute, I used Varget. You only need the small base dies if you get cases that were fired in the SAW or other auto weapon, none of cases I fired required more than a normal set of dies, I have some Lee, and RCBS for that caliber and they both do just fine.

Edit: I do use a crimp, but for years it was just what the Lee die put on them, a roll crimp. I now use the FCD, but it's more habit than anything as I never had an issue with just the roll crimp.
This is the one I bought...
Screenshot_2023-06-07-14-11-13-03_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Omega

Ok, looks like it's got a sling mount, two actually, on the stock, the hole, QR (Quick Release) is for this, the slot is to lace the sling right through it.

1686161957911.png

On the front if no QR, you can buy a sling mount which can be M-Lok (long slots) or picatinny (top rail).

Tenntrapper

No info there, what is it?
Sorry about that...

Scroll down...

DaveTN

Sorry about that...

Scroll down...
They (Radical Firearms) have a bunch of videos on YouTube. Here is one about "Quick Tip #5: Basic Field Strip and Lubrication"
Never heard of them. Let us know how they work out for you.
Messing with AR's is a sickness. It doesn't matter what you buy or how good it is, you will always be monkeying with it.

Rabbitkil

Here's a good link as well. Less is more with lubing your AR. Some guys will spray the 💩 out of it. Just wipe it down and drop of few drops of oil on the BCG and you're good ("Bolt Carrier Group")

I'll disagree with you on this sorta , it depends on how the rifle is going to be used and stored.. my work gun is fairly wet because how it's stored but regular use rifles are just like you describe… also type of lube plays a big part I've came across some that If you run a gun wet the lube will become gummy causing cycling issues

Specializedjon

I'll disagree with you on this sorta , it depends on how the rifle is going to be used and stored.. my work gun is fairly wet because how it's stored but regular use rifles are just like you describe… also type of lube plays a big part I've came across some that If you run a gun wet the lube will become gummy causing cycling issues
Agree 100%

I forgive you for disagreeing with me. For that, I'm not looking at the rifle your selling for an entire day. 🤣

Hawk103161

They also make a single point sling adapter that goes over your end plate nut and tightens down via an allen screw. I use those. I know those risers look weird but for some, Like me, needs them. 1 is strictly to get over my remote battery for night vision. I use QD mounts for all my scopes on that platform. If re-installed the same way, I've not had any issues with accuracy. I'm not a reloader unfortunately / Fortunately. Tinkering is fun.... Most of the time...
Look around on Optics Planet, Brownlee, Buds Gun shop, MidwayUSA, Cheaper than dirt, Bear Creek Arsenal or Palmetto Armory to name a few. They all have some of my money...LOL
Another thing Bear Creek has a nice red dot that would work for what you said.

Omega

I am of the mind that most of my ARs like to run wet. Due to the gas operation there is a lot of carbon that gets blown back into the BCG, the oil/lube helps it stay dissolved, otherwise it cakes on the bolt and bolt carrier making it not run as smooth. I know on my M-4 I would get much more carbon build up when it would just be just wiped down, vs squirting oil directly into the BCG before and between shooting sessions. Oh, and grease not oil on any metal to metal contact points. I won't recommend any brands because I have used many and can't rightly tell the difference but mostly stick to what the Army gave me, which was TW25 for grease and CLP back then. But I have picked up a few of the new "hotness" lubes because I am a sucker for new stuff, but I can't honestly say they are any better or worse than most any other lube.

Hawk103161

I am of the mind that most of my ARs like to run wet. Due to the gas operation there is a lot of carbon that gets blown back into the BCG, the oil/lube helps it stay dissolved, otherwise it cakes on the bolt and bolt carrier making it not run as smooth. I know on my M-4 I would get much more carbon build up when it would just be just wiped down, vs squirting oil directly into the BCG before and between shooting sessions. Oh, and grease not oil on any metal to metal contact points. I won't recommend any brands because I have used many and can't rightly tell the difference but mostly stick to what the Army gave me, which was TW25 for grease and CLP back then. But I have picked up a few of the new "hotness" lubes because I am a sucker for new stuff, but I can't honestly say they are any better or worse than most any other lube.
When I thought over all this. I sorta concur. I will say my 308 runs better wetter. My 556 dryer and I've not shot the Grendel enough to make a comment. So I guess really it's all about going out and shooting to figure out what's best for your platform. I'm also not one to go out and fire 500 rounds in 10 minutes either. Now I'm wanting to smell some powder....Thanks @Omega

Omega

When I thought over all this. I sorta concur. I will say my 308 runs better wetter. My 556 dryer and I've not shot the Grendel enough to make a comment. So I guess really it's all about going out and shooting to figure out what's best for your platform. I'm also not one to go out and fire 500 rounds in 10 minutes either. Now I'm wanting to smell some powder....Thanks @Omega
You and me both, I definitely reduced round count when I had to pay for it. I guess I should have added the caveat that it depends on how much you shoot, if just out hunting then a good wipe down would suffice, but a mag or more then I would run wet.

Hawk103161

You and me both, I definitely reduced round count when I had to pay for it. I guess I should have added the caveat that it depends on how much you shoot, if just out hunting then a good wipe down would suffice, but a mag or more then I would run wet.
I'm a Mag or MORE....My trigger finger has a hard time stopping that slow steady pull and with those extra Mags... Well you know.....

Latest posts