MZ Failure - take note

LanceS4803

I've had a Traditions Vortek for about 10 years. Used for mule deer, whitetails and occasional coyotes. Always the same basic load, 250 or 260 gr bullet and 110gr of BH209. This year stepped up to a 300gr for elk, same powder charge. (Leaving soon!)

Yesterday it quit working. Would impact the primer but primer did not fire, BUT the firing pin was stuck in the fired position. I could pop it back, but depressing the back of the firing pin would make it stick in the fired position. Inspection revealed the opening of the firing pin channel had narrowed (measured opening against end of channel), causing the firing pin the stick.

Got it home and discovered that the firing pin would not move freely in the channel. Contacted Traditions and was told I simply wasn't cleaning the rifle enough. They did not believe it was the firing pin opening size, that it was carbon build up and recommended various cleaners.

So, took an appropriate drill bit and hand turned off the constriction, .003 in diameter difference. Then used a flash hole deburring tool to remove any burr on either side of the channel. Smoothed out some raised areas on the actual firing pin and polished it up. Works slick as snot now. The receiver is aluminum but I still don't know why this happened.

Bottom line, this would have been disastrous if this had happened when lined up on an elk. Not sure how many use Traditions, or similar, but may be worth checking out.

BuckDoeHunter

I can see that happening. I had a traditions xlt2 that had the face of the firing pin hole area dent in the shape of a 209 primer rim. traditions said it was normal wear and tear. I know it was from the soft aluminum alloy they used. It's the only muzzleloader I ever got rid of.

FrontierGander

yep, the primer is smashing back into the alloy frame and causing your firing pin hole to close up on you. Install one of these and it wont be an issue again.The headspace ( gap between primer and frame ) is extremely loose and when you fire it, the primer turns into a projectile and slams right into the frame, causing it to dent and fold that little hole inward.
https://buckskinsbp.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... aling.html

LanceS4803

Thanks for the info.
So I am NOT crazy (about what happened to my MZ, anyway). This is exactly what I suspected.
Why in the world would Traditions not tell me this was likely, especially since they made such a big deal out of telling me, 3 times, that my rifle was made in 2009? I'll keep that correct drill bit to make sure the firing pin channel is true to spec (whatever that is, they didn't say), just in case. Will certainly take a look at the o-ring method, also.
I think it is time to step up to a nicer rifle after the season is over. Looking at Knight, or some other high quality MZ. Will save that for another thread.

jetwrnch

I've seen this when the flash hole is too large allowing a lot of pressure to go the wrong way. My TC Encore receiver has the same impression from the primer, and it's steel.

LanceS4803

You won't even believe the email I got from them today.
I laid out how after 9 years, the rifle is malfunctioning with over 10% of the primers popping, but not setting off the powder. A new primer does it.
I got fresh powder, changed primers and even bought a new breech plug. Still a problem and it almost cost me a bull elk last week.
Their response? The firing pin hit the primer and it popped, so the rifle works as intended. They go on to say try different powders, primers, etc.
9 years it has worked!

Problems with this rifle so far?
Sling swivel stud broke out of the forend when attached to a bipod (they replaced)
Sight rail drill off center (i bought a new one)
Stock finish turned incredibly sticky (they acknowledged a problem and said to repaint)
Firing pin hole flowed over (I drilled)
Breech plug problem (I am thinking of slightly enlarging)

A CVA Accura is looking good in the future

Omega

You won't even believe the email I got from them today.
I laid out how after 9 years, the rifle is malfunctioning with over 10% of the primers popping, but not setting off the powder. A new primer does it.
I got fresh powder, changed primers and even bought a new breech plug. Still a problem and it almost cost me a bull elk last week.
Their response? The firing pin hit the primer and it popped, so the rifle works as intended. They go on to say try different powders, primers, etc.
9 years it has worked!

Problems with this rifle so far?
Sling swivel stud broke out of the forend when attached to a bipod (they replaced)
Sight rail drill off center (i bought a new one)
Stock finish turned incredibly sticky (they acknowledged a problem and said to repaint)
Firing pin hole flowed over (I drilled)
Breech plug problem (I am thinking of slightly enlarging)

A CVA Accura is looking good in the future
Could it be your primers? When I started using BH209, I started with BP primers, then standard primers when told by the folks at BH209 that they did not recommend the BP primers. Now I see that they recommend the magnum CCI primers instead of the regular CCIs I now use.

Blackhorn 209 Primer Recommendations

Last edited:

sun

Someone posted a photo of a bulged primer and asked if it was normal after installing a new hex head breech plug and loading with 2 Pyrodex pellets.
He ended up installing a soft O-ring and switched to Winchester 777 primers that were measured to have a slightly larger diameter and length.
His next photo showed how spotless the inside of his receiver was after trying out the 777 primers.
He said that he had never seen it so clean after a shooting session before.
The O-ring combined with the WIN primer seemed to very effectively seal the gases leaking past the primer of his new Optima breech plug.

Last edited:

Smo

Simple fix.....

167A90C1-9E51-4A73-B907-5EB5B0D98B13.jpeg

backyardtndeer

Not sure how many use Traditions, or similar, but may be worth checking out.
cva accura will do this. Had a 10 point on a very cold morning(low teens) I squeezed on 3 times, changing primers after the first and second misfire. Looked at the gun before closing the action for the third and worked the hammer and pin manually. Turned out there was just enough buildup to not allow the pin to move properly. I did end up getting a strong enough hit for the shot to go on the third try, and killed the deer on a 175 yard shot.