Recovered 300 Grain Barnes MZ Expanders

Wiley

I didn't want to hijack the Powerbelt thread but I wanted to post pics of the only 2 300gr Barnes Expanders that I've ever recovered out of dozens of deer that I've killed with them. I've never missed and never lost a deer shot with these bullets. Always just one shot and done.

This first pic is a bullet that went through a sapling that was close to 3 inches in diameter, then into the deer and stopped against the hide on the off side of the deer. I never saw the sapling as I followed the walking doe and squeezed off the 40 yard shot. She ran about 30 yards and piled up. The weapon was my old Remington 700ML and it was incredibly accurate with these bullets. 100 grains of loose Pyrodex Select was the preferred powder in this weapon. Anyway, this bullet mushroomed INWARD and has the wood from the sapling in the hollow part of the bullet. I was just stunned when I figured out what I was looking at after cleaning it up. The scale shows the weight gain from the wood.
rtCFoMM.jpg

The pic below is another 300gr Barnes from a 6 point that I shot at 180 yards on a power line and the bullet stopped under the hide on the off side. The deer never took a step. This weapon was my CVA Accura V2. 80 grains of Blackhorn 209 is the charge for this weapon. Pretty impressive weight retention on this one.
q4EiNm9.jpg

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

Could not agree more on the Barnes. Since switching years ago I've taken five bucks and have recovered two bullets. On both bucks where the bullet was recovered they were quartering away and bullet was just under skin on opposite side shoulder....and both dropped within sight....other three bucks had a good exit hole...and 99% weight retention on the two recovered... basically the plastic tip is gone...very pleased with accuracy. Barnes T-EZ in CVA Accura LR-V2 120gr 777.

Attachments

• IMG_20191115_083030917~4.jpg
    IMG_20191115_083030917~4.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

BSK

Brian, if you EVER go 1 season with these Barnes MZ Expanders you'll forever wonder what took you so long. I've been shooting these exclusively since the Remington 700ML came out in, I believe, 1996.
I'll remember that. If I can't find something full-sized (50-caliber) that I'm pleased with, I'll give them a try.

I've got a card of 405 lead FP Powerbelts I haven't tried yet, plus ordered a card of 338 Platinums from Powerbelt as well.

paboom

I've had outstanding results from the Expander line as well as the TEZ. The TMZ is probably the most accurate of the Barnes line that I have shot but I prefer the TEZ with the flat base so I can swap out sabots.

Sure wish I could find some Expandeders though. The stash is getting low.

TNJones4530

2-Step Enabled
I've had outstanding results from the Expander line as well as the TEZ. The TMZ is probably the most accurate of the Barnes line that I have shot but I prefer the TEZ with the flat base so I can swap out sabots.

Sure wish I could find some Expandeders though. The stash is getting low.
Giving 290gr T-EZ a try this year

DeerCamp

Anytime somebody says they have issues with anything mzl bullet related, I give them a couple xpanders.

Doesn't make since to shoot anything else in the .45 - .50 range.

Dennis

I've killed a lot of deer with Barnes expanders. But I have to disagree about them making 2 holes. In my experience, they very frequently end up just under the skin on the opposite side. I have recovered bunches of them, including one where I dispatched a spine shot buck at point blank range through the lungs. Bullet just under the skin on the opposite side, I have never seen one lose any weight, just perfect flowers.

That being said, I have also killed a few with 300 grain Barnes Originals. If you want a bullet that always creates 2 holes, that's your huckleberry.

Wiley

I've killed a lot of deer with Barnes expanders. But I have to disagree about them making 2 holes. In my experience, they very frequently end up just under the skin on the opposite side. I have recovered bunches of them, including one where I dispatched a spine shot buck at point blank range through the lungs. Bullet just under the skin on the opposite side, I have never seen one lose any weight, just perfect flowers.

That being said, I have also killed a few with 300 grain Barnes Originals. If you want a bullet that always creates 2 holes, that's your huckleberry.
What is your load and weapon? I could drop my powder charge and recover plenty probably but my accuracy and range would suffer.

Dennis

What is your load and weapon? I could drop my powder charge and recover plenty probably but my accuracy and range would suffer.
The loads I used most often were a 12 gauge and 20 gauge load from Federal. I have also used them in a 50 cal muzzleloader with 100 grains Pyrodex. The deer I killed with them were all large bodied bucks well over 200 lbs.

1665665265416.png

1665665318938.png

Hduke86

Do they still sell those?
BSK are you looking for 54 cal (.500) or 50 cal (.451-.452), I will dig around at the house cause I know I HAD some Barnes 54 cal .500 275g flat base expanders at one point. They may have actually been 325g but either way if I find them I'll mail them your way. I have no use for them since going smokeless 45 using a different bullet.

BSK

BSK are you looking for 54 cal (.500) or 50 cal (.451-.452), I will dig around at the house cause I know I HAD some Barnes 54 cal .500 275g flat base expanders at one point. They may have actually been 325g but either way if I find them I'll mail them your way. I have no use for them since going smokeless 45 using a different bullet.
Are those sabotted bullets? I'm really looking for something full-sized (50-caliber).

Hduke86

Are those sabotted bullets? I'm really looking for something full-sized (50-caliber).
The 54 cal would be .500 non sabot and the 50 cal is .451-.452 non sabot. If I can find them and if they're the .54 cal then I'll holler at you and send them your way. Depending on your barrel you may or may not have to knurl the .54 cal .500 non sabot but either way I'll try to dig them up. I'm fairly certain they were the .54cal (.500) 325g. Fingers crossed that I can find them in my treasure room, aka junk room my wife calls it.

Latest posts