Will Tn. ever allow straight walled cartridges in MZ?

ImThere

I would still use my muzzle loader some during the season even if it went to any weapon, I have always loved them for some odd ball reason, bring back my 3rd buck tag that was stolen.
Me too but part of that love is being ALONE!! Lol at least the first week or two. Same with bow season. I have carried my ML all season on occasion.

Smo

I could change my mind at some point but for now I like the muzzleloader season as it is. Best time to be in the woods in my opinion and love the sight and smell of the smoke rolling when it goes bang!
Don't forget the special effects light show!

65C3319A-937A-4199-AFE4-B7544BFF1841.jpeg

That's what I'm talking about!👍

B093DAFD-5057-4F8A-BF46-94DDB6224FE2.jpeg

Falls coming y'all, it's time too make ready..🤣

Last edited:

CharlieTN

I'm one of those odd ones who will hunt with a muzzleloader through the gun season. I've had multiple occasions where I've shot a deer with a muzzleloader and have observed the other deer aren't spooked by that big boom like they are with the crack of a rifle. I like the added challenge of having basically a slow single shot, it makes me watch for the best shot. Where I hunt you're unlikely to get a shot further than 50-75 yards so I don't feel handicapped by my muzzleloader which is good to 100 yards.

So, personally I hope they don't allow straight wall cartridges during muzzy season. I don't doubt that other states have done so in an attempt to increase deer harvest.

Wobblyshot1

Doesn't TWRA sell an individual license for each of those depending on what waepon you use? So it's probably still finincially benefical to TWRA to keep those seasons.
As long as I can remember they have and that predates the time before the addition of the ML/archery season. The "just deer season" has been discussed on here many times before but I don't remember what conclusions may have been drawn....other than it made me lean more toward the one season....Just my opinion only.

Back to the thread subject about allowing straight wall cartridges in single shot rifles legal during muzzleloader season the problem being the name of the season....It would no longer be just ML season. So, change the name to "primitive" as some have suggested....problem solved. I got to thinking about that mindset and came to the conclusion that since modern archery equipment is just as effective as my flintlock rifle using iron sights and patched ball, then why aren't flintlocks at least allowed in archery season? I say, allow traditional side lock muzzleloaders using iron sights and ball during archery season....Oh my gosh! but it wouldn't be archery season anymore so we'll just have to change the name.....How bout calling it the "primitive season" with the old ML season changed to the "single shot season" and keep G/ML/archery as is.....Three seasons as always and everybody is happy. 🥰

PillsburyDoughboy

BH209 if your not going to go with a smokeless is really the only way to go in a modern inline. You can go for weeks without cleaning provided you have not gotten any moister/rain involved. Ive tested a old MZ to see how long I can go and had one loaded and shot for months and did not see any signs of pitting so really did not see any reason to be concerned with a normal 2 week season.

PillsburyDoughboy

I'm one of those odd ones who will hunt with a muzzleloader through the gun season. I've had multiple occasions where I've shot a deer with a muzzleloader and have observed the other deer aren't spooked by that big boom like they are with the crack of a rifle. I like the added challenge of having basically a slow single shot, it makes me watch for the best shot. Where I hunt you're unlikely to get a shot further than 50-75 yards so I don't feel handicapped by my muzzleloader which is good to 100 yards.

So, personally I hope they don't allow straight wall cartridges during muzzy season. I don't doubt that other states have done so in an attempt to increase deer harvest.
Given the fact that most people only hunt wooded areas and they are only shooting 25 yards to 150 yards a modern inline muzzleloader is as effective tool in the woods as needed. I can see the argument for straight walled cartridge folks. Alot of hunters simply do not want to mess with all the stuff that goes along with a muzzleloader for just a 2 week season. On the other hand if you take that season away I am scared we are never going to introduce out younger generation to the joys of muzzleloading. I realize by having a only muzzleloading season we are somewhat forcing these younger hunters to go out and buy a muzzleloader and pick up the sport. Much like I did growing up. I really did not care for it much the first years. Then I got my first Knight and I was hooked.

CharlieTN

Given the fact that most people only hunt wooded areas and they are only shooting 25 yards to 150 yards a modern inline muzzleloader is as effective tool in the woods as needed. I can see the argument for straight walled cartridge folks. Alot of hunters simply do not want to mess with all the stuff that goes along with a muzzleloader for just a 2 week season. On the other hand if you take that season away I am scared we are never going to introduce out younger generation to the joys of muzzleloading. I realize by having a only muzzleloading season we are somewhat forcing these younger hunters to go out and buy a muzzleloader and pick up the sport. Much like I did growing up. I really did not care for it much the first years. Then I got my first Knight and I was hooked.
I would agree with you completely on this. I was lucky, growing up, my dad was into the whole mountain man thing, even gave me a .54 Hawken he built from a kit when I was 11-12. Still have it and hope to kill a deer with it the next couple of years.

Latest posts