TN/KY Longrifle Show

recurve60#

I've thought of going to shows to find a Honaker rifle, but I know the odds are so slim. I have held one though.
20210111_165900.jpg
20210111_165904.jpg

Wobblyshot1

Well known family of makers.... I didn't see one there, but I wasn't looking. There were antiques from many areas of the U. S. The photo I pulled up caught my eye because of the surprisingly similar carving. Is the one you post signed? More pics would be nice.

recurve60#

Well known family of makers.... I didn't see one there, but I wasn't looking. There were antiques from many areas of the U. S. The photo I pulled up caught my eye because of the surprisingly similar carving. Is the one you post signed? More pics would be nice.

Yes it's signed by James Honaker. That's what we were looking at with the flashlight, but I couldn't get it to show up in a picture. I am a Honaker from Hans Jacob, my grandfather so many times back. I tried to buy the one I had hands on, but no dice.

Wobblyshot1

I'll keep an eye out for one.

There was an exceptionally fine Hans Jacob Honaker that recently (2021) came up for auction at Rock Island Auctions......it realized $92000.

I'm sure there are a few builders out there that could make you up a Honaker copy for far, far less than the above amount.;)

Wobblyshot1

I love it been going last 3 years ,anyone here want to get together to shoot some black powder
I would be for that but I'm afraid logistics would get in the way. I'm down near Murfreesboro. I would think in an area like Knoxville there would be some like-minded folks doing black powder. Back in the 70s and 80s there was a club in Knoxville called The John Sevier Long Rifles.... wonder what ever happened to them?

I recently, on another forum, came across a guy who introduced himself as the youngest charter member of the club I belong to in Tullahoma. In 1969 he was a teenager when the club started but his family moved away in 1972. All contact with him was lost as school, work and life got in the way of his black powder pursuit. Well, he's retired now and looking to pick his old hobby again and in search of a group to shoot with. BTY, he's in Knoxville and I'm pretty sure I could get his contact info if you're interested.

I wonder how an online shooting match would go over on TnDeer? We could do it monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly......just a thought

tnpoorboy

I'd just like to find some guys where you don't need to ware buckskin bibs or jeans would be fine if anyone wants to shoot let me know if you can get his info that would be great

TennesseeJed

On youtube I saw a group in East Tennessee called "South Central Middle East Tennessee Long Rifles". They're NMLRA chartered and it looked like a fun bunch of guys to shoot with.

Latest posts