Knoxville show

mike243

That little Asian diner has some decent food if you need a lunch, not sure where the BH is you would think a address would help folks who are not familiar with the area would help , not sure I have seen the noticed the place and I'm through there multiple times a week

Rancocas

Well, I got to the show before noon. Saw several old acquaintances.
My wife is ready to kill me, though, because I came home with another rifle. I bought a lightly used, left-hand .50 caliber flintlock. Really nice engraving and carving work. The name J. Fahling is engraved on the barrel. I'm told he is the maker. I had never heard of him. I have found several J. Fahlings on the Internet, but none of them say anything about contemporary gunmaking.
Can anyone fill me in about him?

The man who sold me the gun is a bag and powderhorn maker, not a gunmaker. His name is Bill Smith and he can be found at billsmithblackpowder.com Ron Hess, the noted powderhorn maker had the table next to Smith. I had bought a banded powderhorn from Hess at last year's show. We were all talking and then Hess said; "Well since you bought a horn from me last year, and you just bought this rifle, here I'm giving you this little priming horn to go with it."
Wow! I sure was surprised and impressed with his generosity.
Also at the show I got to shoot the breeze a bit with David Wright, the well-known artist of colonial and civil war paintings. I have bumped into him many times through the years, and bought one of his paintings many years ago.
Good people, all of them, and I recommend their work to anyone interested in fine art and traditional muzzleloading accoutrements.

So, I came away from the show quite happy. And, my wife has calmed down again. ():~)
On down the freeway, my son-in-law and I stopped in Sweetwater for a late lunch in a place just off the highway called "The Dinner Bell". Pretty good buffet.

Wobblyshot1

Rancocas, hate that I didn't get to meet you but may have been real close. The wife and I were talking to Ron Hess when I noticed a fella counting out "currency of the realm" to old Bill Smith for a rifle he had just bought. By the way, I'm the old geezer with the petit curly headed blonde in tow. She's been accused of being my daughter but she's actually my wife, lol. Looks and sounds like you did good.
It was a really great show and broke up a little early on Saturday but was quite busy on Friday. The only thing I bought was this mildly used book. My wife came away with one of Charle Brown's hunting pouches made from 100% groundhog hide (except for the deer sinew used to put it all together). I think it's really cool how he used the hair-on rump and tail for the pouch flap.
20220424_173124.jpg
20220424_173231~2.jpg

Wobblyshot1

The book is the standard for the study of the American longrifle. Chock full of photos and bios of the early gunsmith who built them. BTW there was an original Dickert for Sale at the show....the owner was only asking $19000 for it.
20220424_173348~2.jpg

Rancocas

I'm sorry that we didn't connect, Wobbleshot. I was vaguely aware of a couple talking with Hess while I was working out the details of my purchase, but I didn't pay any attention to them.

So, here you go; on top is the rifle I bought at the show from Bill Smith. On the bottom is my own homemade percussion rifle. I made it back in 1998 and it has accounted for many deer since then.
Both are .50. Both have 42 inch barrels, but mine is straight whereas the flintlock has a swamped barrel.
My shot bag I also made myself sometime back in the '90's. The toggle holding the flap closed I made from the tip of a deer antler. It has served me well for 25 years or more. My powder measure on the bag I made from a deer femur bone. My powderhorn is one that I purchased from Ron Hess at last year's show. Prior to this one I had been using a horn of my own making. And, there is my current loading block with 5 patched balls ready for action.

IMGP9051.JPG

Latest posts