Will Tn. ever allow straight walled cartridges in MZ?

mike243

I bought a lifetime in the first year it went to $1620 and have no plans to do anything to lose them, at my age what little time I have to hunt won't mean anything to the hunting world, the future of hunting does bother me as it's changing drastically from what it was when I started hunting. lose of habitat to urban sprawl is a very real problem that wont ever get better. I have 2 grandkids with the lifetime license and while the grandson loves to hunt he isn't driven like I was at that age, well maybe girls did put a damper on me some at that age lol, the granddaughter probably won't ever hunt but loves to fish, if they are biting , I would hate for the use and care of the older ways of hunting to be lost but I suppose time marches on and we can't just run stuff off cliffs to make meat, reckon some of us won't ever be happy till everything is as easy as pushing a button. The rest of us will go down screaming and kicking lol.

tnpoorboy

I bought a lifetime in the first year it went to $1620 and have no plans to do anything to lose them, at my age what little time I have to hunt won't mean anything to the hunting world, the future of hunting does bother me as it's changing drastically from what it was when I started hunting. lose of habitat to urban sprawl is a very real problem that wont ever get better. I have 2 grandkids with the lifetime license and while the grandson loves to hunt he isn't driven like I was at that age, well maybe girls did put a damper on me some at that age lol, the granddaughter probably won't ever hunt but loves to fish, if they are biting , I would hate for the use and care of the older ways of hunting to be lost but I suppose time marches on and we can't just run stuff off cliffs to make meat, reckon some of us won't ever be happy till everything is as easy as pushing a button. The rest of us will go down screaming and kicking lol.
Amen brother

ThorThor

This state will never be what others are for buck quality (with a few exceptions) are because rifles and muzz- which are rifles now- are allowed during November. I hope they do not allow straight wall cartridges in November or if they do make it for the week after muzz closes or 9/10 days. Then regular rifle season to get the bucks into the very end of November before reg rifles are in the field.

Last edited:

mike243

Your wrong we dont have what deer need to grow big for the most part due to minerals and genetics proven fact lot of older deer killed they just dont have what trophy hunters are after average 2.5 8pts are normally in the 125lbs range if they get that many points, look up northern states see what the vitals are there

ThorThor

Sure a few counties are not genetically blessed ( Green. Blount etc ) but yes most people shoot 2.5 year old bucks no matter what is on their head. Even here in East TN a lot of the bucks will make 145/150 gross BC if given the chance. We wipe them out in Nov.

Kelljp

Most of our East TN deer were transported from Chuck swan back in the 80s, if anyone remembers back that far they were unusually small, later I watched as the TWRA released 10 larger deer in our community ( biologist said they were from Catoosa) . I have seen better horns the last 5 years here in Carter county. I think it's to, the majority are 2 1/2 year old bucks killed. I watched one here on the farm for 4 years and he did get to a very nice wide/high 12 point but he disappeared this past year. Farm deer have the nutrition to grow bigger but they also have higher visibility.

vonb

I think allowing straight-walled cartridges will be a function of revenue generation for TWRA to introduce more people to the outdoors. As someone said above, follow the money. Our youth today aren't interested in the the outdoors. However, give 'em a phone and nothing else matters. Seeing the 350 Legend and now the 360 Buckhammer introduced, it's the ticket for other states to just introduce modern rifles to the season.

As for the quality of bucks, we're already seeing better deer today in my opinion as a result of changing the limit. I haven't checked but it could also be a function of less people hunting. Deer in our area are also much more populated than a few years ago. When I started hunting the area I'm in now, you were lucky if you saw one deer in a season.

DoubleRidge

If straight wall's are made legal during muzzleloader will we be allowed to carry our .700 nitro express? How about our .444 Marlin?....(pardon my sarcasm)

Last edited:

Latest posts