BH209 in stock, Dickson TN.

Dickson Sportsman store May have its shortcomings, but I called there today to see if they had .490 round ball, I was told no, but that they just got their shipment of powder in. I was told they have BH209, primers / caps, and Pyrodex.

The black horn does NOT include the Pepto-Bismol you need to stomach the prices though.

I won't be buying any, but I thought I would pass the word around.

JCDEERMAN

Dickson Sportsman store May have its shortcomings, but I called there today to see if they had .490 round ball, I was told no, but that they just got their shipment of powder in. I was told they have BH209, primers / caps, and Pyrodex.

The black horn does NOT include the Pepto-Bismol you need to stomach the prices though.

I like DSS, atleast the bow shop. Pepto-bismol 🤣

CliffordN

How bad is the price?

How bad is the price?
I'm not not sure at that specific store, I didn't ask. But the average price it seems to be around $70 to $90 for a HALF pound. Giving the other prices in that store, I would expect closer to $90, and a 45 minute wait in the checkout line that you're the only person in.

I could by about 3-4 lb of pyrodex or real black for the same price, and I still have to clean the gun regardless.

I might consider BH209 for multi-day hunts that would otherwise require me to spend an hour cleaning my gun every night, but until the prices come down, I won't be purchasing any. I might consider paying $80 for a pound, but not a half. That's freaking ridiculous for what is basically a smokeless powder with inert filler.

If people keep buying it, the prices won't come down.
Maybe if we don't buy any for 2 years, they'll come to terms.
I make it very clear in every muzzleloading and hunting forum that I am a part of that I will not purchase BH209 until the price is down, I'm sure the manufacturers have PR teams that browse muzzle loading specific websites.

If you look at the MSDS, it's literally slow burning shotgun powder, mixed with an inert filler to slow the burn. It's the same thing as cutting drugs. If someone had the proper test equipment, and the time, it would probably be pretty easy to make.

-From the SDS-
CAS Number %[Weight] Name
Not Disclosed 30-90 Nitrate Ester
Not Disclosed 1-5 Stabilizer, Proprietary
Not Disclosed 0-25 Oxidizer, Mineral
Not Disclosed 0-25 Oxidizer, Organic
Proprietary 0-10 Carbonaceous Substance
---

To me, that means it's cheaper to manufacture BH209 than it is regular smokeless, the niche market is what keeps it going.

I'm hoping that Hodgdon releases their loose 888 powder soon, at a reasonable price.

I fully support a BH209 boycott until the prices come down too under $70 a POUND, not that dwimpy little 8oz jug.

PillsburyDoughboy

I've actually heard great things about the bow shop. Supposedly they're one of the best in the area, or so I've heard from many different people.

Thankfully the creepy owner / manager leaves me alone when I'm back there too.
He does have that Mr Rodgers thing going on right ?

With that said if people could keep their manhood in check he definitely knows his inventory and his knowledge of firearms and bows is on point. There are other people in the bow department I would prefer to work on my bow but he has been the only one there in the past to do the work and has done the work in a pinch perfectly. So no complaints.

PillsburyDoughboy

I make it very clear in every muzzleloading and hunting forum that I am a part of that I will not purchase BH209 until the price is down, I'm sure the manufacturers have PR teams that browse muzzle loading specific websites.

If you look at the MSDS, it's literally slow burning shotgun powder, mixed with an inert filler to slow the burn. It's the same thing as cutting drugs. If someone had the proper test equipment, and the time, it would probably be pretty easy to make.

-From the SDS-
CAS Number %[Weight] Name
Not Disclosed 30-90 Nitrate Ester
Not Disclosed 1-5 Stabilizer, Proprietary
Not Disclosed 0-25 Oxidizer, Mineral
Not Disclosed 0-25 Oxidizer, Organic
Proprietary 0-10 Carbonaceous Substance
---

To me, that means it's cheaper to manufacture BH209 than it is regular smokeless, the niche market is what keeps it going.

I'm hoping that Hodgdon releases their loose 888 powder soon, at a reasonable price.

I fully support a BH209 boycott until the prices come down too under $70 a POUND, not that dwimpy little 8oz jug.
Till someone comes out with something that can be cleaned with conventional cleaning solvents I'll just pay the man.

A jug usually last me a season or two. So not a huge expense all things considered.

Till someone comes out with something that can be cleaned with conventional cleaning solvents I'll just pay the man.
Soap and water has worked fine for me, sprayed with a little bit of isopropyl alcohol afterwards, and just a touch of Ballististol. No rust yet.

Like I said, I could see its advantages on a multi-day hunt where cleaning your gun is much less feasible, but other than that, Y'all can keep spending those ridiculous prices, I won't.
A jug usually last me a season or two. So not a huge expense all things considered.
I shoot a lot for fun, probably around 2-3 lb a year, that's not much by most peoples standards, but I definitely go through some powder. BH just is not reasonable for me.

Latest posts