Mature acorns - what are you seeing where

catman529

I walked almost a mile from the truck today scouting my way in looking for a hot tree or buck sign. Didn't find either, but the Shumard oaks are all raining down heavy. I'd say at least half of them are loaded this year. Persimmons on the field edge dropping like crazy too. Post oak loaded down but not dropping yet. It's gonna be a tough season with a lot of ground to cover finding the hot trees.

woodsman04

Got some on my place in Giles. Of all varieties. This is the first year since '17 that we've had whites, or plentiful whites. 18 was none whatsoever, and 19 and 20 were fair with reds.

I'm not like a lot of people. I want there to be lots of acorns everywhere every year. I'm more concerned with the deer and turkeys food than I am me shooting one.

woodsman04

The Blacks or the Chinquapins? I find deer LOVE the Chinquapins, bot not their sister tree the Mountain Chestnut. They will hardly touch those. The Blacks only get eaten when no varieties in the white family are available.
I agree with the Chinkapins, but I have a spot that has the mountain chestnuts that they seem to really like.

I know people always say they prefer white over red, and deer do. But I have seen several spots that they'll tear a particular red oak up for some reason. Same goes with persimmon. I don't know if it's the soil, the exact DNA of the tree, location of tree to the deers' daily travel/routine/bedding, a mixture of all of that, or something else.

DoubleRidge

I agree with the Chinkapins, but I have a spot that has the mountain chestnuts that they seem to really like.

I know people always say they prefer white over red, and deer do. But I have seen several spots that they'll tear a particular red oak up for some reason. Same goes with persimmon. I don't know if it's the soil, the exact DNA of the tree, location of tree to the deers' daily travel/routine/bedding, a mixture of all of that, or something else.

Generally speaking I do believe deer prefer whites over reds....but I also have a large red oak that the deer absolutely hammer regardless of what other acorns are around.

Latest posts