Mature acorns - what are you seeing where

Andy S.

^^^ Never known deer to eat them, they usually lay on the ground untouched in my neck of the woods, with the husks nearby. I rarely come across them, but when I do, I grab a few for my kids and tell them they bring good luck. :) I have read squirrels will eat them and I have read buckeyes can be toxic to cattle. That is about as much exposure as I have had with buckeyes. Others may know better.

Last edited:

tree_ghost

^^^ Never known deer to eat them, they usually lay on the ground untouched in my neck of the woods, with the husks nearby. I rarely come across them, but when I do, I grab a few for my kids and tell them they bring good luck. :) I have read squirrels will eat them and I have read buckeyes can be toxic to cattle. That is about as much exposure as I have had with buckeyes. Others may know better.
I've heard the same thing about the toxicity

Ski

Looked at my persimmon tree yesterday and the fruit is still green. There are a few more deeper into the property but I don't want to go in until hunting season. Willow and white oaks still dropping strong.

Winchester

Just Chestnut oak and a few Reds so far here in East TN. Have saw a handful of White oaks knocked out by rain and wind but very few so far. Trees do appear to have them however.

JCDEERMAN

Whites are not on the ground yet in Hickman, but they sure are loaded. This was from a limb we cut down around our cabin.

acorns.jpg

JW01

Acorns falling in Polk. Muscadines and persimmons are loaded. I'm curious with such a heavy crop if it's a sign of what kind of winter we may have.❄

JArender

had a lot of wind at my ky farm wednesday and when walking field edges and atv trail a lot of white got knocked out they weren't ready to fall though but other then that all of the trees protected below the hill and small varieties are barely dropping yet.

Snake

This big ole white oak @ the house is covering my driveway .
On my property in McMinn Co. plenty of both white and red oaks . Went to my daughter's to put up one more double ladder stand and I didn't see an acorn . Lot of really big white oaks there and may hadn't started dropping yet (didn't look)but didn't see any on the ground , red oaks the same.

BSK

Couldn't believe how many acorns are already on the ground when checking cams at my place yesterday. Acorns are falling at about one every 10 seconds at any given spot. We already have more acorns on the ground now than at peak drop last year. Most of the acorns now are Whites, with a few Reds, Blacks, and just a couple Mountain Chestnut.

JCDEERMAN

Can't wait to check out our place next weekend. That will make 5 weeks since I've been there. We've had a few years consecutively with little to no acorns.

BSK

Can't wait to check out our place next weekend. That will make 5 weeks since I've been there. We've had a few years consecutively with little to no acorns.
We had a big crop in 2019, but 2017, 2018, and 2020 were all very poor acorn years. In fact, the 3 year running mean I calculate for acorn production was at its lowest point in 20 years.

Pioneer1789

My red and white oaks have a good amount. Not as much as the past 2 years. I think that late freeze impacted them somewhat. Most are still green. Just a few dropping here and there. East TN close to the KY line

JCDEERMAN

We had a big crop in 2019, but 2017, 2018, and 2020 were all very poor acorn years. In fact, the 3 year running mean I calculate for acorn production was at its lowest point in 20 years.
That's right, 2019 we did have a few acorns. Just no deer due to ehd. Actually, the last year we had quality hunting at our place was 2017. Hoping for a big change this year.

Last edited:

BSK

That's right, 2019 we did have a few acorns. Just no deer due to ehd. We are the only place around with acorns and if they're dropping, we have the deer. Hoping that's the case this year.
We didn't have the EHD in 2019, just a hurricane that wiped out the forest and the deer completely vanished from the hill country. Worst year we've ever had.