Acorns

Bone Collector

I'm seeing a lot of acorns in Mid TN (pretty close to you). However they seem to have just now started dropping. The reds are really green and the whites are somewhat green too, but are starting to ripen and drop. I feel like they are on every tree, so finding "the" tree the deer are under is key.

DEDDY

I'm seeing a lot of acorns in Mid TN (pretty close to you). However they seem to have just now started dropping. The reds are really green and the whites are somewhat green too, but are starting to ripen and drop. I feel like they are on every tree, so finding "the" tree the deer are under is key.
My son and I looked around and found lights of deer droppings around this one tree, so that seems to be "the tree"

BSK

Mountain Chestnut Oaks have been dropping hard for two weeks in the Nashville Basin and western Highland Rim. A few White Oaks are dropping, but mostly they're just dropping their excess acorns. The real White oak acorn drop won't occur for another month. Some Red Oak acorns falling in the Nashville Basin, but very few Reds on the western Highland Rim.

DoubleRidge

Hadnt bow hunted yet but checked a few trees....finding plenty of acorns. (Akerns) both the whiteoaks I checked are dropping and one big red in my yard has started to drop.

Attachments

• 20230922_170448.jpg
    20230922_170448.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 26

Andy S.

Walked under good many white oaks this weekend on two farms in SW TN, no acorns on the ground to speak of, green or brown. Did find a few red oaks dropping "a little", but no deer on them. I cracked a few open and they looked good. In my neck of the woods, fresh cut corn fields are drawing deer from all directions. I plan to scout a few other wooded areas this coming weekend. Generally speaking, I expect white oaks to start dropping in my area around October 10th. If I find a tree dropping earlier that first week of October, and the deer have found it, it is a guaranteed killing tree.

BSK

Walked under good many white oaks this weekend on two farms in SW TN, no acorns on the ground to speak of, green or brown. Did find a few red oaks dropping "a little", but no deer on them. I cracked a few open and they looked good. In my neck of the woods, fresh cut corn fields are drawing deer from all directions. I plan to scout a few other wooded areas this coming weekend. Generally speaking, I expect white oaks to start dropping in my area around October 10th. If I find a tree dropping earlier that first week of October, and the deer have found it, it is a guaranteed killing tree.
When I left my property the other day just at dusk, I had to drive along the big agricultural bottoms where corn is being harvested as fast as they can get it out of the fields. Amazing to see the number of deer out feeding in the cut sections just before total dark. Fields were full of deer.

ROVERBOY

I've got a couple of red oaks in the edge of my yard and they have really been dropping the last few days. I've been busy with work and other things lately but, need to get out in the woods and look around some.

Wrangler95

Yep,that is the problem!

Creek

I drove to town today, and I'm not sure what species of oaks they were, but here in the Dickson/Hickman County area, some spots on the road were really loaded. For those hunters who keep up with this, I couldn't help but wonder if this coming cold snap will cause many more to fall??

Latest posts