Deer not eating acorns?

deerhunter10

Our clover is getting wiped out. To the point where it's in bad shape all over again. Took a lot of work to save it from the freeze and they are practically dirt again. Acorns still getting hit here and there as said above it's tree to tree. If anyone figures it out I would love to know.

double browtine

I think there are so many acorns that the deer aren't moving around very much at all. The white oaks right beside my house and driveway have dropped thicker than I have ever seen them since I have lived here in 10 years. The ground is covered! I think the woods hunting this year during the rut is going to be great here in a couple weeks!

hammer33

Thanks for the ideas. I suspect they are hitting tender greens somewhere. On property 2. my food plots are practically wiped out. Exclusion cage shows they are eating daikon radish, wheat, and clover. I didn't think they would eat the radish tops until after frost but its 3x taller in the cage than out. The big white oak that gets a ton of traffic every year has acorns lying on the ground with little or no traffic on trail cam. The rest of the white oaks on that ridge have Zero acorns.
I let the field surrounding plots 1 & 2 grow up since July but will bush hog strips this weekend to knock down some of the dry woody tall stuff and give them access to tender greens underneath.

BSK

Thanks for the ideas. I suspect they are hitting tender greens somewhere. On property 2. my food plots are practically wiped out. Exclusion cage shows they are eating daikon radish, wheat, and clover. I didn't think they would eat the radish tops until after frost but its 3x taller in the cage than out. The big white oak that gets a ton of traffic every year has acorns lying on the ground with little or no traffic on trail cam. The rest of the white oaks on that ridge have Zero acorns.
I let the field surrounding plots 1 & 2 grow up since July but will bush hog strips this weekend to knock down some of the dry woody tall stuff and give them access to tender greens underneath.
I was surprised at how much deer will hit newly mowed areas, especially considering my local acorn crop. A couple weeks ago I mowed all our roads to make hunting access easier without having to wade through waist-high weeds. In a few places, I have cameras pointed across the roads to capture specific movement patterns. But instead of just movement on these roads, what I got was deer feeding up and down the roads as they browsed on the fresh growth after mowing.

Ski

I was surprised at how much deer will hit newly mowed areas, especially considering my local acorn crop. A couple weeks ago I mowed all our roads to make hunting access easier without having to wade through waist-high weeds. In a few places, I have cameras pointed across the roads to capture specific movement patterns. But instead of just movement on these roads, what I got was deer feeding up and down the roads as they browsed on the fresh growth after mowing.

They're still eating acorns. I've sat about 10 times since opener and have seen deer on acorns every sit, and already filled a buck tag on an old buck as he actively feeding on white oaks. But they don't feed but for 15min or so and then straight out to the hay field they go. But they don't stay out there. They green up for a few minutes then lay down to chew cud, and right back in to the acorns again. From what I can figure, they're likely not eating at remote oaks but rather the ones nearest wet greens. Takes a lot of fluids and fiber to digest a belly full of acorns. Most years it's all right there readily available. This year not so much.

@fulldraw

Late summer into early fall, you bet corn will draw deer. Once the acorns really start to fall (White oaks), not so much. I'm not saying corn won't draw ANY deer, just nowhere near what it draws August into early September.
BSK is right, when the acorns are abundant in fall they will be preferred over corn. My buddies that hunt over corn piles in KY are seeing deer avoid corn to eat acorns. Now that temps are dropping to 40s at night the deer are returning to the corn piles. Always been like that over the years.

GhillieBow

Just want to say as a new hunter I came here for threads like this. I'll never ask anyone for a literal hunting spot, but I love learning about deer behavior from people who been hunting for years. And getting advice from the hunters in my area as I give them updates on my first season. Stuff like this in invaluable and interesting as I put it all together when I get boots on ground.

philsanchez76

They're still eating acorns. I've sat about 10 times since opener and have seen deer on acorns every sit, and already filled a buck tag on an old buck as he actively feeding on white oaks. But they don't feed but for 15min or so and then straight out to the hay field they go. But they don't stay out there. They green up for a few minutes then lay down to chew cud, and right back in to the acorns again. From what I can figure, they're likely not eating at remote oaks but rather the ones nearest wet greens. Takes a lot of fluids and fiber to digest a belly full of acorns. Most years it's all right there readily available. This year not so much.
This is interesting. id say in line with what ive found scouting but ive just never put it into words like this. Well done SKi. ill find a lone oak way out there no where near a field and think, here we go, this is gonna be money. But little or no deer sign under it. Oaks that are still in cover but within 100 yards of the next field will have deer bedding impressions all over since they hang out so much there.

Madbowh

They are hitting the greens for moisture I think
I think your right on, I mainly only hunt public land and usually they are scarfing up every last bit of green right before its gone then I think they turn to acorns hard, I see them eating the craziest things, random green stuff, leaf here branch there, grass over there just picking and walking.

I have no doubt that if I killed one of the deer living in my clover plots, and checked stomach contents, 90% would be acorns. But they definitely appear to want variety, and the clover plots are about it right now, due to the local drought.

And by the way, I did not plant the below plot. All of that is volunteer clover from the years and years I've been planting clover in that plot in fall and then mowing down the seed heads in spring.
Do you have better luck with clover plots, or cereal grain plots as far as deer usage? Do you plant your clover in October when you do plant?

Ski

ill find a lone oak way out there no where near a field and think, here we go, this is gonna be money. But little or no deer sign under it. Oaks that are still in cover but within 100 yards of the next field will have deer bedding impressions all over since they hang out so much there.

I really think that's what's happening, or at least what is happening in my hunting spots. It's what I'm sitting on stand watching anyway.

I've got one spot that's a small island of big white oaks in the middle of cut corn. The edges are heavy thicket but inside is about 1/4 acre open shaded from the oaks. This time of year it's usually tore up with rubs and scrapes and loads of deer but this year it's vacant. Acorns are on the ground not being touched. I went deeper into the property and found them in the back edge of a 20yr fallow field where there are a couple big oaks on the line. The other side of the line is a neighbor's hay field. I just got done using snips to clear a path to the only tree in the thicket I can put a stand in. Gotta hunt where the deer are.

BSK

Do you have better luck with clover plots, or cereal grain plots as far as deer usage? Do you plant your clover in October when you do plant?
Normally, I plant my plots mid-August, and use a mixture of Buckwheat, Austrian Winter Peas, Crimson Clover and Wheat. The deer hit the plants in a very predictable pattern. First the Buckwheat until the first frost kills it, then the Austrian Winter Peas, then the clover, and last the cereal grain.

However, this year, because of the drought, I got nothing planted. I eventually just broadcast wheat and crimson a few weeks ago. But I had started plot prep at the normal time mid-August. I mowed and sprayed half of the plots in early to mid-August in preparation of tilling the ground (I planned on planting half the plots early and the other half mid-September to spread out the risk of crop failure). However, we never got enough rain to turn the ground in mid-August. That turned out to be a learning experience, because all of the crimson clover seed heads I had mowed down in late spring germinated once I mowed in August. The picture is of a plot that is pure volunteer clover. I planted none of that. It just came from all the seed that's built up on the surface of the ground from the spring blooms.

Snake

Everywhere I've been from West TN to Middle TN has a crazy acorn crop this year. I just think there's acorns everywhere so deer don't have to travel as much.

I think there are so many acorns that the deer aren't moving around very much at all. The white oaks right beside my house and driveway have dropped thicker than I have ever seen them since I have lived here in 10 years. The ground is covered! I think the woods hunting this year during the rut is going to be great here in a couple weeks!
This ^^^ it's a common fact if you have a bumper crop of acorns deer hunting is harder . They eat around you hunting them. They either eat where hunters are not or at night because they don't have to hunt the acorns they are everywhere.

BSK

This ^^^ it's a common fact if you have a bumper crop of acorns deer hunting is harder . They eat around you hunting them. They either eat where hunters are not or at night because they don't have to hunt the acorns they are everywhere.
Agreed. Makes hunting harder. Deer don't move as far or as often (acorns digest slowly) when we have a bumper crop.

BSK

Love hate relationship with acorns. Hunting harder, but much better for deer in the long run.
Exactly. Plus, in my case, the more acorns, the more deer I have to hunt (draws more deer to my hill-country hardwoods versus the neighboring bottomland ag). But again, a double-edged sword. My censuses show we have more deer in a bumper acorn year, but we see fewer of them because of the "acorn effect" (less movement).

Latest posts