Todays acorns

BSK

Violent storm knocked quite a few out of the trees in my neck of the woods. All still green, but mostly full-size.

CHRIS WILSON

Violent storm knocked quite a few out of the trees in my neck of the woods. All still green, but mostly full-size.
Got out yesterday to check and prep a few spots here in Wilson county. Found a couple of acorns on the ground that were knocked out of the trees by winds. A good portion of the oaks I view with the binoculars appeared to have a pretty good stash on them. It's looking to be a decent year for acorns.

Attachments

• 20230828_110317.jpg
    20230828_110317.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 21

TNTreeman

Got out yesterday to check and prep a few spots here in Wilson county. Found a couple of acorns on the ground that were knocked out of the trees by winds. A good portion of the oaks I view with the binoculars appeared to have a pretty good stash on them. It's looking to be a decent year for acorns.
Everything I've seen says you are correct. I think it was a good year for all mast producing trees. Great for the deer but can be hard to hunt them.

BSK

In my neck of the woods, looks like a bumper crop similar to 2021, which was an acorn crop from Hell. Like walking on ball bearings in the woods. Good for my place as it draws more deer to the property, but bad in that the deer don't have to move as much on a daily basis.

tellico4x4

Are they brown and yellow or still green and yellow? I ask because until they're brown and yellow, most that fall are blown out of the trees instead of falling naturally.
Brown & deer are on them. One of guys killed good velvet buck feeding on them Sunday afternoon. Earliest I can remember.

JCDEERMAN

In my neck of the woods, looks like a bumper crop similar to 2021, which was an acorn crop from Hell. Like walking on ball bearings in the woods. Good for my place as it draws more deer to the property, but bad in that the deer don't have to move as much on a daily basis.
Same thoughts. But I'll take those years over last year ALWAYS. I've found trying to capitalize during the cruising phase to be my best odds on years with a lot of acorns. They have plenty of energy and are moving about. At our place, 11/13 - 11/20 is money as long as temps are down

BSK

Same thoughts. But I'll take those years over last year ALWAYS. I've found trying to capitalize during the cruising phase to be my best odds on years with a lot of acorns. They have plenty of energy and are moving about. At our place, 11/13 - 11/20 is money as long as temps are down
This almost exactly. We have great success during that cruising phase during a bumper acorn crop, but for us, the cruising phase is a little earlier, say Nov. 1-9. Nov. 10-21 is when we see maximum breeding/chasing.

Latest posts