But I spend a lot of time in the woods
with work and hunting on many tracts over
several counties. And yes Very few rubs and
fewer scrapes, some of these tracts aren't hunted
so it's not pressure. Just seems everything
come be moved back 2 weeks even

What you say?

Mike Belt

It's hard for me to believe the beginning of rut might shift over a week from one year to the next but what you see during daylight might because of temperatures.

Mike Belt

Scrapes and rubs have a lot to do with genetics among other things. You'd think all deer in all places would have the same propensity for doing both but not so. I've seen places where the deer seemed bent on making them throughout their territory and others where they didn't seem interested in making any. The real puzzler is why there's sometimes such a dramatic difference in the same area from year to year.

mimitk

We're I hunt in roane cty their is probably 30 rubs and 1 big scrape already last year their was 1 or 2 rubs and no scrapes normally it is tore up I guess last year was just a weird year

PillsburyDoughboy

Mike Belt":3myw5nlk said:
Scrapes and rubs have a lot to do with genetics among other things. You'd think all deer in all places would have the same propensity for doing both but not so. I've seen places where the deer seemed bent on making them throughout their territory and others where they didn't seem interested in making any. The real puzzler is why there's sometimes such a dramatic difference in the same area from year to year.

My property was select cut last year Jan 2013. I would have thought It would have thrown the Bucks traditional scrapes and rub patterns all to heck. Pretty much had these bucks patterns on lockdown the past 17 years. NOPE. They pretty much kept the same patterns and made scrapes and rubs in the same areas and patterns.

lungpuncher1

landman":37tcrr6z said:
Going more on lack of scrapes and rubs
in these counties
But some are seeing chasing but it's small
bucks
It's the same time every year... Every single year. Sometimes you just see less action.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Os2 Outdoors

Negative negative. It's rite on schedule. Got a Couple hundred inches of antler killed today to prove it.

Pics & Stories tomorrow!

McCoy

Definitely late here too. Saw some young bucks, 4,6,and 8 pt, this evening running around together. 4 does within site, zero interest at all.

Fleet Fox

The breeding happens around my place the same time every year. If it's cold, I will see more older bucks during the day. If it's warm, I only see a few. They start making rubs and scrapes the first 2 weeks of November. The mature bucks are caught on camera and seen by me, during the day, between the 8th and the 17th. After that, the scrapes go dead and I might catch a mature buck tailing a doe or doe fawn that hasn't been bred, but it's rare. Normally bucks still run in small groups right up until that point. I will also witness groups of bucks and does feeding together during that time with no interest shown toward breeding, while 500 yards away 4 bucks will be chasing 1 doe around until she can barely stand. Fawn recruitment is the major tool in factoring it. Some bucks don't care to be involved, and some can't get it off their mind. In 7 years of watching it day-to-day, it has been the exact same. It's still not easy to kill the mature ones. I'm usually set up in one spot while they get their picture made in another. I hope the biggest difference this year is me only hunting this farm 3 times during bow season. I didn't want to pressure the does, so I can be more accurate with my guesses on where the bucks will be when it hits. Pressuring and spreading the does only spreads the bucks to have to find them.

PillsburyDoughboy

Fleet Fox":1ojdepni said:
The breeding happens around my place the same time every year. If it's cold, I will see more older bucks during the day. If it's warm, I only see a few. They start making rubs and scrapes the first 2 weeks of November. The mature bucks are caught on camera and seen by me, during the day, between the 8th and the 17th. After that, the scrapes go dead and I might catch a mature buck tailing a doe or doe fawn that hasn't been bred, but it's rare. Normally bucks still run in small groups right up until that point. I will also witness groups of bucks and does feeding together during that time with no interest shown toward breeding, while 500 yards away 4 bucks will be chasing 1 doe around until she can barely stand. Fawn recruitment is the major tool in factoring it. Some bucks don't care to be involved, and some can't get it off their mind. In 7 years of watching it day-to-day, it has been the exact same. It's still not easy to kill the mature ones. I'm usually set up in one spot while they get their picture made in another. I hope the biggest difference this year is me only hunting this farm 3 times during bow season. I didn't want to pressure the does, so I can be more accurate with my guesses on where the bucks will be when it hits. Pressuring and spreading the does only spreads the bucks to have to find them.

Very similar dates here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rooney

I'm seeing the same thing. Very few rubs and scrapes. Couldn't even find a scrape to put a camera on last Friday.

megalomaniac

The condition the does are in determines when they ovulate and come into estrus (in conjunction with the length of days). That then controlls the timing of breeding/ rut.

This year, with the amount of moisture/ forage/ additional croplands, I would suspect the deer to be in incredible shape going into the fall. And therefore the peak of the rut could be potentially shifted a few days earlier than average.

This past weekend, the 1.5 and 2.5 y/o bucks were on their feet pestering the heck out of the does. The does weren't ready, but the young bucks were still frisky (same as years past during juvie since it was moved to last weekend of October). The mature bucks were still nocturnal and moving very little.

Latest posts