Hunting knife????

MackPC

I usually just buy cheap knives. I always have a sharpener with me anyway. No matter what knife you get you'll always need to touch up the edge.

Stykbow

MackPC":1tb0stp2 said:
I usually just buy cheap knives. I always have a sharpener with me anyway. No matter what knife you get you'll always need to touch up the edge.
Very true, but the quality of the blade depends on how much "touching up" you have to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattt

Rat 3. Period. Carry one everyday, use it for work, game cleaning,screwdriver,prybar. None better. When my son deployed a few years back sent him one. Ended up sending a bunch for some marsoc guys. Best all around knife.ever.

lightsareout

I got a Kershaw Knockout, wow this is a good feeling knife; can't wait to break it in on its first deer.

I also have a Gerber Gator which I love (fixed blade takes up a lot of pack space).

John Harris

I suspect like several others on this list, I have a box full of knives. Some are purchases, many were gifts. Still, I keep going back to 2 or 3 for regular field dressing and butchering. My go to knife for several years was a Buck fixed blade knife with a 4" blade and a rubberized handle that I have had for perhaps 35 years. Still my preferred blade. 3 years ago I picked up a Mora (@ $14 dollars) with a bright orange handle when one of my hunting buddies was kidding me about using "cheap shanks" rather than the $175 - $400 knives he liked.

I field dress, skin and butcher with the same knife. That means I am cutting through the hide, the sternum and more. We do our own butchering. In addition, we have large dogs. So, part of my processing includes taking down the skeleton -- all of it for portioning for the dogs. So, I use the same knife to cut through the leg joints, rear hips, remove the ribs in groups of three and then portion the spine out in roughly 6-8 inch sections. The Mora handles that job and with a slight steel to dress the blade takes on multiple deer. For the price it has proven itself as a capable knife. Of course, its not the same metal or hardness in some of the more expensive knives I have... but it gets used more.

Coldfusion

Havalon Piranta PERIOD. Will always use a razor from now on its awesome.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bwales95

I'll second bark river. I have the gunny in A2, and it is an awesome knife. The buck is always in the pack as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 6,522

DMD

I tried the Havalon last year. AWESOME. I'll never go back to a regular knife. I normally skin and debone my deer in the woods and pack the meat out. The Havalon works great for this, as if it gets dull, I can just quickly change blades out. Great product.

PillsburyDoughboy

pastorbmp":1wpyl7vm said:
I tried the Havalon last year. AWESOME. I'll never go back to a regular knife. I normally skin and debone my deer in the woods and pack the meat out. The Havalon works great for this, as if it gets dull, I can just quickly change blades out. Great product.

I've been meaning to try one .

Coldfusion

PillsburyDoughboy":3v3v9u1w said:
pastorbmp":3v3v9u1w said:

I've been meaning to try one .

You won't regret it. They also come with several extra blades, so with that factored in they are actually pretty inexpensive. I bought one for my best friend because I love mine so much. I have the piranta. Just don't trust the pocket clip. My first one is somewhere on public hunting land. I now only use the sheath on my belt.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dylandylan563

I've really enjoyed my Buck Omni Hunter. For a $30 knife, it's held a great edge. I like the curved grip on it too. It handles well when skinning. I did, however, spray paint the handle blaze orange, after I had to search for it in a field with my flashlight.

TNReb

Ive found that a Buck Omni Hunter and a Havalon Piranta are all I need for field dressing and breakdown. A bone saw makes it easier also.

I like nicer knives, but am at the point I can't really justify spending the money on one. If I broke down several deer a year I would probably feel differently. For one or two deer, I've got what I need.

Latest posts