Quality steel straight knife

agelessssone

I'm looking to add a sheath knife to my EDC.
I'm a real stickler for sharpness so I want a knife that can attain a razor sharp edge and hold it.
I carry an Outdoor Edge folding knife (with replaceable razorblades) but it's not quickly accessible.
Suggestions??

FTG-05

Cold Steel SRK-C for $25 from MidwayUSA: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025877994?pid=695540

695540.jpg

mike243

Make a trip to Smoky mountain knife works, love that place, I could spend a day looking at all the choices lol. looking at stuff and taking others advice is ok but you won't never be 100% happy. Sharp Finger for a sheath carry.

Tenntrapper

I'm looking to add a sheath knife to my EDC.
I'm a real stickler for sharpness so I want a knife that can attain a razor sharp edge and hold it.
I carry an Outdoor Edge folding knife (with replaceable razorblades) but it's not quickly accessible.
Suggestions??
Do you have something in mind? Perhaps a certain style, length, etc? Different steels have different properties. A knife that "holds an edge" will also be harder to sharpen. A knife that's easy to sharpen won't really hold an edge long...not in use. Has to do with its wear resistance.

Tenntrapper

For example....here is the same Cold Steel knife as suggested above, but in CPM-3V.
(The one above is SK-5). Each steel will have its strengths and weaknesses. You have to decide what is more important for your application. For example, you fish a lot. Something with more corrosion resistance might be more important than something with enough toughness to baton through firewood.

agelessssone

Do you have something in mind? Perhaps a certain style, length, etc? Different steels have different properties. A knife that "holds an edge" will also be harder to sharpen. A knife that's easy to sharpen won't really hold an edge long...not in use. Has to do with its wear resistance.
I definitely know the difference in hardness=harder to sharpen, last longer.
I have kitchen knives that range from $29.99-$299.
I refuse to use a kitchen knife that is very sharp. The daughte and wife prefer the not so sharp ones.

Tenntrapper

I refuse to use a kitchen knife that is very sharp. The daughte and wife prefer the not so sharp ones.
There is more to it than hardness.
Give this a read through..it can explain a lot.

FTG-05

For example....here is the same Cold Steel knife as suggested above, but in CPM-3V.
(The one above is SK-5). Each steel will have its strengths and weaknesses. You have to decide what is more important for your application. For example, you fish a lot. Something with more corrosion resistance might be more important than something with enough toughness to baton through firewood.

That's the SRK, not the SRK-C linked above. Same knife (SRK-C) but in CPM-3V, about $10 cheaper than the full size SRK. Either one are excellent knives!

Lt.Dan

My kitchen knives are like razor blades too. Zwilling JA Henkles Twin Four Star II. Man these are great kitchen knives. Very pricey though.

Tenntrapper

I like the style of the SRK but not the color.
I would want something that doesn't stand out, hardly noticeable

Latest posts