Recommend a good field dressing knife

Remi

After seeing these posts I bought one today and the blades to use as a gut hook. Looks and seems to be the ticket.
View attachment 202220

They work great. If you skin your own, running them around the leg joints and unzipping the back with them saves your skinning blades as well

Between one of those and my Havalon I have some very nice knives that never leave the house.

The hook blades are the best thing for wild hogs we've found for working on them. I do the gutless method on them and that hook blade does all the cuts but the skinning and quartering.

Omega

My go-to is a cheap knife I found out in the woods, probably a $10 knife but I like the shape of it. It holds an edge through the entire process of at least two field dressings and quarterings. I also like the Shrade Old Timer, the one with a gut hook. I managed to break the tip of my US made one and replaced it only to find out it wasn't US made anymore, but don't notice any difference. I did just order a Buck Ulu though, the shape has always intrigued me and the link to the Gerber sale allowed me to try it out on the cheap.

Cheap Knife
XVbUcjU.jpg

Old Timer w/guthook
View attachment 201291

Gerber Ulu
View attachment 201290
Well, I got the opportunity to use it, and it does a great job skinning a deer, but I think it will stay in the case next time. While it did most of the work, when it came to removing the anus, it just would not rise to the challenge, had to get my Old Timer out and if I have to use the old timer or the cheap knife, might as well do everything with it. I would think this would be great to process the hide for tanning, but as a field dressing knife it just doesn't cut it.

rodeojoe

I need to get a knife with an orange handle.
Don't know how much time I have waisted looking for my knife after putting it down for a second to do something like repositioning the Deer or whatever I am cutting on in the woods!

wcw280

Get you an old case and a new case folding hunter. Learn to sharpen the new one and once you get good sharpen the old one and you will never look back. Mine is a 1940-64 and it's been in deer, hogs, moose, and elk all over the country. That old steel will hold an edge plenty long enough to cut up several deer, but learning to touch up on an extra fine stone will keep it razor sharp all the time. You treat It right and you will be handing it down to your grandson one day. Here's mine in Alaska doing what it was born to do atleast 60 years ago.
4474B088-CE4C-4E53-88C1-58D606BAF270.jpeg

jlanecr500

I've had a lot of knives over the years from high dollar to those replaceable blade ones. Knives are easily lost or forgotten in the leaves. A member gave me a nice one for helping with his ml. I haven't carried it yet as I'd hate to lose it so I use it when I bring the deer home to quarter.
I only gut 1 or 2 deer per year. The rest are field quartered with the gutless method. My go to knife is the Sharpfinger. I have them at home, in my truck and in my backpack. I carry one of those quick sharpeners. A few strokes on it and the Sharpfinger is ready to go. And it's orange too !

Kevin Snook

I currently carry a Buck 119. While it's sharp enough to cut you just by looking at it, it's a bit heavy and large, and my dad pointed out that the grip is a super slick smooth plastic, which probably won't be good when hands are wet.

I'd prefer a way to texture the grip on my buck, but what other knives are out there that come razor sharp and keep a good edge? (My sharpening skills are terrible, but I'm working on it)

Dad swears by Martini, but of the couple I've had, their edge is garbage after a use or two.

BT
I use several different knives for skinning and filet knives for processing but for gutting one I always come back to this old Gerber Gator
IMG_2165.jpeg

mike243

Got this free for joining Buckmaster back in the 90's best deer hunting knife I could ever want, i split the ribs all the way to the neck with ease. Rubber handles so not slippery a bit when wet.

Attachments

• IMG_8848.jpeg
    IMG_8848.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8847.jpeg
    IMG_8847.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 18

Laserman1

I've had a Gerber gator for 8 years. I can gut, skin, and quarter a deer with out ever sharpening the knife. I do sharpen between deer but it's always stayed sharpen enough to process 1deer. Just ordered an outdoor edge so curious to see how it stacks up.

Last edited:

mike243

I hit mine with the steel every 2-3 deer but it's still plenty sharp to do some more, holds a edge great, I debone with it also, a sharp filet knife works well but I don't have a good 1 at the moment after a fight with a big Redfish down at Gulfshores a few years ago

7mm08

I have had a Gerber gator folder for a long time. It has been my most used knife for gutting and skinning. Stays sharp and has a good feel.

I had a rite edge gut hook given to me that I have been using lately.
View attachment 201372
I bought a pack of 3 Gerber knives at Sam's not too long back, one got used on the deer I killed yesterday. I like a smaller knife inside the cavity.
Less chance of cutting yourself with a smaller blade I think