Recommend a good field dressing knife

Iglow

A common Barlow knife is probably the best, you don't need a big knife with a sharp point. The pen blade on a barlow is fairly blunt and short on most of them and is perfect for gutting without getting into the stomach and making a mess. The clip blade is long enough to cut the goozle so you can pull the whole works out.
I don't carry anything more than a regular pocket knife deer hunting anymore.

Last edited:

lafn96

Back when I had just gotten out of the Marines and my wife was expecting my first son, I contacted a guy here in TN named Ronnie Kephart to make matching knives for us. Loved the shape, and with the longer finger guard very safe when hands are slick from cleaning. Handle is made of Brazilian Ironwood, which is extremely tough and durable. When we were expecting our 2nd son, I couldn't find Ronnie Kepharts contact info to have the same knife made for my new son, so sent another knife maker a template and pics so he could match it. Had these two (I had to get another, right?) made out of S30V steel, handle the same Brazilian Ironwood. Pic below of the 2nd one made.

If anyone knows or has Ronnie Kephart's contact info, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could send it to me.
20231107_081050.jpg

This one is a Herter's from the 1930's, and also one of my favorites. My Grandfather got it when he was in his teens, no telling how much game it's cleaned. Great steel, handle and blade shape. Just used both of these for cleaning one this past weekend, so both need to be cleaned and sharpened.
20231107_082816.jpg

Black Titan

My go to knife. I quarter everything in the woods. A bit pricey, but wow! I've tried lots of knives and gadgets, this is the best for me.

How's the edge on that Benchmade? I've had two Benchmade folders, one is my EDC. They came sharp as a razor, but will NOT retain an edge for crap. My edc has a tanto blade with serrations at the bottom that are still sharp, but the rest of the blade will not sharpen.

BT

Wolverine72

How's the edge on that Benchmade? I've had two Benchmade folders, one is my EDC. They came sharp as a razor, but will NOT retain an edge for crap. My edc has a tanto blade with serrations at the bottom that are still sharp, but the rest of the blade will not sharpen.

BT
The edge has been great on this knife. It was used to quarter 8-9 deer (w light touch ups) before sending in to be resharpened. Did not really need it, but wanted a fresh sharp knife for the following season.
I have a benchmade bugout for edc that is pretty good. I also have the meatcrafter with orange handle. It's sharp but terrible for processing meat. Sent it in to be resharpened because I thought maybe did not get the best sharpen from factory. It's super sharp, but for some reason not great for processing.
I have another benchmade fixed blade that is as awesome as the hidden canyon, but I just prefer the smaller fit.

Tenntrapper

The edge has been great on this knife. It was used to quarter 8-9 deer (w light touch ups) before sending in to be resharpened. Did not really need it, but wanted a fresh sharp knife for the following season.
I have a benchmade bugout for edc that is pretty good. I also have the meatcrafter with orange handle. It's sharp but terrible for processing meat. Sent it in to be resharpened because I thought maybe did not get the best sharpen from factory. It's super sharp, but for some reason not great for processing.
I have another benchmade fixed blade that is as awesome as the hidden canyon, but I just prefer the smaller fit.
The Benchmade meatcrafter is a trailing edge/tip knife...it's great for slicing meat. Likely the most common knife type found in a butcher's hand. Also, pretty sure it's offered in a couple different steels...which one do you have?
Some of these steels are so hard/high wear resistance ,that sharpening is dang near impossible short of special equipment.

A207X2

I switched over to the disposable-blade knives. I have the Outdoor Edge RazorPro. Good, solid knive and I don't worry about sharpening blades anymore.
71mvA7L5wxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

SC Manimal

That's a nice collection you got! Good looking knives. There's alot of value there beyond the $ amount. That's what I'm hoping my new knife will become one day, for my son.

I plan to have the blade engraved for him. Genesis 27:3 on one side, and maybe Proverbs 1:8 on the other, unless I can find a verse more suiting from a father to a son.

BT
My daughter recites Proverbs 31:25 and son recites Joshua 1:9 before bed every night. You've inspired a Christmas gift, Thanks.

Wolverine72

The Benchmade meatcrafter is a trailing edge/tip knife...it's great for slicing meat. Likely the most common knife type found in a butcher's hand. Also, pretty sure it's offered in a couple different steels...which one do you have?
Some of these steels are so hard/high wear resistance ,that sharpening is dang near impossible short of special equipment.
I have the orange one. CPM something steel. Sent it back for sharpening after barely using it. It holds the edge great, it's just not good for processing as advertised. It does work well, but I have a victorinox and an awesome rada sportsman that work circles around the benchmade for processing. Both are FAR less expensive

Wolverine72

I have the orange one. CPM something steel. Sent it back for sharpening after barely using it. It holds the edge great, it's just not good for processing as advertised. It does work well, but I have a victorinox and an awesome rada sportsman that work circles around the benchmade for processing. Both are FAR less expensive
CPM 154

Tenntrapper

I was about to ask if it was 154. Cpm 154 is good steel...like you said...it's sharp.
I'm guessing it's the style of knife that's giving you issues...I wouldn't want a knife like that to gut/skin one. Now for dismemberment and processing.... absolutely. Generally, I want a smaller knife for skinning.
I'm going to use one this year that I got a few months ago. I'm sure I will be disappointed with the actual use, but I'm going to get blood on it...then put behind glass(after a good cleaning). Then I've got 2 more that need blood on them....come on gun season!!!!

This is the first one that needs blood on it. It may surprise me, but I think the shape will be a factor.
IMG_20230526_132306.jpg

Wolverine72

I was about to ask if it was 154. Cpm 154 is good steel...like you said...it's sharp.
I'm guessing it's the style of knife that's giving you issues...I wouldn't want a knife like that to gut/skin one. Now for dismemberment and processing.... absolutely. Generally, I want a smaller knife for skinning.
I'm going to use one this year that I got a few months ago. I'm sure I will be disappointed with the actual use, but I'm going to get blood on it...then put behind glass(after a good cleaning). Then I've got 2 more that need blood on them....come on gun season!!!!

This is the first one that needs blood on it. It may surprise me, but I think the shape will be a factor.View attachment 201967
Yeah, I do all my own processing of meat at home and for that the meatcrafter was not fun. If its all I had it would do. For years I used the set you buy at sams club (the white handled ones) and they work 10x better than the meatcrafter. I will say, although a bit big for a steak knife, it does cut a steak great. I woukd not dream of carrying it to the woods. The hidden canyon performs perfect for me in the woods.
That there knife you have is cool

Omega

For home processing I ordered this knife, and it is fantastic for final processing, it is very sharp and holds an edge. It was only $17.40 when I got it, though that same knife is now $34.69 on Amazon.

1699377935454.png

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Gravey

Ten bucks at waldo buy a hundred blades for five bucks and use it fir every thing and never have to ruin another knife trying to sharpen one😂View attachment 201394View attachment 201395

After seeing these posts I bought one today and the blades to use as a gut hook. Looks and seems to be the ticket.
IMG_5223.jpeg

Wolverine72

Friend of mine gifted me this rada sportsman a couple years ago. It's awesome and the one I find I use the most. If you buy their sharpener ($15) easiest knife to sharpen.
Don't let the price fool you. About $30. And USA made

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231108_214915_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20231108_214915_Google.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 22

Black Titan

I got my vanguard today. Beautiful knife. Will work perfectly for my plan to pass down to my son after hopefully many years of hunting and dressing deer with it.

Passes the shave test with ease lol.

BT

Attachments

• 20231108_224826.jpg
    20231108_224826.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231108_224832.jpg
    20231108_224832.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20231108_224843.jpg
    20231108_224843.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 33