Recommend a good field dressing knife

Black Titan

I currently carry a Buck 119. While it's sharp enough to cut you just by looking at it, it's a bit heavy and large, and my dad pointed out that the grip is a super slick smooth plastic, which probably won't be good when hands are wet.

I'd prefer a way to texture the grip on my buck, but what other knives are out there that come razor sharp and keep a good edge? (My sharpening skills are terrible, but I'm working on it)

Dad swears by Martini, but of the couple I've had, their edge is garbage after a use or two.

BT

Omega

I currently carry a Buck 119. While it's sharp enough to cut you just by looking at it, it's a bit heavy and large, and my dad pointed out that the grip is a super slick smooth plastic, which probably won't be good when hands are wet.

I'd prefer a way to texture the grip on my buck, but what other knives are out there that come razor sharp and keep a good edge? (My sharpening skills are terrible, but I'm working on it)

Dad swears by Martini, but of the couple I've had, their edge is garbage after a use or two.

BT
My go-to is a cheap knife I found out in the woods, probably a $10 knife but I like the shape of it. It holds an edge through the entire process of at least two field dressings and quarterings. I also like the Shrade Old Timer, the one with a gut hook. I managed to break the tip of my US made one and replaced it only to find out it wasn't US made anymore, but don't notice any difference. I did just order a Buck Ulu though, the shape has always intrigued me and the link to the Gerber sale allowed me to try it out on the cheap.

Cheap Knife
XVbUcjU.jpg

Old Timer w/guthook
1698944828145.png

Gerber Ulu
1698944628326.png

moondawg

I have an older version of this (Buck 673 or something like that). I loved it for an all purpose hunting knife. I especially liked the rubber handle.

My next choice would be any stainless steel Morakniv companion. Or this one.

Black Titan

My go-to is a cheap knife I found out in the woods, probably a $10 knife but I like the shape of it. It holds an edge through the entire process of at least two field dressings and quarterings. I also like the Shrade Old Timer, the one with a gut hook. I managed to break the tip of my US made one and replaced it only to find out it wasn't US made anymore, but don't notice any difference. I did just order a Buck Ulu though, the shape has always intrigued me and the link to the Gerber sale allowed me to try it out on the cheap.

Cheap Knife
XVbUcjU.jpg

Old Timer w/guthook
View attachment 201291

Gerber Ulu
View attachment 201290

That Ulu seems like it would take a bit of practice to learn to use it! Odd shape for sure.

BT

Black Titan

I have an older version of this (Buck 673 or something like that). I loved it for an all purpose hunting knife. I especially liked the rubber handle.

My next choice would be any stainless steel Morakniv companion. Or this one.

That buck looks good. Is the gut hook blade really that useful? Never used one.

BT

backyardtndeer

I have had a Gerber gator folder for a long time. It has been my most used knife for gutting and skinning. Stays sharp and has a good feel.

I had a rite edge gut hook given to me that I have been using lately.
20231102_190730_HDR.jpg

I bought a pack of 3 Gerber knives at Sam's not too long back, one got used on the deer I killed yesterday. I like a smaller knife inside the cavity.

Omega

This was recommended to me. Seems pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to use it.
Amazon product ASIN B09BDS1WYZ
That is a great knife for the style it is, I wrote a review a bit ago about them, it feels better than the Piranta IMO.

Crappieaddict

That is a great knife for the style it is, I wrote a review a bit ago about them, it feels better than the Piranta IMO.
Your review was the recommendation that I received! I knew I had read it on here, but my memory ain't what it used to be. So, thank you!

Omega

Your review was the recommendation that I received! I knew I had read it on here, but my memory ain't what it used to be. So, thank you!
Wasn't thinking it was my review, so thought I would give you more of a push :). Happy to help though. It's a very sharp blade that comes with them, but I do think the Piranta blades are sharper, but I like this handle better, and you save enough that getting original blades still doesn't put you above the price of the Piranta.

Moonman

I love the havalon with replaceable surgical blades. Personally I don't quarter but can get 2-3 deer with a blade. I'm not a surgeon per trade, but those things make my life easier. My dentist gives me a box of their gloves that are purple and I think having offsetting colors help tremendously when you get blood on them.

bowhunterfanatic

I have had a Gerber gator folder for a long time. It has been my most used knife for gutting and skinning. Stays sharp and has a good feel.

I had a rite edge gut hook given to me that I have been using lately.
View attachment 201372
I bought a pack of 3 Gerber knives at Sam's not too long back, one got used on the deer I killed yesterday. I like a smaller knife inside the cavity.
Gerber Gator with gut hook also my favorite. I've had one for quite some time and it just feels good in my hand. I also really like the replaceable blade outdoor edge knives

Latest posts