Recommend a good field dressing knife

Tenntrapper

I just use my regular hunting knife (avg 3.5-4" blade) to gut with. I don't split the sternum...just go elbow deep up in the ribcage to cut esophagus. I choke up on the blade to put my right index finger on the blade tip...so I know where it is. 40 years of gutting deer, never any issues....knock on wood... 😂
I do use a longer/thinner blade to cut around the anus, and up into the pelvis. Plus, using a second blade for that chore prevents contamination.

Longbow2240

Esee AGK or an Esee Izula. .
Honestly about any knife is a good field dressing blade. I have a cheap Walmart gift set mossy oak knife that I've skinned and dressed most of our deer with over the years. Sharp and holds an edge is the main thing.
IMG_8463.jpeg

Last edited:

Tenntrapper

Esee AGK or an Esee Izula. .
Honestly about any knife is a good field dressing blade. I have a cheap Walmart gift set mossy oak knife that I've skinned and dressed most of our deer with over the years. Sharp and holds an edge is the main thing.
View attachment 208935
Agreed. Just like it doesn't take a belted mag to kill one, it doesn't take a 2-300.00 blade to process one.
Enjoy the hunt and stop worrying about what "the best" is. Most any will work.

CliffordN

Outdoor edge razor lite edc. I have that and the piranta and find myself using the outdoor edge the most.
My OE blades are not nearly as sharp as the Havalons. But they can handle a side load much better. I end up using both, plus a saw to open up the brisket and pelvis bones. We rarely field dress deer, but carry an assortment of knives for when we do.

Yota

I have had a Gerber gator folder for a long time. It has been my most used knife for gutting and skinning. Stays sharp and has a good feel.

I had a rite edge gut hook given to me that I have been using lately.
View attachment 201372
I bought a pack of 3 Gerber knives at Sam's not too long back, one got used on the deer I killed yesterday. I like a smaller knife inside the cavity.
The old USA gators were good blades. Was sad to see them go Chinesium.

Maude

Got this free for joining Buckmaster back in the 90's best deer hunting knife I could ever want, i split the ribs all the way to the neck with ease. Rubber handles so not slippery a bit when wet.
I have this same knife and use it and the smaller one that came in the sheath almost every time in the field. They don't hold an edge like my better knives but you can sharpen them easily to a razor edge.

Latest posts