Hunting house wood preserving

Jeff43

I have a wood hunting house and I want to preserve the wood as long as I can.Do y'all think if I brushed on a mixture of burned oil and diesel if it would bother the deer and coyotes as far as the smell?

Attachments

• IMG_2377.jpeg
    IMG_2377.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 55

Big Pop

Probably wouldn't bother them especially after a while. Have you thought about singeing the would with one of these propane torches? That's supposed to protect wood for years.

bigtex

In my experience as long as the lumber is not in constant contact with the ground it will last for many. many years with no paint, preservative etc.
One of my shooting houses is made entirely from rough cut Pine and Poplar, I built it almost 20 years ago and it has no rot whatsoever and has no paint or preservative on it. It's probably 10' off the ground.
Those darn carpenter bees try to bore into it but I spray with a concentrated mix of Permetherin a couple times a year.

Omega

Go to Lowe's or Depot and get a clearance can of outdoor paint that has been marked down due to the wrong color.
I buy those all the time, any colors that won't look out of place outdoors. If I need more than a gallon, I'll mix same brand paint into one shade, works pretty good to protect my wooden stand, even did the fence at the house between me and the neighbor. I've saved hundreds over the years doing it like this and managed to get close to the shades I've wanted too.

TNlandowner

sounds crazy.... use blue outdoor paint..... wasps and carpenter bees will leave it along, it protects the wood, and deer will quickly get used to it and ignore it... we have a huge blue blind that someone built before I bought the farm in 2004. We've killed a lot of deer from this stand..... now if the flying squirrels and Asian beetles would stay out!

Latest posts