Hunting boots?

Dumbluck

I am trying to find the perfect boot for me. I have a pair of Danner and Irish Setter rubber boots, they are very comfortable. But my main complaints are the boots are too stiff. I'm looking for a warm boot that has a flexible soft sole. I like to be able to feel the ground with my foot when I walk. I have yet to find this in any hunting boot in the past that is warm. I typically end up wearing waterproof hiking shoes when the ground is wet so I can still hunt my way in and out. But of course my feet freeze when on stand. Does anyone have a pair of boots that might match this description and what are they?

TIA!

skipperbrown

Here is a suggestion, get a pair of uninsulated boots that you like and get a pair of arctic boot covers. Roll the covers up and attach to your backpack and put them on when you get to your stand. I put one in the other and roll them up tight. They don't take up much space. If it's really cold, throw a heat pack in the bottom of each. It's the only way I can keep my feet warm in freezing weather unless I'm wearing massive felt lined rubber boots.

Gravey

I've been using Muck Woody Max when cold but tried on a pair of Danner Pronghorn yesterday with 800 grams thinsulate. I've got the uninsulated version and love them but will need the wides if I buy these. Guess the insulation makes them tighter inside the boot. The boot blankets from Artic Shield are good to have too.

Methane

I've a couple pairs of leather hunting boots from Cabela's…one 400, one 800 gm. They are comfortable and warm. I just took the 800's for a week long hunt in MO. The first several days it was 75-80 degrees. No problem, a little warm those first few days. I wore thinner socks. Then the bottom dropped out and the temps were 30 with wind chills in the low 20's. Thicker socks and my feet did not get cold. I stayed in my stand for about 9 hrs each day

I've been using Muck Woody Max when cold but tried on a pair of Danner Pronghorn yesterday with 800 grams thinsulate. I've got the uninsulated version and love them but will need the wides if I buy these. Guess the insulation makes them tighter inside the boot. The boot blankets from Artic Shield are good to have too.
Do the woody maxs keep your feet pretty warm when it gets down into the teens?

TboneD

Here is a suggestion, get a pair of uninsulated boots that you like and get a pair of arctic boot covers. Roll the covers up and attach to your backpack and put them on when you get to your stand. I put one in the other and roll them up tight. They don't take up much space. If it's really cold, throw a heat pack in the bottom of each. It's the only way I can keep my feet warm in freezing weather unless I'm wearing massive felt lined rubber boots.
This.^^^

The best boots I've found in the past for feeling twigs or acorns under foot are the old uninsulated La Crosse knee high rubber boots or the classic leather top L.L.Beans. Or you could wear converse tennis shoes or Crocs, right? It's all a compromise. For instance, I typically won't wear anything with a really flexible, soft sole for the rocky ground we have around here. Also, I've found such soles to be uncomfortable for standing a lot on certain tree stands like my Lone Wolf.

Gravey

Do the woody maxs keep your feet pretty warm when it gets down into the teens?
By themselves no. I had on the woody max with alpaca socks and boot blankets last Saturday and Sunday when it was 20. They didn't stay nice and toasty but didn't freeze me out either although they were a little frigid but nothing that sent me home.

Gravey

What is y'all's set up when wearing the boot blankets? Just pair of wool sock and uninsulated hunting boots ?
I bought some alpaca wool socks this year. Wore a pair the other morning with uninsulated Danner Pronghorns and the boot blankets. It was low 20's and my feet were ok. Not toasty warm but didn't freeze out. Some people throw a hand warmer or body warmer inside but I've never done it.

backyardtndeer

Been very happy with my cabelas rubber boots. Pair in am currently using are 800 gram thinsulate scentfree rubber. Think I bought them in 2009. No idea if cabelas rubber boots now are as good as they were then. Have had a couple other pairs of their rubber boots and have bought my wife and kids cabelas rubber boots as well.

I don't know how good they are anymore, since badpro took over....

backyardtndeer

What is y'all's set up when wearing the boot blankets? Just pair of wool sock and uninsulated hunting boots ?
I just pull mine over my boots, cabelas 800 gram.
I have heard of some that take off their boots and use the blankets over their socks. I just can't do that for the potential foot odors that may end up blowing my hunt.

Madecost

I've been using the Arctic Pro and Kalkal hunting boots for a while now, and they've been fantastic. They're warm, comfortable, and have a flexible sole that allows you to feel the ground beneath you. Definitely worth considering!

Last edited:

Latest posts