How close to your killing tree?

deerhunter10

I don't run cameras but I stay out of the killing spot except to check the stands and to hunt a few times a year. i keep the pressure in those areas to an absolute minimum

backstraps

I wont hunt anywhere even close to a camera site. Your scent in and out checking cameras has already tipped your hand.

I wouldn't bother removing a camera prior to a hunt... if there is a reason you think you should....then that same reason would prevent me from hunting there at all... if that makes sense?

I try not to even be at a hunting tree until the day I am hunting it. The least amount of human intrusion where I hunt the better. I will only hunt a spot 4-5 times per entire season too, and then the conditions has to be correct before I hunt there.

Hollar Hunter

I generally don't have cameras around my stand. I don't want to leave anymore scent than necessary around the area I'm hunting. They might be within sight of a rifle stand (100+yds) if their over some scrapes that I'm trying to figure out who's using them.

turkeyhunter

dont use cameras near my hunting areas. Dont use them at all except for early season on salt licks. Maybe around edges or easy access points during season. I have read, research, and watched documented footage of bucks reactions to cameras. I forget the site I was on but it was very interesting. I dont want to leave anything in the woods for a mature buck to avoid.

BSK

fairchaser said:
How close to your stand do you place your camera? Do you remove it before the hunt? Why?

I have had cameras placed where you could see a stand in the picture. Doesn't seem to make any difference as long as serious scent precautions are taken when hunting and checking the camera, and the stand is not overhunted.

W.Seay

BSK said:
fairchaser said:
How close to your stand do you place your camera? Do you remove it before the hunt? Why?

I have had cameras placed where you could see a stand in the picture. Doesn't seem to make any difference as long as serious scent precautions are taken when hunting and checking the camera, and the stand is not overhunted.

X2

rem270

My stand is 15yds from my salt lick where i have my cam over. Never bothered a thing. But i slip in and out and dont stay there long when changing my card.

Rackseeker

The only time I run cameras near my stand locations is after season. Just to see what bucks made it thru the season. I have about 8 stand locations and don't go to them until I hunt. Every year about this time I run cameras in spots that I have never hunted just to see whats in those areas.

BHC

BSK said:
fairchaser said:

Same here I only check it when I hunt it mainly

BSK

What's this yearling buck looking at so intently? Me in my stand! He must have walked down the old skidder trail I used to access my stand (which is about 10 yards to the right of the picture frame) just moments after I did. I was still standing up in my stand, in the dark, getting all my gear together when I heard a deer walk up behind me. From my perspective in the stand, I heard the deer stop. I assumed the deer was staring right at me. As I stood motionless in the stand, it took a good 5 minutes before I heard the deer start moving again as it walked past me in the dark. After the hunt, I retrieved the pictures and sure enough, the little buck spent about 5 minutes standing stock still, staring at me, before he finally calmed down and moved on.

turkeyhunter

You might want to look this clip up on you tube, What you've been missing, Reality Deer Management Ex 8. Very interesting research and tips on trail cams. I would have posted video but im computer challenged. :)

Mike Belt

Sometimes I have a camera nearby, sometimes not. On the few occasions I have I keep trying to get a shot at a deer standing right in front of the camera to get pics of the deer's reaction to the shot on film. No go yet.

WRbowhunter

I'm not sure what the big deal is with placing a camera around your stand. If the scent was causing that big a problem you wouldn't get any photos.right?

RiverBuck10

W.Seay said:
BSK said:
fairchaser said:

X2

X3

BSK

turkeyhunter said:
You might want to look this clip up on you tube, What you've been missing, Reality Deer Management Ex 8. Very interesting research and tips on trail cams. I would have posted video but im computer challenged. :)

I disagree with much of their premise.

BSK

WRbowhunter said:
I'm not sure what the big deal is with placing a camera around your stand. If the scent was causing that big a problem you wouldn't get any photos.right?

More of a reduction in pictures, not a complete absence of them. In addition, some deer do not stop using an area because they encounter human scent. They just shift their activities in that area to the night-time hours. For a camera, that's not a problem. For a hunter, it is.

Latest posts