Hanging A Deer Overnight

Boll Weevil

Man that's right on the line. Any way you can shove some bags of ice in chest cavity and between the hams?

Right on the line and I'd really hate for things to go south for you.

Buzzard Breath

I'd hang him, but split open the muscles to the back hams so they dissipate some heat. Don't break the joint, just open those rear quarters up. It should be fine.

readonly

If you didn't recover him until morning the meat would still be fine, so not sure how gutting and hanging would cause it to not be fine. That said, I would quarter it and get it refrigerated. Leaving hanging overnight is certainly not going to help it any. And it will be covered with flies not long after sunnup. So you'd have to be up at the crack of dawn anyway.

bowtechgump

I am honestly curious about why people have forgotten basic math......I understand geometry and algebra....or trigonometry and physics...... but at some point in time you learned to wipe your butt. I may end up the @$$#0/3.....but it is honestly why people complain about how "wild game" tastes. The moment the animal dies(blood stops flowing) to the second it is "recovered/processed is critical. There is no "wild" game flavor, it's just a way of blaming someone else.

Last edited:

Latest posts