Hanging A Deer Overnight

deerhunter10

I am honestly curious about why people have forgotten basic math......I understand geometry and algebra....or trigonometry and physics...... but at some point in time you learned to wipe your butt. I may end up the @$$#0/3.....but it is honestly why people complain about how "wild game" tastes. The moment the animal dies(blood stops flowing) to the second it is "recovered/processed is critical. There is no "wild" game flavor, it's just a way of blaming someone else.
What the hell are you talking about.

megalomaniac

I am honestly curious about why people have forgotten basic math......I understand geometry and algebra....or trigonometry and physics...... but at some point in time you learned to wipe your butt. I may end up the @$$#0/3.....but it is honestly why people complain about how "wild game" tastes. The moment the animal dies(blood stops flowing) to the second it is "recovered/processed is critical. There is no "wild" game flavor, it's just a way of blaming someone else.
Agree completely.

Get the guts out and skin off asap. Once you are down to pure meat.quarters, it's incredibly forgiving as long as it's cool and in the shade.

Don't take care of the meat before final processing (including aging it), and it's so gamey and tough it will make you never want to eat it again.

Omega

Agree completely.

Get the guts out and skin off asap. Once you are down to pure meat.quarters, it's incredibly forgiving as long as it's cool and in the shade.

Don't take care of the meat before final processing (including aging it), and it's so gamey and tough it will make you never want to eat it again.
I would leave the hide on, just field dress and place 3 or 4 bags of ice in the cavity, the hide will help insulate the carcass. When I get a deer for friends and the processor is full, I'll leave it in the bed of my truck, stuffed with ice and covered with a tarp. For mine, I'll just quarter it and ice it down in a cooler.

mike243

If it's not in the 30's I am putting it in a cooler , safe food temps are 36-42, how long does everybody think it takes before meat starts to go south?

megalomaniac

If it's not in the 30's I am putting it in a cooler , safe food temps are 36-42, how long does everybody think it takes before meat starts to go south?
WAY longer than you would think. Clean skinned quarters are just fine in 65 deg temps for at least 3 days. Maybe longer, but that's how old I've eaten uncooled meat after a kill.

If less than 42 deg and clean, it's just fine dry aging for 10 days

mike243

Have seen to many deer shot at last light and found next morning and meat no good, where can I read about this pray tell? I like some written guide lines not word of mouth

mike243

I have read a lot and see stuff folks post without any scientific data to back it up, I err on the side of caution, been working on keeping food safe for the last 25 years for folks, you might get away with doing something 1 time but the odds are against you repeating it, that's why there are guide lines to help keep food safe. you can rot meat called dry aging, temp and humidy is controlled then the outer layers are cut off, the flavor isn't for every one .

Tn Joe

I'd much rather eat a deer that was field dressed and left hanging overnight in the 50s than a deer that someone shot before dark and waited to track and retrieve the next morning. Some many hunters think the meat will be fine because there's cold temps during the night.

mike243

Put a bag of ice in the chest cavity and will be fine
You reckon the deer will circulate that cold all through the hams and shoulders by being in the chest? another old wives tale lol it might save the loins and the ribs but wont do anything for the rest of the deer.

Tenntrapper

You reckon the deer will circulate that cold all through the hams and shoulders by being in the chest? another old wives tale lol it might save the loins and the ribs but wont do anything for the rest of the deer.
I'm with you on the safety aspect. I shot one a couple years ago...it was just before dark...and snowing. Just as I was walking towards it, a thick fog rolled in. I couldn't see anything. Needless to say, I didn't find the deer. Early next morning, walked straight to it. It was covered in snow.

Hung it and skinned it out. The meat had a greenish.. luminous look to it. Weather or not it was still good...I don't know. But I couldn't risk feeding that to my family. It was disposed of.

bowtechgump

Translation: I am saying that once the deer is dead and in your possession, you have to get it hung up, skin off and in the cooler/refrigerator ASAP. It needs to hang to get the blood out of the carcass. Laying it in a cooler or on ice what melts and collects blood in the water will lead to a "gamey" taste.