Fort Campbell 2018

buckslayer85

@fulldraw":1xjh3v1c said:
buckslayer85":1xjh3v1c said:
I got him yesterday in Area 3. He came by chasing a doe at 1245, after I had just stared dozing off. :party:

Congrats! Time to get your dad motivated.

Thanks!!! Lol. Yeah I been trying to get him to hunt with me, but he's getting soft in his old age.

old school

Well my son and I drove the 375 miles down to the fort as we do a couple times a year. got all the paper work done bought the permit hoping some one would sign out Friday afternoon . no such luck got us a room waiting till 8:00 to try for Saturday morning no luck getting in . though about hunting public land in Dover . but deiced to just go back home. but that's the chance we were willing to take . the sad part is I left my hunting boots in the hotel . LOL . I'll try again in two week's .

Racknquack

Do you think they will have areas open to civilians this weekend with the juvi hunt going on or shut it down like last year?

medwc

Racknquack":1y2921cy said:
Do you think they will have areas open to civilians this weekend with the juvi hunt going on or shut it down like last year?
Should know for sure by Thursday afternoon, lol. It really is a guessing game. They haven't said anything about shutting it down till the 29TH so there should be open areas this weekend. Just may not be many or it could be many. :? Hurry up and wait!!!

Oh, and the Kill Count is 408 as of about 1500 today.

That is all, carry on.

Racknquack

Lol your right, hurry up and wait and Thursday is the ticket. I was told at check station 137 kids so far, which is great I think

BULL MOOSE

Racknquack":cdohpdgo said:
Lol your right, hurry up and wait and Thursday is the ticket. I was told at check station 137 kids so far, which is great I think

That is a lot of youth. Can the areas even support that many?

408 kill count....what is the avg. annual kill?

medwc

Tn Joe":3hizjl15 said:
Congrats! Stop holding out on us, let's see that big stud :drool:

Big stud? I'm not sure what you mean Joe. We have never met and I ain't that kind of guy. lol, J/P

Someone has a big mouth(not you Joe) and won't be getting any more info from me.

OK, yeah, I tagged my buck. 157 lbs, aged at 5 1/2 years old or older by Fish and Wildlife, 13 points, HUGE neck, and barrel-chested. Hardest buck I ever had to find. Took me about 5 1/2 hours to find. I couldn't give up after I found a finger size piece of liver on the ground(see photo). That was deer #6 for me so LBL it is for the rest of the season. Good luck to everyone else still hunting the FORT.

Andy S.

Congrats medwc, that is a helluva buck to be very proud of. I love the fact he is 5.5+ and thick necked, as well as the antlers too. You don't even have to look at his teeth to come up with 5.5+. :tu:

Why was he so hard to find? Shot placement? Archery or firearm? Bullet type? Exit hole?

Tn Joe

Nobody told me you killed a buck just figured since it was November there was a good chance it was. I've read enough to know you have the deer figured out on post.

Congrats again on a stud of a buck

Racknquack

That's a great buck! That swelled neck makes him look like a tank! Old warrior.mind sharing if he was chasing or a little bit of the story. What area?

medwc

Thanks everyone.

Andy S.":2oi6khnd said:
Why was he so hard to find? Shot placement? Archery or firearm? Bullet type? Exit hole?
Everything, lol. I couldn't see or hear where he ran after 30 yards. He went about 350 yards and the last 100 or so was in a briar thicket(that sucked and took brush clippers to get thru parts of). A low and too far back shot(20 ga sabot slug that often punches right thru the deer)that barely nicked the liver. This caused the entry/exit holes to clog up after about 20 yards or so. So there were just small spots of blood to be found like every 50 feet or so. It was a wet and misty type morning. Everything was wet so that made the blood fade out a little and hard to spot. About 100 yards into his trip he took a hard 90-degree turn on me and it was in a spot he never bled. So I ended up thinking I lost blood and started searching for him by covering area by area. I found blood again during searching and realized what he did. I was by myself and really took my time. I am no expert tracker and normally don't have to track a deer. They go 50 yards and I see where they fall. lol...

Racknquack":2oi6khnd said:
mind sharing if he was chasing or a little bit of the story. What area?
Area 10 and he was checking scrapes. I had seen him in there before but never had a shot at him.

lightsareout":2oi6khnd said:
how wide?
I haven't measured him. He is not even wide. lol, I want to say the fish and wildlife guy said 14.75.

Racknquack

Did you shoot him Saturday morning and check him out around lunch? Saw a good one from that area and was just curious if it was you. Glad you found him. Thanks for sharing with us.

Latest posts