Fort campbell hunters

@fulldraw

They're slow rolling the civilian checkin by 2 hours to reserve hunting spots….
It's more than that. Now there are reservation times for all three categories the day before: 12pm-AD; 1pm-DAV/DOD; 2pm-civilians. If you're able to reserve a spot then you must checkin between 4am-8am the morning of. If you fail to check in, the spot is lost and available for anyone. Also, no more percentages which means all allocated spots could be reserved before civilian's time slot. Days where few areas are open could mean no civilians will get an area. Also, no guns until Nov. 5.

IMO, if you don't live close it may not be worth paying for a permit.

tree_ghost

It's more than that. Now there are reservation times for all three categories the day before: 12pm-AD; 1pm-DAV/DOD; 2pm-civilians. If you're able to reserve a spot then you must checkin between 4am-8am the morning of. If you fail to check in, the spot is lost and available for anyone. Also, no more percentages which means all allocated spots could be reserved before civilian's time slot. Days where few areas are open could mean no civilians will get an area. Also, no guns until Nov. 5.

IMO, if you don't live close it may not be worth paying for a permit.
Yeah I read all that. Gonna be interesting to see how many actual civilians get to hunt this year…

deerfever

People have no clue how hard it is to hunt Fort Campbell as a civilian, not complaining just being honest. The military should get first dibs in my opinion. Some believe buying the permit will allow them to hunt on base but the permit is the least of it. Looks like they went back to the way it was before they allocated numbers for each hunting designation. Not trying to discourage but just understand if your a civilian more days than not ( if you get any days) you will probably not be hunting. Especially if areas are limited , they will be gone before sign in. One thing I do like is at least now you will know at a decent hour the day before that you do not get to hunt or if you get lucky you can make plans and head that way!

Antler Daddy

The earlier check in times are a great improvement. Why not just keep the same slots, but open any unused Active slots to civilians at the the time Civs can check in? That would be fair and consistent.

@fulldraw

The earlier check in times are a great improvement. Why not just keep the same slots, but open any unused Active slots to civilians at the the time Civs can check in? That would be fair and consistent.
Fairness isn't what the Garrison Commander wants. They want and expect AD to have all the opportunities to hunt as possible. I'm ok with that. I just hate when the system gets abused and areas are held without hunting.

CrossVolle

Fairness isn't what the Garrison Commander wants. They want and expect AD to have all the opportunities to hunt as possible. I'm ok with that. I just hate when the system gets abused and areas are held without hunting.
This.

I have gotten curious and did drive bys of the desirable "full areas". Most of them not a truck anywhere to be seen. Just trying to keep people outta there. Not cool

Tn Joe

IMO the new system will increase opportunity for civilians. Probably not in the "good" areas or when areas are limited but overall there should be more available spots. It's my understanding there's always been lots of open spots for AD and DOD with the percentage system. The new system should free those spots up for civilians.

Antler Daddy

IMO the new system will increase opportunity for civilians. Probably not in the "good" areas or when areas are limited but overall there should be more available spots. It's my understanding there's always been lots of open spots for AD and DOD with the percentage system. The new system should free those spots up for civilians.
If a gal claims a spot and does not plan to go, she still might check in anyway. Then there are those that might only hunt early morning, then leave and just hold the spot all day with no intention of returning.

The system is still better than others like Ft. Knox where set up as a quota hunt weekend.

Regardless, the place is just overrated and tough to hunt. No scouting, no speeding, no cameras, no roaming, no touching, no concealed carry, no open carry, no bullets, no quartering, no helpers, no atvs, no bikes, no, no, no, etc. If you normally do it, you can forget about it at that place.

I struggle to pass that annual physical fitness test anyway. Ever since they added 30 more lbs. to the timed 50 yard sandbag drag, it has been tough. I mean dragging 140 lbs. of dead weight for 50 yards in 40 seconds or less without stopping is not easy. The truck-bed lift is even more difficult in my opinion. Not to mention the dang gear inspection and firearm serial number checks.

double browtine

If a gal claims a spot and does not plan to go, she still might check in anyway. Then there are those that might only hunt early morning, then leave and just hold the spot all day with no intention of returning.

The system is still better than others like Ft. Knox where set up as a quota hunt weekend.

Regardless, the place is just overrated and tough to hunt. No scouting, no speeding, no cameras, no roaming, no touching, no concealed carry, no open carry, no bullets, no quartering, no helpers, no atvs, no bikes, no, no, no, etc. If you normally do it, you can forget about it at that place.

I struggle to pass that annual physical fitness test anyway. Ever since they added 30 more lbs. to the timed 50 yard sandbag drag, it has been tough. I mean dragging 140 lbs. of dead weight for 50 yards in 40 seconds or less without stopping is not easy. The truck-bed lift is even more difficult in my opinion. Not to mention the dang gear inspection and firearm serial number checks.
That is crazy on the drag test! Looks like they would allow a deer cart at least.

JN

Are you serious? There is a physical test? It has been 20 years since I hunted there but didn't know they changed that much.

Omega

Ok, I don't hunt FTCKY, at least haven't for over a decade, but I have to ask, is that a thing? The fitness test, gear inspection etc., or was it just a little sarcasm to let us know how much of a PITA it is?

Antler Daddy

Ok, I don't hunt FTCKY, at least haven't for over a decade, but I have to ask, is that a thing? The fitness test, gear inspection etc., or was it just a little sarcasm to let us know how much of a PITA it is?
Yes, its real!

If you cant drag a 140 lb. carcass quickly, then you will not pass the test. If you cant load a buck into the pickup truck without your buddy, then you cant pass. There are no party hunts at this place.

Remember, you have to be checked out of an area an hour after sundown. You cant kill a deer an hour before sundown, dress it, drag it and get it out of area 52 Indian country in that amount of time unless you are combat ready. You cant go tracking a liver shot deer at 4 and then let it lay over night to come back in the morning because your area is closed, or you will no longer have access because you did not have a spot.

Yes, you must register your firearms. Yes, the federal warden will give your entire vehicle a gear inspection when he pulls up and checks your permit, etc. Yes, if you speed the military police will pull your hunting rights and then haul your self to the brig if doing more than 10 miles over the limit.

Yes, they set up roadblocks to check hunters and game at exits since covid shut down the checking station.

Last edited:

Latest posts