Fort campbell hunters

woodswise

The new process is a mimic of what has already been used at Ft. Knox which was actually the pilot program for the system. This could be better in a number of ways (in my opinion having used both) because at least you won't have to wait untill 8 pm the night before to find out you won't be hunting there tomorrow. There will probably be people that will game the system as usual to keep areas filled but if this eventually morphs to the Ft. Knox program they will go to quota hunts that could give civillians a better chance than we've had the last few seasons. The old days are gone, everything changes adapt, overcome, or leave is the way it is.

Omega

The new process is a mimic of what has already been used at Ft. Knox which was actually the pilot program for the system. This could be better in a number of ways (in my opinion having used both) because at least you won't have to wait until 8 pm the night before to find out you won't be hunting there tomorrow. There will probably be people that will game the system as usual to keep areas filled but if this eventually morphs to the Ft. Knox program they will go to quota hunts that could give civilians a better chance than we've had the last few seasons. The old days are gone, everything changes adapt, overcome, or leave is the way it is.
I was at Hunter Army Airfield, which is run by the folks out of Fort Stewart GA. They had the same phone in system but managed it much better, you would get a yearly permanent parking pass, so you didn't have to go in to any check station. It was great because there were instances while hunting in the back 40 of Ft Stewart when a tank would roll through the area in route to their area, or a unit would start maneuvering in an adjacent area nearby and ruin the area you were hunting in. You could go find a nearby phone (no cell phones then) and sign out and sign in to a new area without having to go back to the station for a new parking permit. I tried getting the FTCKY guys to go that route but they refused, saying it was problematic. MWR runs these programs, and they should be making it easier for troops to recreate, as that is their mandate, and give others a chance as well. I don't see any of these measures as accomplishing that in the best possible manner. But, I did decide to leave, as there was no way I could move that mountain, and am much happier for it.

Roost 1

This is definitely a step backwards… won't be much different than the old phone in system. The same guys that have always found a way to beat the system, have already figured it out. Hopefully with new technology it will be easier to catch these guys. They really don't want civilians hunting there. I'm glad I quit hunting there years ago. Too much hassle and the hunting isn't nearly as good as it once was.

timberjack86

Yes, its real!

If you cant drag a 140 lb. carcass quickly, then you will not pass the test. If you cant load a buck into the pickup truck without your buddy, then you cant pass. There are no party hunts at this place.

Remember, you have to be checked out of an area an hour after sundown. You cant kill a deer an hour before sundown, dress it, drag it and get it out of area 52 Indian country in that amount of time unless you are combat ready. You cant go tracking a liver shot deer at 4 and then let it lay over night to come back in the morning because your area is closed, or you will no longer have access because you did not have a spot.

Yes, you must register your firearms. Yes, the federal warden will give your entire vehicle a gear inspection when he pulls up and checks your permit, etc. Yes, if you speed the military police will pull your hunting rights and then haul your self to the brig if doing more than 10 miles over the limit.

Yes, they set up roadblocks to check hunters and game at exits since covid shut down the checking station.
I'm good, they can keep that! I feel for you guys that want to hunt there.

gobblesandgrunts

I have hunted the fort the last 3 years and all times were hot times to hunt. I never have had too much of a problem getting a spot. It may not be the top or 2nd area I wanted but I was in a tree with a buck tag. Also every time I have been I have seen some really good deer so I don't understand what people mean when they say it's not as good as it used to be etc. I also have a very good buddy who actually lives up there and served, I can't thank him enough or any of the other active duty or non active that have served our country, that actually helps me out on tips etc. I have had guys actually point me in the wrong direction because I'm not necessarily from there but I'm from middle tn. I 110% agree that military active and non should have priority, but why should civilians who want to hunt the area be treated differently when we have waited our turn in the pecking order? I really do appreciate every single thing the guys that help me and have helped me with the fort, you know who you are, because its tough going in blind up there. And I want it to be clear, I'm not starting an argument whatsoever. I really jusy want to know what the other party is thinking from the discouraging other hunters to come, hard to get an area etc. Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts