Fort Campbell 2018

medwc

@fulldraw":rdn4putf said:
Did you see the area list? :bash:

Nope, I will be hunting LBL for the rest of the month(except for the next quota hunt and any heavy rain days).
I haven't even been to LBL since 7 Nov. Had bronchitis that just started clearing up today. I really wanted to hunt. The weather has been great for hunting but I ain't going with bronchitis. lol, those "go out in the woods no-matter-what days" are over for me. Anyways...

medwc

@fulldraw":1ixmea8h said:
Just figured you would enjoy seeing the areas open for quail. Lol

Hope you get well soon.
Oh, I just checked and I guess getting your buck early has one advantage - not dealing with the Quail Pinkos. lol, what a BBS(bunch of bull shat)!!! I won't even go there. Anyone here a member of the Clarksville/Fort Cambell Quail hunters club? Well if there is then kiss my :moon: !!!

SMH... and I have nothing against just plain old quail hunters. Fort Campbell has a "special group" that does what it wants regarding the Fort quail hunting.

BULL MOOSE

I want to thank Rakkin 6! He was very helpful helping my son and I with area 4 on the juvenile hunt and area 27 with my daughter this weekend.

My son and I had an oppurtunity on a BIG buck with a doe but he could not find him in the scope. The buck stood facing us at 80 yards for what seemed like 5 minutes. When he moved away, we decided to go after him and began stalking to the area where we last saw him. This smaller buck stepped out at 45 yards and my son dropped him. When we walked up to him, the BIG buck and doe bounced off just 30 yards past him. His buck was a dressed 101.3lb 2.5 age typical 8 with a broken brow scoring a 7. Smaller than last years 3.5, but a bird in hand...meat on the table and some great memories!

We also want to thank TWRA for setting up the juvenile hunt. The officers go out of thier way for this to be a good hunt and even cook hamburgers and hot dogs for lunch. I drove 9 hours round trip this year just to get my kids name on the list. I had to flip a coin to decide which child's name would get on the list. Momma is willing to hunt with a kid once a year, but not to drive round trip to get triplets on the list!

My daughter and I saw 3 different small bucks in the woods this weekend. We also saw two shooters...one standing in the field as we pulled in to our spot 30 minutes late in the morning. We saw the other BIG one at 2:30 Pm standing on the impact area side and he had just come out of the same drainage that we hunted in the morning. From 340 yards, we watched him for 3 minutes and then he decided to continue into the impact area.

The thing about the fort is that every area has good bucks and thick cover is all over the place. It is also cool for the kids to see the army trucks pass by and listen to automatic gun fire and explosions. My daughter enjoyed seeing the target tanks out in the fields. During two weekends, we also found both fresh and ancient army barbed wire (they leave a lot), old ammo bunkers, empty plastic machine gun ammo box, a big empty mortar flare casing, some spent shells, and saw several flare parachutes in the trees. We don't spend a lot of time at the checking station, but it is fun to see bucks scoring between 130-150 and keeps the kids motivated.

I logged on this Friday night in GA and somehow found every area open....quickly randomly picked an area and then printed it. I asked which kid wanted to go, commandeered my wife's suv and we checked into the hotel at mid nite. Saturday, I tried to get a spot and the system was super slow....hardly anything left when I got in...I chose 33 then go to check out and nada....I just don't get it. We stuck our tale between our legs and started driving home, just before exit 24, my daughter struck gold with ole area 50, and we turned around and went back. It was a chance....22 miles from the check station and not the best area, but an area. We saw and heard a bunch of turkeys but no deer. We will head back again next year. I sure wish a person could see what areas are open without checking out of the one you get! If so, I might buy a printer for the vehicle.

Attachments

• F952B62D-E699-4431-9FD4-C78BA14CDF58.jpeg
    F952B62D-E699-4431-9FD4-C78BA14CDF58.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,090
  • 75167856-737E-41F7-BB66-48E2931FF457.jpeg
    75167856-737E-41F7-BB66-48E2931FF457.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 2,089

medwc

Kill count was 725 at 1045 this morning.

My 21 cu. ft. freezer is FULL.

That is all.

lightsareout

medwc":utkuxujc said:
Kill count was 725 at 1045 this morning.

My 21 cu. ft. freezer is FULL.

That is all.

Good thing you got filled up before the shut down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medwc

lightsareout":27wvox4d said:
Good thing you got filled up before the shut down

Well, I didn't really need another one but there was still open areas that morning. I had the itch so I went. I will use it. I already donated 2. I eat deer 4 or 5 days out of the week(roasts, burgers, steaks, summer and breakfast sausage, baloney, and jerky). I normally end up giving 1/3 of what I have to friends, neighbors and sometimes just hear of someone that wants some or needs help. I will start running out around the end of July but stretch out the last bit till next season starts. I was really surprised how many open slots there was with the closure coming.

medwc

Is anyone still hunting the Fort(I am NOT)? Just an FYI, lots of good areas open this coming weekend! 31 has not been open all year.

Rakkin6

I was in 31 didn't see anything until about 4:15 and they (4 does) were about 200 yards off in a field. I was probably about 100 yards inside the woods on the field edge. I only heard about 3 shots all day long. Kind of expected a little more since 31 has not seen much pressure this year. But I will be back out tomorrow for an afternoon hunt. Best of luck to you guys stay safe and Merry Christmas.

Latest posts