Fort Campbell 2016

brw42

whiskey":3ghcaf3r said:
brw42":3ghcaf3r said:
@fulldraw":3ghcaf3r said:
brw42 said:
Shamefully, we cannot make the appropriate action to facilitate additional doe harvest by opening doe only areas. Wish we could, but we are not 100% in charge of all aspects of the system.

Under current regulations we cannot have "doe only" areas. I've tried for 3 years. Next year, we will be able to.

No doe quotas have been met, anywhere. "Certain aspects of quota" refers to male juveniles and legal antlered bucks.

Again, the small game areas being rotated are not affecting area availability for deer hunters. These areas are no longer up for deer hunting opportunity this season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

How was it that last year some areas opened to doe only toward the end of season? Also, you avoided several questions and that's fine but why aren't quota information and explanations provided to hunters? If there is a true management plan then this should be available for all hunters to read and understand.
No areas were doe only last year. That has never been implemented.

As far as quota hunts in the cantonment area, I personally have no involvement other than conducting surveys to provide recommended harvests.

I see a lot of commentary comparing and relating hunting to depredation action. Understand, these are nowhere near the same. The topic here is deer hunting on Fort Campbell as a management action to produce healthier deer populations for current and future users, not management action to reduce animal/human conflict.

Well it felt a lot more like it was on the up and up when Officer Godwin and Officer Curtis were the ones shooting doe near the housing areas, not hand picked biologist buddies shooting who knows what over bait piles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deer removal is in a lot of people's job descriptions on FTC, including wildlife law enforcement and biologists. The act is needed on many instances and without it (which has been the case at times) many negative things can happen.

Roost 1

I'd say....

Attachments

• IMG_5361.JPG
    IMG_5361.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,243

@fulldraw

brw42":4d49du9t said:
@fulldraw":4d49du9t said:
brw42":4d49du9t said:
Shamefully, we cannot make the appropriate action to facilitate additional doe harvest by opening doe only areas. Wish we could, but we are not 100% in charge of all aspects of the system.

Under current regulations we cannot have "doe only" areas. I've tried for 3 years. Next year, we will be able to.

No doe quotas have been met, anywhere. "Certain aspects of quota" refers to male juveniles and legal antlered bucks.

Again, the small game areas being rotated are not affecting area availability for deer hunters. These areas are no longer up for deer hunting opportunity this season.

How was it that last year some areas opened to doe only toward the end of season? Also, you avoided several questions and that's fine but why aren't quota information and explanations provided to hunters? If there is a true management plan then this should be available for all hunters to read and understand.
No areas were doe only last year. That has never been implemented on Fort Campbell.

I see a lot of commentary comparing and relating hunting to depredation action. Understand, these are nowhere near the same. The topic here is deer hunting on Fort Campbell as a management action to produce healthier deer populations for current and future users, not management action to reduce animal/human conflict.

Actually there were areas open to doe only. I know ab03 was along with a few others. If i had access to the posted areas from last year i could prove it. I'm not the only one that remembers areas open to doe only.

brw42

I've opened all areas since 2014. If it was since 2014, no they haven't. I've tried to my fullest.

NBF7240

What's frustrating is folks getting areas and not hunting. I know a lot of deer hunters complain about quail hunters / small game taking up the areas. In return quail hunters/small game hunters say deer hunters have been hunting since September. From my observations and others observations. People sign in and never hunt early deer season. Is there any plan in the future to remedy the problem of people holding areas and not hunting?

@fulldraw

brw42":1up2ubmi said:
I've opened all areas since 2014. If it was since 2014, no they haven't. I've tried to my fullest.

Wrong! There were doe only areas last year.

whiskey

brw42":2zjhn0vz said:

There were areas last year that were marked doe only. Fulldraw and I can't be the only ones that remember that from last December! I don't remember what areas but I remember seeing it and thinking "Finally!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slickwillie

brw42":2lpft9mi said:
@fulldraw":2lpft9mi said:
brw42":2lpft9mi said:

Depredation action or hunting, deer heads at taxidermist with FTCKY depredation tags and the same guys name, all bow kills. You tell me? Is depredation action taken with bow and arrow? Seems like the lies are mounting but yet it's still the "publics" fault that we don't understand the management plan. There is no plan.

medwc

I remember area 17 being does only for a few days last year but I could never get in it. I also remember seeing a buck photo posted on facebook that was quickly removed once it was questioned as a depredation kill on main post. Hmmm....

buckslayer85

medwc":3pwrdtcr said:
I remember area 17 being does only for a few days last year but I could never get in it. I also remember seeing a buck photo posted on facebook that was quickly removed once it was questioned as a depredation kill on main post. Hmmm....

I also remember trying to get 17 for doe only. There was several other areas that were doe only. There's been a few pics going around the last year and a half from deer that were killed by the "special crowd."

brw42

NBF7240":3ft6ra9v said:
How can you be a biologist and not know that there were doe only areas in the past?
Under current regulations, we are not authorized to open doe only areas. Next year, we will. No training areas have been released by FCFW as doe only in the past 3 years. Now, there have been areas that unlimited doe harvest was allowed. Harvested does in those areas did not count towards a hunter's season limit of 2, but buck harvest was still legal in those areas any time they were open. These areas were listed in past CAM regs.

brw42

Basically, there is no enforcement. There has been doe only listed on the area lists before, but they were legally not "doe only". That is our current issue now.

brw42

We have to get it listed in the regulation before we can actually have "doe only".

brw42

Next year there will be a system method where a hunter can select an option to hunt in an area where only does can be harvested and their be actual regulation on animals harvested in these areas.

brw42

Hope this helps clear some stuff. You guys must understand that managing hunting on FTC is a little more complex than management of other federal properties. If anyone would like to have a conversation about any management, past management, and future management of any game on FTC then call my office and leave me a message. I'm here to help in any way possible.

270-798-9855

I'd rather not continue a back and forth online anymore.

Also feel free to private message me if you would like to swap additional contact information.

Roost 1

brw42":3746z84g said:
Basically, there is no enforcement. There has been doe only listed on the area lists before, but they were legally not "doe only". That is our current issue now.

So, if you are the only one posting hunting areas since 2014, who illegally listed them as "doe only." And why all the posts denying it ever happened until now, that someone has researched and found the facts that areas were indeed open as doe only? Situations such as these is why you have a disconnect with the public. A guy once once told my an old saying, "Reasonable people, equally informed, seldom disagree" the problem here as with most situations is not that we are not reasonable people, but we are not equally informed. Once again, I thank you for your efforts to manage wildlife on the fort, but I do believe some transparency issues and trust needs to worked on for it to ever be successful. Hunter satisfaction should be a very high priority in my opinion since we are the ones buying permits which allows management funds to carry out initiatives and reach goals.

Grouseman

I, for one, hate that the thread has been taken away from the public eye. It was (is) very informative and I learned a lot about Fort Campbell by reading through it. And isn't that one of the chief complaints? Lack of communication? You were definitely communicating in this thread.

Latest posts