Fort Campbell 2016

brw42

Roost 1":iza5n0td said:
brw42":iza5n0td said:
The buck harvest is right on track with historical harvest and quotas set, and the quality of bucks (size and age) are better than past 2 decades.

Hunters have avoided harvesting does, for the most part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What exactly do you mean by buck quotas?
There is a predetermined season allowance for buck harvest on Fort Campbell (quota) that is based on a 30% or less harvest rate. Buck harvest in certain TAs are monitored weekly, and buck harvest base-wide is also monitored.

Roost 1

Have any areas reached their quota? What is the quota for the whole base? Seems this would be hard to determine since these bucks travel from area to area, in and out of impacts, etc on a very regular basis...maybe I didn't completely understand your previous answer about 30% harvest. Forgive me if I didn't. Just seems it would hard to determine a certain figure considering the above listed factors. Thanks for your reply.

brw42

Roost 1":z87o7rv3 said:
Have any areas reached their quota? What is the quota for the whole base? Seems this would be hard to determine since these bucks travel from area to area, in and out of impacts, etc on a very regular basis...maybe I didn't completely understand your previous answer about 30% harvest. Forgive me if I didn't. Just seems it would hard to determine a certain figure considering the above listed factors. Thanks for your reply.
Like all wildlife management, managing a mobile animal is difficult. Quotas are fixed on FC based on preseason survey data. Interior areas are held to their quotas. Areas that are adjacent to off limit areas and other areas that we rarely hunt are not as stictly monitored.

Buck quotas and expected harvest generally fall around 400 per year.

@fulldraw

Think I'm going to go woodcock hunting. Who wants to join me? Lol

Who the he!! hunts woodcocks? Especially during deer season. What a joke. I'm afraid hunting on FC will never be the same.

brw42

@fulldraw":2h43rjyy said:

Who the he!! hunts woodcocks? Especially during deer season. What a joke. I'm afraid hunting on FC will never be the same.
When we have requests for additional seasons by soldiers and other hunters here, we will try to accommodate the best we can. Sorry if this inconveniences certain groups of hunters.

brw42

Additionally, the areas being rotated to small game hunters (limited at best) are mostly the areas that some aspects of deer harvest quotas have been met.

NBF7240

brw42":1ncqstki said:
@fulldraw":1ncqstki said:

When we have requests for additional seasons by soldiers and other hunters here, we will try to accommodate the best we can. Sorry if this inconveniences certain groups of hunters.

When does woodcock season close?

brw42

NBF7240":ytao7gqe said:
brw42":ytao7gqe said:
@fulldraw":ytao7gqe said:

When does woodcock season close?
Jan 15 on FTC.

Roost 1

So, should we assume the buck harvest quota has been met in TA-41? It would be nice to know what these quota limits are per area. Especially areas that join impact areas. Per an earlier reply I would of thought 41 would be one of those areas "not strictly monitored".

brw42

Roost 1":m50p6vzs said:
So, should we assume the buck harvest quota has been met in TA-41? It would be nice to know what these quota limits are per area. Especially areas that join impact areas. Per an earlier reply I would of thought 41 would be one of those areas "not strictly monitored".
41 quota was allowed double. That was met with reopening this past weekend to bow hunters. Hopefully next year these quotas will be more transparent, but with current systems and disconnect between management and public a lot of the management aspect is not understood. Past response was to allow excessive deer harvest in response to demand for more and more deer hunting, hence why we were forced to deal with population issues beginning in 2014.

@fulldraw

brw42":19x338th said:
@fulldraw":19x338th said:

Inconvenience other hunters? So you're willing to accommodate a very small group of hunters but ignore the majority? By that i mean ya'll keep saying we deer hunters need to harvest more does. Requests for doe only areas have been brought to your attention. Why not accommodate these hunters since your top management priority is deer quality? I guess since the "privileged few" are most likely done deer hunting deer management goes out the window.

Additionally, the areas being rotated to small game hunters (limited at best) are mostly the areas that some aspects of deer harvest quotas have been met.

So now it's deer harvest quotas? So you're saying there is a doe quota too and it has been met? How's that possible from what you said earlier (see below). Why won't ya'll post the quotas and explain how you determine them. Seems to me educating your hunters might benefit decisions you make later. Also, does the kills from the "privileged few" that kill in the areas when they are closed count toward these quotas. Seems to me the natural resource is being used for personal gain to a select few and not all hunters. You stated that quality of bucks (size and age) are better than the past two decades. How can you say that as a biologist when the past decade hasn't had anyone aging deer to determine this? Personally, no one has aged any deer I've killed since your attempt began a couple years ago.

The buck harvest is right on track with historical harvest and quotas set, and the quality of bucks (size and age) are better than past 2 decades.

brw42

Roost 1":2c5siz20 said:
So can areas not be open for antler-less deer hunting only?
Unfortunately, we cannot under current regulations. Next year, yes, and that will help a lot.

brw42

@fulldraw":6uvc71q1 said:
brw42":6uvc71q1 said:
@fulldraw":6uvc71q1 said:

Inconvenience other hunters? So you're willing to accommodate a very small group of hunters but ignore the majority? By that i mean ya'll keep saying we deer hunters need to harvest more does. Requests for doe only areas have been brought to your attention. Why not accommodate these hunters since your top management priority is deer quality? I guess since the "privileged few" are most likely done deer hunting deer management goes out the window.

So now it's deer harvest quotas? So you're saying there is a doe quota too and it has been met? How's that possible from what you said earlier (see below). Why won't ya'll post the quotas and explain how you determine them. Seems to me educating your hunters might benefit decisions you make later. Also, does the kills from the "privileged few" that kill in the areas when they are closed count toward these quotas. Seems to me the natural resource is being used for personal gain to a select few and not all hunters. You stated that quality of bucks (size and age) are better than the past two decades. How can you say that as a biologist when the past decade hasn't had anyone aging deer to determine this? Personally, no one has aged any deer I've killed since your attempt began a couple years ago.

Shamefully, we cannot make the appropriate action to facilitate additional doe harvest by opening doe only areas. Wish we could, but we are not 100% in charge of all aspects of the system.

Under current regulations we cannot have "doe only" areas. I've tried for 3 years. Next year, we will be able to.

No doe quotas have been met, anywhere. "Certain aspects of quota" refers to male juveniles and legal antlered bucks.

Again, the small game areas being rotated are not affecting area availability for deer hunters. These areas are no longer up for deer hunting opportunity this season.

slickwillie

The dis-connect between management and public(hunters, I assume is who you refer too, is most likely due to the non-transparency of the management plan. When has this plan been explained to anyone? I've seen and heard guys ask on many occasions about the buck quotas and never an answer given. Are these quotas enforced in contonement areas where the biologists and a hand-picked select few others hunt? Using funds from permit sales to buy corn, cameras, and stands to hunt deer for personal gain. Guys killing multiple bucks in these areas and tagging them with depredation tags?? I'd say there is some personnel gain here! Guys hunting areas that are not open on certain days of the week. Ridiculous. Yeah there most definitely is a dis-connect between management and public. Contonement area hunts used to be for AD only, antlerless only, bow only funny how this is all changed and the bad part is is how the AD guys are deceived and lied to, out of greed.
I won't even get started on the turkey depredation hunts over bait in off-limits areas and then plastered all over Facebook and then try to enter into record books. Guess this is all looks good to sponsors and guys on pro-staff or wanna be pro-staffers. Tell us again about this management plan and these harvest quotas. I'm sure this is managements way to get earn a buck back which is most ridiculous idea considering all the off limits areas and non-hunting areas. But seems like I recall all
that is taken into consideration with the camera surveys which are nothing more than a way to use cameras to get pics and know where the big bucks are and then shared amongst that tight group of good ol' boys so they know where to hunt. Personal gain under the title of management. I wish all the woodcock hunters luck.

@fulldraw

brw42":3fz0xzbh said:
Shamefully, we cannot make the appropriate action to facilitate additional doe harvest by opening doe only areas. Wish we could, but we are not 100% in charge of all aspects of the system.

Under current regulations we cannot have "doe only" areas. I've tried for 3 years. Next year, we will be able to.

No doe quotas have been met, anywhere. "Certain aspects of quota" refers to male juveniles and legal antlered bucks.

Again, the small game areas being rotated are not affecting area availability for deer hunters. These areas are no longer up for deer hunting opportunity this season.

How was it that last year some areas opened to doe only toward the end of season? Also, you avoided several questions and that's fine but why aren't quota information and explanations provided to hunters? If there is a true management plan then this should be available for all hunters to read and understand.

whiskey

slickwillie":106doqg6 said:
The dis-connect between management and public(hunters, I assume is who you refer too, is most likely due to the non-transparency of the management plan. When has this plan been explained to anyone? I've seen and heard guys ask on many occasions about the buck quotas and never an answer given. Are these quotas enforced in contonement areas where the biologists and a hand-picked select few others hunt? Using funds from permit sales to buy corn, cameras, and stands to hunt deer for personal gain. Guys killing multiple bucks in these areas and tagging them with depredation tags?? I'd say there is some personnel gain here! Guys hunting areas that are not open on certain days of the week. Ridiculous. Yeah there most definitely is a dis-connect between management and public. Contonement area hunts used to be for AD only, antlerless only, bow only funny how this is all changed and the bad part is is how the AD guys are deceived and lied to, out of greed.
I won't even get started on the turkey depredation hunts over bait in off-limits areas and then plastered all over Facebook and then try to enter into record books. Guess this is all looks good to sponsors and guys on pro-staff or wanna be pro-staffers. Tell us again about this management plan and these harvest quotas. I'm sure this is managements way to get earn a buck back which is most ridiculous idea considering all the off limits areas and non-hunting areas. But seems like I recall all
that is taken into consideration with the camera surveys which are nothing more than a way to use cameras to get pics and know where the big bucks are and then shared amongst that tight group of good ol' boys so they know where to hunt. Personal gain under the title of management. I wish all the woodcock hunters luck.

Drops mic!

Spot on dude! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brw42

@fulldraw":wz4wfg4k said:
brw42":wz4wfg4k said:

How was it that last year some areas opened to doe only toward the end of season? Also, you avoided several questions and that's fine but why aren't quota information and explanations provided to hunters? If there is a true management plan then this should be available for all hunters to read and understand.
No areas were doe only last year. That has never been implemented on Fort Campbell.

I see a lot of commentary comparing and relating hunting to depredation action. Understand, these are nowhere near the same. The topic here is deer hunting on Fort Campbell as a management action to produce healthier deer populations for current and future users, not management action to reduce animal/human conflict.

whiskey

brw42":2x095rnb said:
@fulldraw":2x095rnb said:
brw42":2x095rnb said:

No areas were doe only last year. That has never been implemented.

As far as quota hunts in the cantonment area, I personally have no involvement other than conducting surveys to provide recommended harvests.

I see a lot of commentary comparing and relating hunting to depredation action. Understand, these are nowhere near the same. The topic here is deer hunting on Fort Campbell as a management action to produce healthier deer populations for current and future users, not management action to reduce animal/human conflict.

Well it felt a lot more like it was on the up and up when Officer Godwin and Officer Curtis were the ones shooting doe near the housing areas, not hand picked biologist buddies shooting who knows what over bait piles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts