Dumb me--- No bullets in the box other than Powerbelts

MarlinSlayer

Promised my 17 year old daughter we'd go out this weekend......I've been swamped at work and forgot to order Barnes expanders like you guys recommended.....I've lost as many deer with No blood trail powerboats as much as I've recovered them....either it's a bang flop or they run with no blood...and yes...I'm hitting them. Last year, had a doe get up....walk a number of yards down hill.....watched her fall over.....again.......as It was an hour till dark I stayed in the stand...climbed down after dark. Gone....went to where I shot her....small blood trail to where she fell over the second time and nothing.......after that....I had heard a deer that was sneaking around the area she was originally traveling, but I had heard a buck grunting and was looking for him....

Long story short, after what you guys have said....and what I have seen...these things fragment completely inside with no exit and very little blood trail

I was going to buy something else like hornady or TC and sight them in today, but got stuck out on a trip. So since Baby girl isn't feeling so good today, we were going to go to range at sunrise, sight new bullets in and go for a midday to evening sit.

If you had to get something better than powerbelts, which would you get that you could buy at academy, bass pro or dicks?
Walmart even.

MarlinSlayer

rem270

I agree Powerbelt's suck.

I have always had great luck with Hornady SST and TC Shockwaves. I shoot 250 grains and surprisingly they both shoot exactly the same out of my gun. I find this out when I was almost out of SST's one time and all I could find was Shockwaves.

Spurhunter

It's a long shot but if you happen to be near Lexington I'm at camp and have plenty Barnes expanders for a 45 and plenty crushed rib sabots. I'd be glad to give you enough to get you through this year. I agree, powerbelts suck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

UTGrad

Hornady SST. Accurate, effective and available at numerous retail stores. I used to shoot Barnes and Scorpion PT Gold but got tired off ordering online or making trip to BPS. Hornady available at Wal Mart, Academy and Dicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Hornady SST or TC Shockwaves (same thing) in 250 or 300 gr ( the latter is my preference). Shot a doe this morning quartering hard to me. Entered the tip of the shoulder and came out at the back of the ribs. Massive damage and blood trail. Fell over 15 yards in front of me

Mudbone

Idk why but I've had excellent luck with powerbelts.
Had one deer with no blood trail. It was an accidental neck shot. No pass through.

Snowwolfe

We swore off powerbelts after two serious bullet failures last year. This season the wife is using Hornady SST's and me, Barnes MV. Both are very accurate and shoot almost to the same POI as the powerbelts.
One thing though, the Barnes are a lot more difficult to push down the barrel. Not sure a smaller person could load them without difficulty.

Spurhunter

Snowwolfe":g99wy6ic said:
We swore off powerbelts after two serious bullet failures last year. This season the wife is using Hornady SST's and me, Barnes MV. Both are very accurate and shoot almost to the same POI as the powerbelts.
One thing though, the Barnes are a lot more difficult to push down the barrel. Not sure a smaller person could load them without difficulty.
Use Harvester Crush Rib Sabots.

jard

I shoot TC shockwaves with no complaints. Fact is, that I believe Hornady SST, Traditions Smackdown, and TC shockwaves are the same exact bullet. As a matter of fact, I bought some traditions smackdown for a friend to sight in his gun (everybody is sold out of everything else) and it even says on the box that it is made by hornady. They all shoot the exact same in my gun and upon inspection, they are identical to the eye except the color of the sabot. Both me and my buddy sighted in at 75 yards and shoot holes touching groups with all 3.

I want something I can buy at academy, dicks, and walmart and never have to order.

SES

Mudbone":1ms478b6 said:
Idk why but I've had excellent luck with powerbelts.
Had one deer with no blood trail. It was an accidental neck shot. No pass through.
X2. Never lost a deer shot with powerbelts. I shoot the 348 grain version with 120 grains of pyrodex.

MarlinSlayer

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

Wife found the Hornady SST's at Sporstsman's Warehouse in Southhaven when she was running errands.

Spurhunter: You are truly a generous man and your offer misquote appreciated....I tell my friends that TNDeer has some of the best guys I've never met.

This truly is the best site on the internet! I'll keep you all posted.

Snowwolfe

Spurhunter":25fp62a2 said:
Snowwolfe":25fp62a2 said:

Will pick up a pack and try them. Thanks for the tip.

Spurhunter

Snowwolfe":1fa2lde0 said:
Spurhunter":1fa2lde0 said:

Will pick up a pack and try them. Thanks for the tip.

I think you have to order them but you'll be glad you did. Somebody here gave me the tip when I couldn't get the Barnes Expanders down my barrel. Hope it works for you and I'm sure it will.

Spurhunter

MarlinSlayer":yh7qy3um said:
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

Wife found the Hornady SST's at Sporstsman's Warehouse in Southhaven when she was running errands.

Spurhunter: You are truly a generous man and your offer misquote appreciated....I tell my friends that TNDeer has some of the best guys I've never met.

This truly is the best site on the internet! I'll keep you all posted.

No problem brother. I got caught in a spot when I got low on Barnes Expanders so I stocked up. REALLY stocked up. Good luck with your new bullets.

Latest posts