Next dumb question!

C1295

Alright, have been doing some reading and want to here your alls opinions. This is gonna be a good one…. Head lamps walking in to your spot. Have read so many opinions and examples on this. It's almost split in two half's. Let's do your alls thoughts.

dogmatik

I use a red light mostly but have used regular white and keep it pointed down. Don't want to be shining up the woods ! That's on private in Tn as well. Down here in Fl I will have a red light facing backwards and a small white light to guide me. There's too many trigger happy yahoos

C1295

I have read so many articles that state as long as you walk at a stead pace and don't stop and shine right at the deer they will pay not attention to it. But, have read many that say the exact opposite.

Dennis

Well, regardless of whether it spooks deer, I would use one on public land for safety reasons. And on private if it prevents me from tripping on something or getting poked in the eye, I would use it. No deer is worth getting hurt over IMO.

Last edited:

Gravey

I have a headlamp that has a bright light, dimmer light, and red light. If I turn it on it's either the dimmer light or red. Sometimes I'll also have a small light in my hand so I can turn it off and on quickly if I need to check something. This is on private ground. If I were on public I would always have ot on when walking in the dark.

Urban_Hunter

Only on public. I'm 100% convinced flashlights negatively impact deer. I also believe it's possible for deer to hear/see movement in the dark and be concerned and not panic and scram out. When you include a light source with that sound/movement it 100% confirms danger (imo)

backyardtndeer

Hunting my farm, I don't typically use any light walking in unless I am walking someone to a stand. Then I just use my mini mag light holding it low to the ground, where they can see to avoid tripping.

kaizen leader

I've walked right past bedded deer with a bright white light and they just looked at me going by. There is no way you can sneak in without a deer hearing you. I watched a deer turn and look for something it heard that turned out to be a cat walking in a field. You know how quiet they are. If they smell you you're done. JMO. Good luck

BSK

U use one (green light) and will continue to use one. I use green because it makes the cateye markers we use to guide us to our stands light up like brilliant emeralds. Red light does not. Red light would be better as deer don't have cones sensitive to red light in their eyes, but it's more important to see where I'm going on steep, uneven terrain.

I have walked right past feeding deer wearing my light. I will see the glowing eyes off to the side and I just walk at a steady pace right past them. Just don't turn and look/shine the light right at them.

DoubleRidge

Hunting private family land...I dont use a light....if I was on public I would use a red or green light...also try to walk in early and allow time for things to settle down...going in early I've walked past deer that just stand there...or bounce off a few feet and stand there...at daybreak...same deer would be blowin and goin.

Trnr

Typically I'll use a headlamp that has a white/red/green combo and a dim red led that is on the back side of the headband. I try to use my red as much as possible but more often than not I use the green as it helps me see better. I always run the dim red one on the back because I'm on public 99% of the time, and I don't trust other people that are out here. The white comes in handy occasionally, but rarely gets used. I have no opinion on white light spooking deer as I have no experience(s) to have an opinion one way or the other

Madbowh

I prefer no light at all, if I do use a light is a white light. Out of a week I took off to hunt last month I used white light twice and seen 2 sets of eyes they just walked off but I stop and don't move until they leave when I run into one. Even without a light I'll stop and wait until something leaves before moving on. I m very slow going in and out

Crappieaddict

I bought a couple of lights that mount to my scope to use for my ongoing hog problem….one is red and one is green. I can see better with the green, but make no mistake, the hogs react to it.

MidTennFisher

I've always read that a white light will alert deer a very long way away whereas red and green aren't as alerting to them.

Early season I use green since it lights the woods up better and I can see those huge orb weaver spiders. Does TN have those Joro spiders yet? We've got them here in the upstate of SC and they're massive. I'd scratch my entire face off if I ran into one of those. They're invasive from Asia.

Once the first few frosts come I switch to red.

kaizen leader

I've always read that a white light will alert deer a very long way away whereas red and green aren't as alerting to them.

Early season I use green since it lights the woods up better and I can see those huge orb weaver spiders. Does TN have those Joro spiders yet? We've got them here in the upstate of SC and they're massive. I'd scratch my entire face off if I ran into one of those. They're invasive from Asia.

Once the first few frosts come I switch to red.
God I hope not. I hate those spider webs.

Snake

I use a very bright rechargeable head lamp . I've seen deer eye's and at times they just walk off and at times just stand there until you walk off . I definitely want to be in my stand before its light and don't want to hurt myself so I'm using a light !

Latest posts